Mandatory CO alarms introduced from 1st April 2019

CLB

Visit site
I have accommodation but no method of cooking or heating on board so I assume that I don't need a detector.

If you have a fuel burning device of any description, be it gas, petrol, charcoal, wood or diesel, and accommodation where the combustion gases could accumulate, it makes sense to have one regardless of whether you need a BSS and regardless of any rules and regulations.

PeteCooper

Visit site
If you have a fuel burning device of any description, be it gas, petrol, charcoal, wood or diesel, and accommodation where the combustion gases could accumulate, it makes sense to have one regardless of whether you need a BSS and regardless of any rules and regulations.
I agree 100% but my only fuel burner is the outboard.

Irish Rover

Visit site
If you berth close to other boats that have fuel burners you could also be at risk. I think mine cost around €20 but you can buy reliable brands even cheaper than that and none of them take up any usable space.

XDC

Visit site
This is a timely post, thanks.

Following a gas check I have just obtained a FireAngel CO alarm and I can comply easily with the horizontal distance advice of 1-3m from source, but the vertical distance of “as high as possible but no closer than 150mm to the ceiling” leaves it in full view.

I have NEVER seen a detector high on a bulkhead and wondered where you guys fitted yours particularly as RupertW says it’s unobtrusive.

Ta.

maxi77

Visit site

The one I have in our motorhome awning [the heating system exhausts into the awning] went off because fumes from a generator outside the awning. I seem to remember a case of some one being killed by CO from the next door boats engine. Seems to me they are just a good idea whether it is nanny state or not. It may be your choice to die but it certainly is not pleasant for those who have to deal with the aftermath.

Irish Rover

Visit site
This is a timely post, thanks.

Following a gas check I have just obtained a FireAngel CO alarm and I can comply easily with the horizontal distance advice of 1-3m from source, but the vertical distance of “as high as possible but no closer than 150mm to the ceiling” leaves it in full view.

I have NEVER seen a detector high on a bulkhead and wondered where you guys fitted yours particularly as RupertW says it’s unobtrusive.
Ta.
I think the general recommendation would be to have them at head height. I have one in each of my double cabins on the bulkhead at what is more or less head height when asleep.

ottow

Visit site
I installed a https://www.3gasplus.com/en/3gas-homepage-en/ last year.
Not particularly interested in the bit about knock-out gases, I picked it because I can have several sensors in various locations.

Also, it would seem a CO alarm actually does a decent job as a smoke/fire detector, at least to what I have read in local press.
So putting a sensor in the engine compartment, behind the breaker panel or maybe with the battery bank might be a good idea.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Also, it would seem a CO alarm actually does a decent job as a smoke/fire detector, at least to what I have read in local press.

This is incorrect. There are devices that will do both, because they contain two sensors, but the co sensor cannot detect smoke.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
It seems plausible that a fire might generate carbon monoxide, though?

(I'm only speculating, I don't know either way)

Pete

I also don't know for sure. But it wouldn't be a good plan to rely on on a Co alarm to wake you up if the boat was on fire.

matthewriches

www.matthewriches.co.uk
I’d say it’d take a fair while for CO to build up from a general fire. I’d much prefer a smoke alarm for fires as it could take a long time to generate sufficient CO to register on a detector from a smouldering smokey fire for example.

You don’t sleep with your toe out the bed in case the bilges start flooding? ;)

I’m also absolutely for it becoming a compulsory thing especially on boats and caravans; as mentioned before, even if you don’t have a device that could generate CO, other people around you could do!

Last edited:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
It seems plausible that a fire might generate carbon monoxide, though?

(I'm only speculating, I don't know either way)

Pete

It is plausible, but most open fires don't generate much CO as there is an ample oxygen supply. It's flames that are cooled or where the oxygen supply is inadequate that generate a lot of CO. However, fires (especially fires burning plastic) generate a lot of much nastier substances such as cyanides. "Death by smoke inhalation" is the common cause of death in fires, and it happens because most domestic fires create a lot of really nasty substances - cyanides are one of the simpler ones. A CO monitor won't detect anything until long after poisonous levels of other substances have built up. A smoke detector will give MUCH earlier warning (my home one goes off regularly when we're frying sausages!)

Quandary

Visit site
I am beginning to think I am the only one who keeps the companion, rear cabin and heads, hatchs open when on-board. Does everybody seal the cabin up when inside?

No, hatch open, perhaps with a canvas rain cover, I often wonder while they go to so much trouble to put doors on the tiny cabins in yachts, never close them, but then it is warm up here in summer.