Marina Costs

Opsguy1979

Visit site
Hi Folks

Im currently on the Ouse but getting very tempted to look at the Thames. Whats the general marina costs and do you know any good websites for any of the marinas.

Cheers /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
Prices are pretty much the same so it's more a question of which marina is convenient for you coupled to which stretch of the river you'd like to be on. MDL marinas have a selling advantage over the others because having a berth at one marina means you can leave your boat at another when travelling. Also Mike Gates reads these forums so is wise to the likes & dislikes of boaters.
Having said the above MDL do not have any marinas upstream of Windsor and there is delightful cruising upstream.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
You'll find most things you want to know about the Thames HERE - Ive linked to the section on moorings but heres a vast range of other info on that site.

In general, marina berths on the non tidal stretch between Teddington and Reading will set you back around £280 a meter per annum for a pontoon berth with water and leccy available (tho there will likely be an additional charge for using leccy.)

You may be able to find non marina berths at a lower cost but these will generally be alongside or stream moorings requiring greater vigilance when the river is running high/fast in winter months.

The Thames is a long river and the tidal stretch below Teddington is a very different environment to the non tidal. Very few marinas except in central/east London.

Sailing boats will likely have to remove the mast to get under the vast majority of the many bridges - the website above gives all these details re heights etc.

TrueBlue

Visit site
"Boating Down the River" is not always up to date on the information side of things. Although their list of moorings implies a large selection, in practice the real choice is much, much smaller.

Some marinas keep some moorings vacant as policy, but the majority are full to bursting - especially if your boat is over 40ft.

SimonA

Visit site
Looks like I might end up being the only one here on the Ouse then?

When I looked at the Thames marinas the prices seemed a lot more than the Gt Ouse. I'm paying £1500 for my 27ft mooring at Buckden marina. On the Thames prices seem to be far in excess of that.

miket

Visit site
Ting Dene Marinas now have both Thames & Kennett Marina (just east of Reading) and Racecourse Marina (Windsor). I believe they offer a similar facility, exchange wise, as MDL but with a greater distance between their marinas.

Nautorius

Visit site
The Thames is more expensive, but the quality of the good marinas is excellent. The MDL marinas (especially Bray) are very good and so is another marina (not MDL) Harleyford...but they are not cheap. Personnaly I think Mike does a much better job than his counterparts on the south coast so I would (and have) paid more for the priviledge.

Cheers

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TrueBlue

Visit site
The Caravan Park People also own Walton and Pyrford marinas. This latter is on the river Wey - but they charge Thames prices.

A sudden thought the National Trust (who own the Wey navigation) often have bankside moorings available and some of these are quite near the Thames for cruising. The Wey is broad beam but very, very shallow - to protect the yellow-spotted-spurtle-weed, you understand.

Zilch facilities but exceedingly good value. Just mind the tree huggers...