maintaining varnished mast

robh

Visit site
I am wondering what people think is the best way to maintain the varnish on a wooden mast. I have last year acquired a Vertue, with a well maintained varnished mast and want to keep it that way. I hauled out this Winter, unstepping and storing the mast, as did the previous owner. But to do that each year to check and re-varnish seems a bit over the top as well as expensive.
Is it worth trying to re-varnish in situ ?
Is it worth leaving it every two years ?
Is it worth trying to cover the mast with something during the winter (like a sort of velcroed condom thingy ?)
Is it worth using something very long lasting, e.g. Coelan ? (and if so, would I have to take off all the existing varnish ?)

Any other thoughts ? What do you experienced people do ?

Many thanks, Robert Hedges

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
I have, for some years, left the mast in for two winters, then had the mast out, stripped all the varnish and revarnished from bare wood with at least 10 coats of Epifanes in the third winter. It works, as a method. However I have now decided to winter ashore so the mast will be coming out every winter from now on.

I believe that Coelan works very well, but it should be thinned, with extra coast beyond the recommended 6, for the best results - you certainly need to go back to bare wood for that

<hr width=100% size=1>Que scais-je?

nordic

Visit site
Depends how much wear there is? We completely stripped our ?Spruce mast and boom of all fittings, stripped the old varnish with Nitromors and applied 5 coats of International Goldspar. This has lasted well over two years with a touch up after one year which we will have to do each year if we are to avoid another complete strip down. The varnish has stood up well to UV, but is subject to mechanical wear from halyards, and the jib sheets when tacking. The boat stays in the water over winter and is only hauled out for a couple of weeks in the summer.

I do not fancy the Coelan route as it will have to come off some time and this requires a heat gun!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Plum

Visit site
Results of my mast varnish experiment

I am now in year 5 of a mast varnish experiment that is so far proving to be successfull. This is a gaff rig. When I aquired my boat the mast was in very good condition and when I abraded the varnish there were only a few tiny patches where I went through to bare wood and treated with Blakes Woodseal. I varnished with two coats of Blakes one-pack Polyvarnish and left the mast up for three years. After 3 years the varnish was in excellent condition so I abraded and applied another two coats of Blakes one-pack Polyvarnish. The mast has now been up for 2 years and looks fantastic. Next winter it will get the same treatment again.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jeep

Visit site
Re: Results of my mast varnish experiment

Plum, sounds interesting - was the 'old' varnish polyvarnish or is it irrelevant what you go over?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Plum

Visit site

I have no idea what the "old" varnish was. Guess I was lucky that it was compatable............

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jeep

Visit site

Hope I have the same luck then . .

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site

Do a test piece. If it bubbles after a week, you probably have a problem.

<hr width=100% size=1>Que scais-je?

roly_voya

Visit site
Maintaining the varnish is one point but what about the rest of the gear, the Vertue has a high tension rig presumably in stainless, can you confidently get a cood enough inspection of all the bits with themast up? Ideally I would have an alloy mast done each year for inspection. The advantage is that on a Verture this can be done by a couple of people and a sea wall/bridge or a temp jib set up on a scrubbing post. baically you just need to be in a position above the boat and a bit more than spreader high - the mast should be quite light. Once lifted lower to the deck on ropes and motor to you winter berth

<hr width=100% size=1>

bransoa

Visit site
I need help on this as well. I bought new spars from Noble Masts about 6 years ago, and I am now stripping and ready to re-varnish. The original varnish (done by Nobles) was Blakes single pack. It worked quite well, but the tin glues the lid on really well, and it's practically impossible to patch, as it must be rubbed down, and how can you see where it has been abraded, and where not? Perhaps this is a problem common to all varnishes. I have bought some Coelan to try - got any tips about preparing or applying, folks?
Austin

<hr width=100% size=1>