Marina electricity costs?

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
Hi,
I've just been charged 40p per kWh for electricity at Clyde Marina (Ardrossan).
Is that reasonable?
I'm being charge 26.2p/kWh at home.
And I'm really confused about the legislation around the mark-up marinas are allowed.
I know that no mark-up.is allowed for rented accommodation.

Emmark

Visit site
It could be a case of one marina is on a fixed rate tariff signed 3/4 years ago while the other is on a variable rate at current prices.
Last time I checked my electric was much cheaper at my marina than it is at home, I think I have only bought credit 2/3 times since 2022 though.

Sneaky Pete

Visit site
40p is unreasonable for electricity but marinas will be classed as commercial, James Watt I believe charge 45p Tarbert are cheaper unfortunately we will never get to know how much they buy in the electricity but like everything else in the UK leisure industry us peasants will continue to get ripped off. I can see the benefits off a wind jenny and solar.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
The person next to me in the marina and he lives on board and his electricbill is 60 pounds a month.
My pal in a marina pays 60p per unit. Apparently the marina is stuck with a fixed deal they made which initially looked good. Will change eventually .

SimpleSailor

Visit site
40p is unreasonable for electricity but marinas will be classed as commercial, James Watt I believe charge 45p Tarbert are cheaper unfortunately we will never get to know how much they buy in the electricity but like everything else in the UK leisure industry us peasants will continue to get ripped off. I can see the benefits off a wind jenny and solar.
Not if that is what the supply company are charging!

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
My current rate for electricity at home is 23.79p /kWh plus 61.25p per day standing charge, with Vat at 5%.
The business rate, for a medium sized business (15,000 to 20,000 kWh per year) is 24.4p /kWh, and I can't find out what the standing charge is, plus 20% Vat, =28.28 p/kWh.
That leave about 10p/kWh to pay for the standing charge and the network of cables and meters in the Marina. That's 33%, which strikes me as more than enough, especially when it is in addition the berthing fee. The berthing fee pays for the infrastructure, and I would include the electrical network in that, staff, business rates and marina maintenance.