Marina staff tip?

clyst

Visit site
If helped to moor in a visiting marina by marina staff is tipping in order ??
I personally dont(all part of the job in my opinion) but on the occassions that they have "taken a rope" they seem to loiter a bit as if hopefull.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I expect that you regularly take other folks lines as they are mooring up as do we. It's all part of boating and I don't expect any of us would expect anything other than a thankyou. And we're not paid so why should you think about giving a tip to a paid employee? All part of their job surely?

sarabande

Visit site
No 3 in the 2:30 at Lincoln ?

No, a box of beer for them all at the end of the season, or the beginning if you wish to be obsequious. And be able to address them all by their first name :)

Garold

Visit site
On the one hand, I understand from various conversations with marina employees, that the pay is quite low and so I am sure that any tip would be appreciated. And tipping is a way to reward good service and differentiate the good from the bad. And sometimes it's an investment, and stores up a bit of goodwill for when you really need someone's help in the future.

Then again, if marina employees don't take your ropes and help an often expensively-charged visitor it's not easy to see how they might fill their day otherwise. Perhaps they are hanging around because they have few other pressing tasks?

Personally, I've found that passing a few words of chat, acknowledging their help, and being generally pleasant to either harbourmaster's staff or marina staff, has often paid off with a happy reception next time we visit somewhere. And I often tip too, just in case I want to come back on a busy bank holiday.

Cheers

Garold

stephenh

Visit site
I worked in boat yards / marinas many years ago, and have taken many a rope; I would not have expected a tip and nor did my colleagues, but would have expected to be thanked.

I was continually surprised at the shortage of 'thank you's' on the pontoons and remain so to this day, attitudes appear not to have changed.
( from my frequent observations at least....)

:(

Victoria Sponge

Visit site
If we're helped (doesn't happen that often to be honest) I always say thank you. I think that's sufficient given the cost of staying in a marina these days IMHO.

Pinnacle

Visit site
I personally dont(all part of the job in my opinion) but on the occassions that they have "taken a rope" they seem to loiter a bit as if hopefull.

I wonder what MoodyNick's thoughts on the topic would be? ;)

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I'd love to know where these marinas with staff free to assist with ropes are! Certainly not on the Clyde, unless you request assistance on the VHF before entering, and even then you might find there are no staff available. You certainly couldn't rely on there being someone to take a rope anywhere I've been.

prv

Visit site
I'd love to know where these marinas with staff free to assist with ropes are!

Croatia. Not usually the UK as far as my experience goes :)

Actually I have had people come down to take lines in Plymouth, but unless I was singlehanded I'd rather have my own crew step off with their lines as briefed. And preferably without an audience :)

Pete

Stork_III

Visit site
I'd love to know where these marinas with staff free to assist with ropes are! Certainly not on the Clyde, unless you request assistance on the VHF before entering, and even then you might find there are no staff available. You certainly couldn't rely on there being someone to take a rope anywhere I've been.
Brightlingsea & Royal Yacht Club Ostend.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Perhaps all you people that never get help are known as being non-tippers? :eek:

Grockles usually offer to "help" me when I arrive at the slate quay on my own. Sometimes, if in a good mood, I will let them. Usually I regret it. :D

"Just wrap it round the big wooden post" (points at far post), "No, not that one, the one further away, there's plenty of rope, just unravel it a bit" (now they have completly tangled the neat coil I passed across). "That's it, round a few more times, now tie a knot, - anything will do, well just tuck it under itself a few times. It doesn't matter, I'll sort it out in a minute. Thank you, No not far, I've only pottered up & down the Straits for a bit, yes it's lovely isn't it? Are you on holiday . . . ."

:rolleyes: Bless 'em, but they do mean well & I don't like to be rude (despite my persona on here:p)

Stork_III

Visit site
We went into Brightlingsea on Friday teatime. The HM told us, over the radio, to sort ourselves out, as he was busy.

He was in fact being the water taxi, which wasn't running, if you see what I mean.
Can happen during the week, not normal. We went in Sat, one HM on pontoon for lines, one HM in dory to push stern in when blown off. Could be my HR that does it though.

Visit site

I have never received a tip from Marina staff but would be happy to do so. A little "Thank you for coming to our expensive Marina" followed by a few coins being discretely slipped into my pocket would always be appreciated. :rolleyes: