Marinas N.Sporades or Evia

RupertW

Visit site
We are back in Croatia again next season after 3 in Greece with the last in Halkadiki so Sporades most trips. Croatia has some crowded anchorages and many lovely ones which aren't crowded at all. 1st July will be weeks before the Italians arrive.
Sporades were a great sailing ground - from buzzy drunken nights on great town quays on Skiathos and Skopelos to huge deserted anchorage at Planitis or Siferi just 10 minutes walk from Skiathos town but hidden by a hill. Koukonaries is much recommended but we found it crowded and rolly so just went once. I'd give Sporades a go for a week but personally I can't wait to get back to the islands south of Split.

SarahJ

Visit site
In answer to the question on how crowded the Sporades are in late July and August: the towns like Skopelos, Skiathos and Patitiri on Alonissos are very very busy. We have had a holiday house in Alonissos for three years so know the area well and have chartered a few times there too. There are, however, great anchorages on all the islands to hide away, swim and enjoy yourselves. It depends on how much sightseeing you want; if it's just the beautiful clear bays and some deserted islands I think you would be OK. Can't help with the marina thing but we have heard good things about Orei too. Sail Aegean run charters out of Volos and have maintenance services there.

RupertW

Visit site
Just one other thing - like almost every busy marina or town quay then arriving between 11 and 2 pretty much guarantees a space. However the normal anchorage tactic of arriving in the evening to take spaces from the lunch stop motor boats doesn't work in the Sporades as there is no marina berth for them all to go back to. But apart from Koukanies there always seemed to be loads of room to anchor.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Chris we sailed Croatia in July and Aug last year and again in 2014 , we didn't ready notices an increase in boats , it not like the Ionian , where you get this influx on Italian and charters , although we would normal be central, North Croatia around that time .
I can't comment what Marina and town quay are like , has you know we live on our hook .
Just tho I pass that on you .

Vic, thats encouraging - perhaps we may stick to plan A then - ending up in Monfalcone for 1 month in August - then back down for more in Croatia in September. Being new to the Croatian coast - and basing out of Monfalcone, is the Northern Croatian area as cruisable as south Croatia - we are not especially fond of doing town quays, preferring to anchor off or line ashore, but needing town Quays when provisions and water run out.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Just one other thing - like almost every busy marina or town quay then arriving between 11 and 2 pretty much guarantees a space. However the normal anchorage tactic of arriving in the evening to take spaces from the lunch stop motor boats doesn't work in the Sporades as there is no marina berth for them all to go back to. But apart from Koukanies there always seemed to be loads of room to anchor.

Thanks for your helpful input - I suspect I shall just go on a whim, depending which way the wing is blowing!!!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Vic, thats encouraging - perhaps we may stick to plan A then - ending up in Monfalcone for 1 month in August - then back down for more in Croatia in September. Being new to the Croatian coast - and basing out of Monfalcone, is the Northern Croatian area as cruisable as south Croatia - we are not especially fond of doing town quays, preferring to anchor off or line ashore, but needing town Quays when provisions and water run out.

One tip is , mooring buoys fees are not normallly collected till late afternoon , so we found that we could pick up an buoy even in places like Hvar , go off and do you shopping or explore and then get off by early afternoon without it costing many thing .
Water is a bit more of a problem , some Marinas will let you just go on and buy water , aeind 10euros for 300lts
but we always keep a couple of 20lts cans and pick up water when we find it , there plenty of camping site with taps .
The biggest problem is GAS . Unlike Greece or other European country , you won't find it in marinas as a rule or supermakers , well we not any way , you need to fill them up at a gas filling station , ( gas not as in petor garage ) although we have found a few garages that will , what you need to be away of some gas station will not fill your bottles unless they have a dated stamp , so best to make sure you have plenty of gas .we found .
And remember to check in at the first port of call or at less turn off your AIS if you have one , or there a very good chance of being fined .

Chris_Robb

Visit site
One tip is , mooring buoys fees are not normallly collected till late afternoon , so we found that we could pick up an buoy even in places like Hvar , go off and do you shopping or explore and then get off by early afternoon without it costing many thing .
Water is a bit more of a problem , some Marinas will let you just go on and buy water , aeind 10euros for 300lts
but we always keep a couple of 20lts cans and pick up water when we find it , there plenty of camping site with taps .
The biggest problem is GAS . Unlike Greece or other European country , you won't find it in marinas as a rule or supermakers , well we not any way , you need to fill them up at a gas filling station , ( gas not as in petor garage ) although we have found a few garages that will , what you need to be away of some gas station will not fill your bottles unless they have a dated stamp , so best to make sure you have plenty of gas .we found .
And remember to check in at the first port of call or at less turn off your AIS if you have one , or there a very good chance of being fined .

Vic - good advice! thanks

RupertW

Visit site

You are dead right on Gas - we had to get to know the right people to get containers filled cheaply. Big floppy handed guy in Kremik marina chandlers was really good at sorting it but had to become a friend first.

Never really used bouys after our first season there - on Hvar we loved Jelsa town quay and bus to Hvar town sometimes. Parmigiana too expensive. As we are not liveaboards we always have our marina base at the end of a week or two to get water gas etc.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Our Sporades and Evia passage in 2016 was as follows:
Planitis (from Evstratios) 4 July
Skiathos 12 July
Kalkhis 25 July
Andros 2 August.

We found it all to be pretty quiet, did not have problems finding a stern-to berth when we wanted one and anchorages generally close to empty. It could be that the migrant problems have deterred visitors in 2016, maybe less concern in 2017?

We have not been north of the Sporades since 2009 but then we thought it an excellent place for younger people. Lots of sandy beaches, far better than many we (and you) are used to on the islands further south. Then it was remarkably empty of yachts in July.

Will PM you with details of our CA member friend whose boat is at the Orei yard.

macd

Visit site
Any one know...what the sailing would be like in Halkidiki area? especially for Kids if thats less crowded. We normally like safe anchorages and use town keys less often.

The place at Orei sounds promising, so long as they don't have a messolonghi styled boat breaker trailer! Any one know what the drag our facilities are like?

Typical summer conditions in Kalkidiki: generally quite light winds, often with a marked diurnal effect, but usually not above F4 and often less. Strong winds sometimes blow down the gulf from Thessolonika all the way to the Northern Sporades, but are less pronounced in the other gulfs. The Meltemi rarely intrudes with any great strength and for the most part fetches are obviously quite small. The area is more prone to thunderstorm activity than elsewhere in the Aegean. In brisk winds the lee of Mount Athos can give increased (gusty) winds and confused seas.

There are several excellent anchorages scattered about, particularly on either side of the middle finger (Sinfonia). Overall, a good area for chilling and kindly to non-salty 'crew'.

I've no personal knowledge of lifting at the yard near Orei, but our boat is currently at a yard 10 miles south of Chalkis, which probably uses a similar 'sledging' arrangement (actually a very large trailer with wheels). If so, it's a bit nervy the first time, but our chap certainly knew what he was doing so it was quick and straightforward. I suspect any yard that wasn't would quickly succumb to Darwinian selection.

Last edited:

Caladh

Visit site
Steve, we are planning a similar mission for 2017, leaving Yacht Marine in Marmaris around start of June, and sailing through to early August as Grandchildren are coming - so school holidays only! We were going to Croatia, but decided that the last week July 1st week august would be hell on floats, given that its the Italian Holidays - so change of plan.

Any one know how crowded the Sporades are then, or what the sailing would be like in Halkidiki area? especially for Kids if thats less crowded. We normally like safe anchorages and use town keys less often.

The place at Orei sounds promising, so long as they don't have a messolonghi styled boat breaker trailer! Any one know what the drag our facilities are like?

Chris - will chat to you re. Halkidiki at our spring meet !

affinite

Visit site
Thought that you might be interested in an update on my research ...
I'm waiting on a reply to an email to Orei re overwinter haulout.
I've had a quote from Sani marina of €4900 for 2 months berthing next summer :ambivalence:
I also had a quote of €1205 for the same period at Mytilini marina
I think we will stick to the Sporades next year.
N. Aegean can wait until I can persuade the Admiral to spend the summer cruising there.

Spring - East Sporades,
Summer - Mytilini, 1 week on the "Boatel" with Grandkids
Autumn - West Sporades
Winter layup - Orei

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
For reference, I paid €500 to one of the Aegina yards for haul out, storage ashore for six weeks July/August and relaunch, inclusive of water and electricity. We also had a quote from the yard on the mainland opposite Evia, south of Kalkhis, that was about 10% more.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
It's very much a personal thing and what you mean by "cruisable". I begin my summer cruise from Italy, not far from Monfalcone, declare in at Umag then don't stop until the southern tip of Istria, either the southern Soline arm of Veruda or Medulin bay, both decent anchorages and excellent refuges from the bora - or any other wind direction. Then it's heigh ho for the Dalmatian archipelago where the best cruising areas begin. In my opinion, the north doesn't compare with the islands south of Zadar or Split - I just don't get that far any more, finding enough good cruising north of the Kornati and, important for me, with a lot less charterers.

Heading back I often deviate a little east to Pag, Rab, Punat and Cres, look in at Trget on the mainland before retracing my steps back to Umag. All a bit dull for those that like to put a lot of fresh sea miles under the keel, but it suits me who prefers to sleep comfortably every night at anchor in a well-protected anchorage or, less preferably but sometimes unavoidably, on a buoy.

RupertW

Visit site
It's very much a personal thing and what you mean by "cruisable". I begin my summer cruise from Italy, not far from Monfalcone, declare in at Umag then don't stop until the southern tip of Istria, either the southern Soline arm of Veruda or Medulin bay, both decent anchorages and excellent refuges from the bora - or any other wind direction. Then it's heigh ho for the Dalmatian archipelago where the best cruising areas begin. In my opinion, the north doesn't compare with the islands south of Zadar or Split - I just don't get that far any more, finding enough good cruising north of the Kornati and, important for me, with a lot less charterers.

Heading back I often deviate a little east to Pag, Rab, Punat and Cres, look in at Trget on the mainland before retracing my steps back to Umag. All a bit dull for those that like to put a lot of fresh sea miles under the keel, but it suits me who prefers to sleep comfortably every night at anchor in a well-protected anchorage or, less preferably but sometimes unavoidably, on a buoy.

Looking forward to exploring more of the northern parts this Summer as we'll be based on Murter probably rather than Kremik which used to be our base. Apart from a couple of stops on the way back from Venice 3 years ago we've never explored North of Sibenik.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Chris
when you've achieved that could you come back on with some tips ;)
Ive only managed to get Samos-Lesvos approved so far !
Steve

I just hope that I will be able to come back to you with some tips - hopefully we might even meet up after all these years..... by the way, are you a member of the CA?