Marinas N.Sporades or Evia

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
Looking forward to exploring more of the northern parts this Summer as we'll be based on Murter probably rather than Kremik which used to be our base. Apart from a couple of stops on the way back from Venice 3 years ago we've never explored North of Sibenik.
While I wrote that I prefer anchoring, and there are many possibilities for that that have no concessions and are, therefore, free, two that I enjoy and regularly visit, are buoyed and fees will be collected. You will be easily able to reach them from Murter.

The first is at the north of Dugi Otok, Pantera bay, and the anchorage, now buoyed, is in the northern section, which gives good shelter from anything other than a strong sirocco, when the fetch is enough to become uncomfortable. It is then possible to move to the small bay south of the village of Veli Rat. But it is a joy to dinghy ashore and explore the outer shoreline.

Pantera.jpg

CC08G-10c.jpg

CC08G-10e.jpg

I also never miss the island of Ilovik, further to the north, which with its channel formed by its adjacent and protective Sv Petar island, is a funnel for north-south cruisers, a gateway to the islands where one sees some interesting passage-making vessels. The village is charming with its traffic-free main street (more an alley-way) and some good restaurants. I have been going to the Amico - right by the steamer pier - since 1980 - when it was the only one and had just one fish and one meat dish under the communist command economy. Then, as now, I have always chosen the small, whole roasted calamari with potatoes and salad - superb.

There are buoys or moorings on the inner, southern side of a pier, but they can be crowded and noisy. Far better to take up one of the buoys laid along the strait between the two islands on the northern side of the channel. It is not always comfortable; a current runs through the strait and with a wind against tide situation there can be turbulence. Also, Ilovik has some of the largest and hardest buoys in Croatia and at the change of tide the stream between the islands reverses direction, the moored boats swing at slack water and start to hit the buoy. I haul up hard until it hangs from my pulpit and I pivot around the buoy at the change of tide.

Ilovik.jpg

CC08G-11d.jpg

Ilovik2.jpg

RupertW

Visit site
Thanks for the tips Barnac1e - Ilovik was one of our stops from Venice and it was beautiful - and very welcome an hour after being chased by two waterspouts.

Will look out for the other one. I hope the North is as good as the South as having endless anchorages without concesssions. In 4 years of cruising there we never paid once to anchor so I'm sure we will find similar.