Marina Prices

rigman

Visit site
Looking aroung the Marina (lefkas) and this also applies to most Marinas now, there are more and more catamarans. Some resemble floating apartment blocks and are just as wide. Now I haven't approached the Marina about this, but I have done some measuring. One of these Lagoon type cats take up 2 x 12 metre berths. ( 2 pick up lines). Theye are charged 50% more for the privilege. Why can't my neighbour and myself (both 12 x 3.5 metre) get the same deal. That would be 1 charge x 1.5 divided by 2 which would give us 25% discount. Either that or charge the cats double. Electric and water don't come into the equation as its a separate charge. Has anyone done a deal for 2 boats in a Marina?

V1701

Visit site
Marinas are very reluctant to do "deals" in my experience, in their eyes it sets a precedent and then everybody wants the same, so short of you & your mate selling your boats and getting a cat between you you'll be very lucky. But you can ask...

SeamanStaines

Visit site
Your calculation is wrong. A typical 12mtr Catamaran is unlikely to be more than about 6.5mts, That's because you cant extend the beam to length ration by too much. For example we are 12.6mts on a 6.7 mtr beam. When you put two 12mtr monohulls into adjoining berths you expect some room between them, say a metre and you certainly need more than a 3.5mtr berth width. A typical cruising monohull, 12mts in lengh of the type you see all over the Ionian will have a beam of more like 4.2 mts (12 metre Benetau) so thats 4.2 x 2 plus say a metre between the boats which by my calculation is nearly 10 mts. on that basis a 50% additional charge for the catamaran seems excessive! In addition the catamarans are often able to access shallower parts of the marina that are not available to keel boats.
-Of course you get catamarans with a litte more beam, and older monohulls are often narrower, but that's not haw a marina can calculate its prices. Where I get upset is (particularly in Spain) is when they move us up to the 12 - 15 range and then charge us twice!

Last edited:

rigman

Visit site
Your calculation is wrong. A typical 12mtr Catamaran is unlikely to be more than about 6.5mts, That's because you cant extend the beam to length ration by too much. For example we are 12.6mts on a 6.7 mtr beam. When you put two 12mtr monohulls into adjoining berths you expect some room between them, say a metre and you certainly need more than a 3.5mtr berth width. A typical cruising monohull, 12mts in lengh of the type you see all over the Ionian will have a beam of more like 4.2 mts (12 metre Benetau) so thats 4.2 x 2 plus say a metre between the boats which by my calculation is nearly 10 mts. on that basis a 50% additional charge for the catamaran seems excessive! In addition the catamarans are often able to access shallower parts of the marina that are not available to keel boats.
-Of course you get catamarans with a litte more beam, and older monohulls are often narrower, but that's not haw a marina can calculate its prices. Where I get upset is (particularly in Spain) is when they move us up to the 12 - 15 range and then charge us twice!

Hmmm.......1 metre between boats. Don't often see that. I agree some of the more "modern hull" shapes have bigger beams than our traditional long keel boat. (soon will be square methinks............yuk) However as Mr Staines suggests a square metre calculation would be fair.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
When we were cruising on our 27' Albin Vega and went into a marina (rarely) we would almost invariably be allocated a berth which 'paired' us with a catamaran; they could collect the 50/100% surcharge from the cat and being about 8' wide, still squeeze us into the adjoining berth.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
When we were cruising on our 27' Albin Vega and went into a marina (rarely) we would almost invariably be allocated a berth which 'paired' us with a catamaran; they could collect the 50/100% surcharge from the cat and being about 8' wide, still squeeze us into the adjoining berth.

Many of the marinas in Croatia, including mine, are charging me 100% surcharge for cats. They do squeeze a monohull in at the side of me but the finger pontoons are set wider than further down I think.

Even one mooring buoy this year tried to charge me 50% surcharge even though our width is of no relevance on a buoy. I dropped the buoy and anchored instead.

I don't think its fair but as they are open to negotiation for payment well in advance I'm actually paying around 50% so I'm reasonably happy.

I do pay very heavily for the travel hoist which also seems unfair as it can only take one boat at a time whatever the size. Unfortunately there are only two hoists within 50 miles which can take our width so I can't be too picky!

Richard

Tranona

Visit site
Yes that sounds good to me. Much fairer.

Whatever method you use there are winners and losers. Many marinas in other parts of the Med do use the L*B for charges. However length is much easier to use as you just take it from the registration document. The problem with cats is that they effectively take two berths in a marina laid out for monohulls if the berth is between fingers (unless a small boat - rare in the Med can be squeezed in), but if they are just stern to as in some, then a 50% surcharge seems reasonable as a cat takes up 50% more quay space than a typical mono of the same length.

Whatever method is used somebody will always feel victimised!

rigman

Visit site
Lefkas marina was advertising multihulls at no extra charge, have the dropped this???

I have just read their website prices. You are correct I wrongly assumed 50% surcharge, This is bizarre. Makes my case stronger. Mono hulls subsidising cats. Time for a visit to Mr Spiros Marina Manager on Monday.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I have just read their website prices. You are correct I wrongly assumed 50% surcharge, This is bizarre. Makes my case stronger. Mono hulls subsidising cats. Time for a visit to Mr Spiros Marina Manager on Monday.

There not much Spiros going to do , new charges have came from up high , I think there now going to be some big changes in lafkes , especially now sun sail have given them move revenue to play with .

grafozz

Visit site
I was in Lefkas marina in a cat last year and as we were moored alongside the long / town end pontoon took up no more length than a mono-maran,
was were charged the same rate , quite rightly !

rigman

Visit site
I was in Lefkas marina in a cat last year and as we were moored alongside the long / town end pontoon took up no more length than a mono-maran,
was were charged the same rate , quite rightly !
Yes thats where sunsail have the cats. Fair comment. I was really referring to stern in moorings.

Bitterend

Visit site
I'm sorry Rigman, but I disagree...you don't have a case. Marinas fees are what they are, if you don't like them then you are free to move. I'm sure Spiros has had this conversation many times. The perception that someone has a better deal than you is misplaced. If a cat is stern-to, same as a monohull, each boat occupies the space it needs. Therefore both boats have spaces equal to their individual needs.
I think the Lefkas pricing is excellent, it attracts a mix of boats and doesn't penalise one type. Its good marketing, its good for the marina and good for the excellent town adjacent to the marina.

rigman

Visit site
I'm sorry Rigman, but I disagree...you don't have a case. Marinas fees are what they are, if you don't like them then you are free to move. I'm sure Spiros has had this conversation many times. The perception that someone has a better deal than you is misplaced. If a cat is stern-to, same as a monohull, each boat occupies the space it needs. Therefore both boats have spaces equal to their individual needs.
I think the Lefkas pricing is excellent, it attracts a mix of boats and doesn't penalise one type. Its good marketing, its good for the marina and good for the excellent town adjacent to the marina.
So you have a catamaran then ????