Marina at Sheerness?

Suttle

Visit site
There is also a rumour flying around Grain of a marina development at Kingsnorth together with a housing development, don't know if there is any substance in it.

Cantata

Visit site
There is also a rumour flying around Grain of a marina development at Kingsnorth together with a housing development, don't know if there is any substance in it.
Really? I suppose that could be at the top of Damhead Creek?
There does seem to be a shortage of berths in the Medway Towns now that Hoo has become unavailable - both Chatham and Gillingham are pretty full..
Maybe just a bit of kite-flying by developers?

Suttle

Visit site
Really? I suppose that could be at the top of Damhead Creek?
There does seem to be a shortage of berths in the Medway Towns now that Hoo has become unavailable - both Chatham and Gillingham are pretty full..
Maybe just a bit of kite-flying by developers?

You are probably right. I don't think anything will happen anytime soon. There are a lot of vacant swinging and fore & aft mooring available in the upper Medway at the moment but not everyone wants one of these and of course access is not always easy.

Concerto

Visit site
A little while ago there was some talk of developing part of Sheerness docks as a marina. Since then, about a year ago I have heard nothing. Does anyone have an up date, even if its negative ie the idea was abandoned.?

Nigel

The idea sounds possible, but practically I think it would be a non-starter. The basins are quite small and the thought of mixing yachts with commercial ships docking would probably be a big no, no. Let alone dock security, especially with all those new cars being off loaded.

I can remember when my parent's bought their first boat and it was launched at Sheerness in 1965. The docks had just been decommissioned by the navy and the place was empty. Doubt if many other yachts were ever launched there.

Cantata

Visit site
The idea sounds possible, but practically I think it would be a non-starter. The basins are quite small and the thought of mixing yachts with commercial ships docking would probably be a big no, no. Let alone dock security, especially with all those new cars being off loaded.
I can remember when my parent's bought their first boat and it was launched at Sheerness in 1965. The docks had just been decommissioned by the navy and the place was empty. Doubt if many other yachts were ever launched there.
Surely there is only one basin left, the Gunwharf at the N end where the lifeboat station is and the HM's launches are kept. All the rest were filled in years ago.
The 'plan' I saw involved a new marina at the S end, cutting into some of the present car storage area.
Another idea that was mooted a while back was in Queenborough Creek, where there would certainly be room. However there are a few squillion tons of mud in the way for a start.
Marinas don't tend to happen these days unless a housing development is all part of it.

Cantata

Visit site

Eddie.johnson

Visit site
Within the last couple of days a flyer was posted through my door. It is the Peel Ports Sheerness Master Plan. It is inviting stake holders to meetings within the next week to discuss the plan. Part of the plan is to reclaim 125 hectares north of Sheerness. 71 hectares will be for operational port use, but the other 54 hectares will be for mixed development including a marina. From 05/11/14 you can see the Master Plan by visiting http://peelports.com/sheerness-master-plan
There are five options they are examining and the marina option is option 1.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Sounds interesting.....would be a good location for a marina as an alternative to heading all the way up to Chatham, or an overnight on a mooring at Queenborough for those of us heading to London.... might even encourage a bit more North/South interaction for the Thames Estuary community.

Cantata

Visit site
Right now one might have thought things were not looking rosy for Peel Ports Medway. Sheerness Docks and their container port seem very quiet these days with customers presumably gone elsewhere.

Sixpence

Visit site
Right now one might have thought things were not looking rosy for Peel Ports Medway. Sheerness Docks and their container port seem very quiet these days with customers presumably gone elsewhere.

Hasn't container traffic moving further North been going on for a few years and more ?, Ipswich and area seem to be getting busier, or is it just my perception ?

Cantata

Visit site
Hasn't container traffic moving further North been going on for a few years and more ?, Ipswich and area seem to be getting busier, or is it just my perception ?
The new port on the Thames at London Gateway (ex Shell Haven) has probably taken container-ship traffic from the Medway - better access to the motorway network north of the Thames.

xyachtdave

Visit site
Suppose it makes sense to go where the links are best

The A228 on and off of Grain often makes the pages of our local paper for all the wrong reasons - accidents, fatalities, traffic, etc.

I've certainly noticed over the last 5 years the decline in commercial traffic, there would regularly be 3 container ships at Thames Port now 1 or 2. With the closure of Kingsnorth power station the coal ship Lord Hinton has gone too.

Firefly

Visit site
The Gateway may well be taking trade from Thamesport, though its decline started long before, I think, but its Tilbury that is taking trade from Sheerness (especially fresh food imports) in the fight to compensate for its own loss of trade to Gateway. Cuckoo in the nest.