Marinas N.Sporades or Evia

affinite

Visit site
Im thinking about cruising up to the Northern Sporades next year.
Our plan will be to cruise in that direction (from Samos) during June and then leave the boat somewhere secure for July and August and return in September.
Are there any marinas up there ie N. Sporades or Northern end of Evia channel or Gulf of Volos ?
Thanks
Steve

macd

Visit site
The only true marina I know of on the route you describe is at Mitilini, Lesbos (owned by the Setur group, with which you're probably familiar). None in the Evia channel north of the bridge, and none in the Northern Sporades. Plenty of town quays elsewhere, a few almost to marina standard, but without security or any sort of full-time care.

Alternatively, there are several marinas further north in Kalkidiki and at Thessalonika. Also at Chalkis, halfway down the Evia channel.
If a lift-out could fit your plans, there's a yard a short distance west of Orei in the N Evia channel: Dimstef Marine Services: www.dimstef.gr
I've an idea forumite Charles Reed has experience of the latter.

Last edited:

RupertW

Visit site
Spent last year in Sani on Halkadiki. Lovely place to stay and cheaper than Gouvia which we moved from. All the Sporades a long day sail away as is Sithonia and all are great sailing grounds.

Downsides - long taxi from Thessaloniki airport but shuttles much cheaper and very confused but not dangerous seas down to Sporades.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We more-or-less reversed this route this season. Khalkis is the only place that a boat could be left in safety for that period of time. All ports in the Sporades are on anchor AFAIK and not 100% secure anyway, although Skopelos is probably the best of them. Orei is close on secure in most conditions but on anchor. Otherwise the north end of the Evia channel is something of a wasteland.

No experience of Thessalonika.

RupertW

Visit site
I never worked out where the charter boats were based - Skiathos Town? For some reason I thought there was a marina in a bay on the Northern mainland shore at the top of the Evia channel.

macd

Visit site
I never worked out where the charter boats were based - Skiathos Town?

Not something I pay much attention to, but I think most are now based in the Gulf of Volos, although there are some on the pontoon at Loutraki, Skopolos, and no doubt a few at quays elsewhere. Most charter boats, of course are under more-or-less constant supervision, so don't actually need the security of a marina as much as a boat left unattended.

Further to my last post, I'd add for affinite's benefit that most of the marinas in Kalkidiki are pretty pricey. Thessalonika is reasonably-priced and secure, convenient for the airport (less than €20 by taxi), although the coral-worm growth is prodigious.

Last edited:

Hardmy

Visit site
A new marina attached to a big resort called Marina Miraggio opened in July 2016. It is located at the tip of the Kassandra peninsula, hence seems to be more strategically placed than Thessaloniki or Sani. Their website claims that they organise very frequent shuttles between the airport and the resort. I was considering moving my boat there, until I saw the prices. Maybe I am just spoiled by the Ionian. No idea though, how it compares to Porto Carras and Sani.

truscott

Visit site
Like Viv says, Khalkis offers a secure marina facility. Plenty of spaces there this summer when we passed through.

Volos port offers a secure berth as far as weather goes, but sadly Carlos, who used to organize the berths and provided security of sorts, was lost at sea/presumed drowned at the end of this summer. I believe that there is another expat who works/worked for one of the charter companies that could organize berths also. Maybe someone here has his details.

There is also the wall in Achillo, which has twin lazy lines per berth and is relatively protected (the fetch from the prevailing NE's sends quite a swell into Achillo, but the North Eastern Mole seemed to handle this without issue).

There are quite a few haul out spots in the Evia channel also (both North and South of the bridge). Friends have just hauled out for the winter at the yard near Liminis. There seemed to be boats there this summer when we passed through, so that may be an option too. Also at the yard near Orei. Both of these are sled/trailer haul outs but seemed well up to handling boats in our size (12 Meters, with draft of 1.95).

We mostly loved our time there (the crossing to Khalkidiki was not so enjoyable).

Hope this helps.

Cheers, PT

affinite

Visit site
Thanks for all the ideas chaps ..
Sani marina sounded like fun but the published berthing costs are too much (cheaper than Gouvia ?)
€2431 per month is too rich for me.
In fact when I compare it with the annual marina cost at Samos Marina its exorbitant
(12 m in Samos is €3007 vs 12m in Sani €6077)
I think my plans may be changing :)

DaiB

Visit site
You could consider lifting out for the period. We left our boat for August 2015 here
http://www.manitsasmarine.com/ at a good price. It was around E500 for in/out and a month ashore. The boss, Stavros speaks good English. About 3 hours by public transport to Thessoloniki airport.

RupertW

Visit site
Thanks for all the ideas chaps ..
Sani marina sounded like fun but the published berthing costs are too much (cheaper than Gouvia ?)
€2431 per month is too rich for me.
In fact when I compare it with the annual marina cost at Samos Marina its exorbitant
(12 m in Samos is €3007 vs 12m in Sani €6077)
I think my plans may be changing :)

What? - we paid about £3500 for August 2015-August 2016 for 12.3m, and the renewal quote was very similar but we moved on to Italy at the end of the Summer. I would blanche at 6077 Euros too.

affinite

Visit site
What? - we paid about £3500 for August 2015-August 2016 for 12.3m, and the renewal quote was very similar but we moved on to Italy at the end of the Summer. I would blanche at 6077 Euros too.

Thx Rupert
Sounds like the on-line "price list" is negotiable. I'll get in touch

RupertW

Visit site
Thx Rupert
Sounds like the on-line "price list" is negotiable. I'll get in touch

I was just looking at the 5 year pound/euro graph and as I always remember the prices translated to pounds I wonder whether every Med marina would have seemed cheap that year as the Euro hit 1.40 plus. But good luck with Sani, I loved everything about it but the location for nearby sailing destinations. Just remember that the nights out in the marina will be a big choice of high end resort restaurants and bars with prices to match. Paying £15 for souvlaki feels odd in a way that it does not when paying a pound or two more for fillet steak with a fantastic sauce or freshly carved sushi or whatever.

Caladh

Visit site
You could consider lifting out for the period. We left our boat for August 2015 here
http://www.manitsasmarine.com/ at a good price. It was around E500 for in/out and a month ashore. The boss, Stavros speaks good English. About 3 hours by public transport to Thessoloniki airport.

Would also +1 for Manitsas and Stravros. We hauled out for July and August 2 years ago. Use of yard car to get to Lidl (!) and decent taxi fare to Thessy. Thasos town is near enough for sorting out stuff before and after lifts.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I completely forgot the little yard at Orei. Friends have wintered their boat there and were very happy with the facilities. They were able to hire a one-way car to Athens. I understand that there is a direct bus service also. Probably not a very expensive option. Three year old post about it here http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?378163-New-boatyard-in-Orei-Evia-(DimStef)

From another post - Sailing Holidays have a base at Orei.

affinite

Visit site
Thanks again all
Anyone used the Resort Marina at Porto Carras, Halkadiki ?

Vyv - I think the yard at Orei looks promising - thanks for the info

macd

Visit site
Thanks again all
Anyone used the Resort Marina at Porto Carras, Halkadiki ?

We rang them for a price a couple of years ago. Still under counselling for PTSD.
This is a report of a visit: "Rip off prices, dreary empty marina. Unhelpful staff."

If Kalkidiki is now on your radar, there is a small marina in Ormos Panayia, on the east coast of Sinfonia. Very good natural shelter, lovely spot, run by the municipality and cheap (CA entry from 2015 quotes €1 per m per night). Haven't berthed there but visited on foot: friendly and helpful reception. Unfortunately I have no contact details, but know that the office is manned only part-time.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We rang them for a price a couple of years ago. Still under counselling for PTSD.
This is a report of a visit: "Rip off prices, dreary empty marina. Unhelpful staff."

If Kalkidiki is now on your radar, there is a small marina in Ormos Panayia, on the east coast of Sinfonia. Very good natural shelter, lovely spot, run by the municipality and cheap (CA entry from 2015 quotes €1 per m per night). Haven't berthed there but visited on foot: friendly and helpful reception. Unfortunately I have no contact details, but know that the office is manned only part-time.

We berthed there in 2009, when it was being completed. Agree, a very pleasant place, especially for free, as it was then.

We passed Porto Carras a few days previously but didn't stop, reputedly very expensive. We berthed at Nea Marmaras for a couple of days but on our own anchor at the time.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Im thinking about cruising up to the Northern Sporades next year.
Our plan will be to cruise in that direction (from Samos) during June and then leave the boat somewhere secure for July and August and return in September.
Are there any marinas up there ie N. Sporades or Northern end of Evia channel or Gulf of Volos ?
Thanks
Steve

Steve, we are planning a similar mission for 2017, leaving Yacht Marine in Marmaris around start of June, and sailing through to early August as Grandchildren are coming - so school holidays only! We were going to Croatia, but decided that the last week July 1st week august would be hell on floats, given that its the Italian Holidays - so change of plan.

Any one know how crowded the Sporades are then, or what the sailing would be like in Halkidiki area? especially for Kids if thats less crowded. We normally like safe anchorages and use town keys less often.

The place at Orei sounds promising, so long as they don't have a messolonghi styled boat breaker trailer! Any one know what the drag our facilities are like?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Chris we sailed Croatia in July and Aug last year and again in 2014 , we didn't ready notices an increase in boats , it not like the Ionian , where you get this influx on Italian and charters , although we would normal be central, North Croatia around that time .
I can't comment what Marina and town quay are like , has you know we live on our hook .
Just tho I pass that on you .