Marina electricity usage/cost

Elessar

Visit site
After reading this it piqued my interest so I rang Premier head office and asked the price at my marina. They refused to answer! Saying I had to call my own marina...odd. So I did and the answer is 42p per unit.... So are there different prices at different Premier marinas? I asked that question of head office and again they refused to answer.
Why would you ring head office ? Call into or ask your marina is the obvious thing to do. Unless you like having a moan.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Each Marina could be getting their electricity from a different supplier hence a different base cost plus the marina admin charge which should be the same hence a difference between marinas.
Which Premier are you in ?
This is likely to be the explanation. There are regional differences in electricity costs, for businesses at least. We’re all paying the same at home unless of a legacy deal.

Elessar

Visit site
Because I was curious to know if it was the same price across all their marinas. Why would you suggest I like
having a moan?
Well to be fair you were having a moan! Don’t know about you but I know the guys in the marina many by name as they are the ones looking after my boat. It wouldn’t occur to me to ring head office.

TwoHooter

Visit site
Our marina just went up from 16p to 65p per kWh. Plus service charge. Based on the last 12 months' consumption we think our annual electricity bill for the boat could be £700. A friend who runs a shop is now paying 85p kWh.

But.....
  • Thinking of my friend with the shop, he could run a 3KVA petrol generator and beat his tariff, and on the boat we have a diesel generator. I can't do much to reduce consumption when we are not on board but I'm thinking of running the boat as if it were at anchor when we're on board in the berth. Seems a bit off to use a generator in a marina berth but I'm going to experiment. Have to see how it goes. I bet I can beat the marina tariff.
  • We chose a petrol hybrid for our next car to replace our 8 year old diesel - we considered a BEV but decided against it because to some extent we saw this coming.
  • We are installing a wood-burning stove at home, an Esse Warmheart on which we can cook a casserole and boil a kettle. We own some woodland, bought years ago, so fuel isn't an issue so long as we can fight off the firewood thieves.
  • A tourism business in which we have an interest is planning to redesign the café menu to take out half the chillers and has boxed up all the china and now uses disposables. Ice cream may be offered only for a few weeks at the height of the summer,. The sound of all those compressors running 24/7/365 is frightening, and so is the cost of hot washing-up water, so changes are being made.
  • Another business in which I am involved is probably running its Christmas Special Event for the last time. The cost of energy has gone up so high it dwarfs all the other expenses and makes it non-viable without local government subsidy.
What I am saying is that I don't think these very high prices will last. Demand destruction will see to that. Lots of people will find ways to reduce consumption. The cure for high prices is high prices. But cheap electricity is obviously a thing of the past (except in China and India where they are building new coal-fired power stations - and, yes, that's a political statement, but it's true and shouldn't be ignored).

Momac

Visit site
That’s a lot more than ours when the boat is left sealed and unattended. Makes sense if you are cooking and doing washing.
£1 was a slight exaggeration. But it is on an unoccupied boat except for me for an hour on Sunday.
On Sunday the energy used was 3.119kWh =88p, On Monday 2.533kWh=72p. Of that 2p per day is the battery charger .
There are four small vents. Maybe I should cover them .

lustyd

Visit site
except in China and India where they are building new coal-fired power stations - and, yes, that's a political statement, but it's true and shouldn't be ignored).
Actually China has more renewables than anywhere else and is at the forefront of ultra high voltage network building. It’s not true it’s propaganda and you need to research better.

ylop

Visit site
TwoHooter are your fuel efficiency / power outputs of your generator actually validated for small generators? I suspect you wouldn’t be significantly cheaper if at all - and don’t forget you’ll have maintenance on the Jenny. Id look to spend the money on wind or solar so you minimise the need for shore power.

doug748

Visit site
What we say:

[QUOTE.................But cheap electricity is obviously a thing of the past (except in China and India where they are building new coal-fired power stations - and, yes, that's a political statement, but it's true and shouldn't be ignored).
[/QUOTE]

...................................... It’s not true it’s propaganda and you need to research better.

What New Scientist says:

"China was responsible for more than half of the new coal power station capacity being built around the world last year, showing how much the country is propping up one of the worst drivers of climate change.

Nearly 200 countries pledged a “phasing down” of coal at the COP26 climate summit last year. But figures from a report by the non-profit Global Energy Monitor show that is nowhere near being realised yet. Globally, the number of coal power stations is actually growing as new constructions more than offset the closure of old plants.

Construction of new coal-fired stations is occurring overwhelmingly in Asia, with China accounting for 52 per cent of the 176 gigawatts of coal capacity under construction in 20 countries last year. The global figure is barely changed from the 181 GW that was under construction in 2020, despite authoritative analyses showing that no more new coal projects can be built if climate goals are to be met."

lustyd

Visit site
Indeed, but the west already had coal stations installed so those figures are kind of meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Much like we prevent nations gaining nuclear weapons but keep our own.
You’ll need to change your search to find the truth of the matter. China are leading the way in renewables and power transfer. They also have more people than most countries, and the vast majority of their coal generation is used to produce single use tat for the west. Probably the reason the propaganda engines are running so hot to convince us they are evil. Wouldn’t want to lose our status in the world…

Lightwave395

Visit site
Waiting with breath held for my berthing contract renewal next month, current contract includes electricity but I'll be surprised if that doesn't change or the overall cost goes up, still 2900 euros is pretty good for (IMHO) a very nice marina compared with around here in the Solent I guess

RupertW

Visit site
£1 was a slight exaggeration. But it is on an unoccupied boat except for me for an hour on Sunday.
On Sunday the energy used was 3.119kWh =88p, On Monday 2.533kWh=72p. Of that 2p per day is the battery charger .
There are four small vents. Maybe I should cover them .
My thinking was that I could dry out the air in all my boat but not all the air from outside.

lumphammer

Visit site
Yes that makes sense. Must admit that I hadn't thought of that!
I've just checked on-line and all Premier Marinas seem to charge the same i.e. 42p. I haven't checked each of them but Falmouth ,Chichester, Eastbourne and Gerry's marina in the Hamble are all the same price.

lustyd

Visit site
Blimey I’m glad I left Premier! Mine is 27p at Haslar.
With these prices rising I wonder if the next craze will be fitting more modern chargers. Someone recently reported their usage plummeted when fitting a Victron to replace something older and dumber.

TwoHooter

Visit site
With these prices rising I wonder if the next craze will be fitting more modern chargers. Someone recently reported their usage plummeted when fitting a Victron to replace something older and dumber.
Demand destruction is occurring all over the place. The cure for high prices is high prices.

The Q

Visit site
  • A tourism business in which we have an interest is planning to redesign the café menu to take out half the chillers and has boxed up all the china and now uses disposables. Ice cream may be offered only for a few weeks at the height of the summer,. The sound of all those compressors running 24/7/365 is frightening, and so is the cost of hot washing-up water, so changes are being made.
A local frozen food shop has got rid of all but one of it's freezers, and gone over to selling mostly canned food..

I worked for a couple of years in a Tescos as a maintenance man, on the roof of the store were 18 compressor packs just for the frozen and fresh food, each pack contained 6 compressors....
Then we get onto the air conditioning...
Note this was a standard store not an "extra"
I think you can see why supermarket prices are going up...

lumphammer

Visit site
Before the last increase Premier were charging 18p / unit, then the contract ran out with their existing supplier and the price rocketed. I would imagine it won't be 27p for long

Momac

Visit site
My thinking was that I could dry out the air in all my boat but not all the air from outside.
Well the vents are very small but I sealed them with tape at the weekend.
The energy use suggests a benefit but not lifechanging. It looks like the dehumidifier will taks longer to fill its tank - which is good.