Main sheet runner

G

I've just bought a 22' cruiser.

I'm pretty new to cruising, and am a bit confused about the system it has for setting the position of the lower block for the main sail tackle.

Tere are two attachment points, one to port and one to starboard in line with the rear of the cockpit, in front of the aft locker, each with a shackle then a carabiner.

To the carabiners a rope is tied with a bowline on each end, and a bight formed in the middle of the rope by a double overhand knot. To this central bight, a carabiner attaches the lower block of the main sheet tackle.

There is no obvious method of setting the tackle to anywhere other than in the center.

There is another of the same style attachment points amidships behind the aft locker, facing forewards. This one is painted over, and appears not to have been used for a while, but to me it would seem likely was originally used as a part of the same system. There is also a fairlead with a clamcleat on the porthand side slightly forward and lower than the side attachment point I mentioned.

I can only surmise that originally some system was rigged whereby lines were lead from the three attachment points across and to the clamcleat by which pulling tighter would shift the attachement location towards the port or starboard, but I cant think of how the system would have worked, because surely, to distribute the pressure evenly ( I assume this to be a requirement) the length of the rearward line should be the same as that of the line towards whichever side the boom is set.

Can anyone explain how the system is supposed to have worked?

BTW, the boat is a Tyler Cinder 22 (1966)

Thanks for any help I may or may not get.

D.Maniac

Avocet

Visit site
Hi,

I have a very similar system in my cockpit. The rope is replaced by two short wire strops but the lower tackle still sits in the middle and can't be moved to either side. I used to have a mainsheet horse across the centre of the cockpit but being more cruising than performance oriented, I sacrificed the ability to move the mainsheet lead in favour of being able to lie full-length on the cockpit seats on summer evenings. It's also easy to remove altogether and give more cockpit space for toddlers when berthed. The explanation on your boat could be similar! - just a thought...