Mad Max crunch - photos

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
You may remember my post about the 53 foot Sunseeker that hit us on the Trafalgar 200 Day (28 June) who then b*gg*r*d off without stopping or responding to VHF. Well here are a few 'before', 'during' and 'after' pics.

If you can identify Mad Max please let me know. We've tracked down the registration details but they don't help and as after 2 weeks they evidently made no effort to find us I would say this has gone beyond an insurance claim and is now into criminal damage and reckless endangerment.

Approaching

w_before.jpg

Crash - hm, 12 meters of anchor chain in 12 meters of water is NOT a good idea...

the-crunch.jpg

After - OK - you just sod off then...
after.jpg

do you know this boat and where she's berthed ? Please help us catch these scum...

woody001

Visit site
Might be worth posting on motorboat forum - they could tell you what make boat it is etc etc
--
sorry - just seen you have......

jfm

Visit site
As mentioned on mobochat that's a sunseeker manhattan 56 and (ref your other post) the shareholders of a Jersey or Guernsey co, including the typical "exempt" companies, are on the public record

I understand your frustration but it aint criminal damage or reckless endangerment! Hope you get it all sorted out tho, and manage to track down the skipper/owners. Very bad form of them not to have made contact

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
hi JMF

Well I'm no lawyer and don't want to get into a debate - and also, want nothing more than to sort this amicably - but without finding them it's a bit hard.

Anyway, say I was driving my car near your house and I reversed into your car or fence or any other part of your property. I'd then knock on your door, apologise profusely and we'd sort something out. If you were out I'd leave a note.

If on the other hand I simply drove off - then surely, by definition, I'd be guilty of criminal damage?

It's the same point here - only someone could have been seriously hurt or even killed...

capt_courageous

Visit site
Give the Hampshire Police marine unit a call. They have access to a data base showing who is moored where in the Solent area at least. I think it is derived from mooring licence info. Good luck - we do not need people like them.

KevB

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
only someone could have been seriously hurt or even killed...

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I read your posts the more you sound like an ambulance chaser.

As said before, YOU didn't realise there was any damage untill you got back to your berth so how should he? It was an ACCIDENT. Use your insurance, that's what you pay for. They will do the running around looking for him. Or don't you have any?? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

capricorn

Visit site
Have you seen this, found from doing a yahoo search on "Mad Max Sunseeker", reckon this is the culprit:

http://www.boat-finder.com/pdf.php?pdf_id=6894

I don't know the Broker or how current this is but 01202 is a Poole area code. Boat is listed on the broker's site also. I'd be calling marinas in and around Poole, Salterns ?

Spec shows only 75 engine hours in 3 years. Draw your own conclusions !

Why not phone and arrange a viewing ? !!!

graham

Visit site
Someone on MOBO site has posted the berthing details.

Lucky it didnt hit you at full 31knot speed.The owner should be able to pay your repair bill out of the half million he hopes to get for it.

If I were you I would definitely not approach the owner.Pass on all details to your insurance company and the MCA.hope you dont lose too much sailing time.Very fruistrating experience but at least noone was hurt.

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
[ QUOTE ]

The more I read your posts the more you sound like an ambulance chaser.

As said before, YOU didn't realise there was any damage untill you got back to your berth so how should he? It was an ACCIDENT. Use your insurance, that's what you pay for. They will do the running around looking for him. Or don't you have any?? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good grief - what an unbelievable response...

You obviously didn't read my post then.

I never stated we didn't realise there was no damage until we got back - the sound of crunching boats and bending metal kind of made that obvious to both boats.

There was a lot of shouting going on so if he was in any doubt he'd hit us then he'd be blind and deaf - therefore not a very good choice of skipper.

'Ambulance chaser' - oh please, get a grip. Tell me what redress I'm looking for than to get repairs made to friend's boat entrusted to me for the day, from the person whose negligence caused it?

And for the UMPTEENTH time - I know it was an accident - I've never claimed any different. So why did he just drive off, not answer VHF calls nor report it to the coast guard.

Someone could have been hurt - one of their crew would have had her lower leg crushed had one of my crew not shouted at her not to put her leg between 2 boats.

I hope I don't run into you on the water as you evidently condone this type of behaviour from people who make boating dangerous and expensive by pushing up everyone's insurance

Geoffs

Visit site
Had a look at 'Mad Max' this week in Poole. Clearly signs of your coming together, about 10 -15 ft of gunwhale rubbing strip missing. Looks like repairs are in hand.

tcm

Visit site
i'd agree bout just shoving it thru insurance - except that it might affect/lifts your own premiums when no blame at all. AND the excess of some policies might not cover the first hundred quid or more - or do they chase after them for that?

regardless - the taking piccies was good and unequivocal evidence of what happened.

Joe_Cole

Visit site
Roger,

I know exactly how you feel about this.

Last year I, and two other boats, were damaged on the moorings by a motorboat. The owner denied any responsibility, despite the obvious evidence and two very good witnesses. We all made reasonable approaches to him but he refused to even attempt to try to resolve the matter. You used the word "scum" about Mr Mad Max; and I would use the same word to describe this man.........Mr Mead, to give him his real name.

The damage on my boat was less than yours and, with insurance excesses and the prospect of higher premiums (which KevB doesn't seem to be concerned with) it wasn't worth making a claim.

In the end I was able to get his insurance details (not from him, from the mooring operators) and, after some discussion about the evidence, and despite his continued denials, the insurance company agreed to pay up in full. I received the cheque a few weeks ago. I also was not an ambulance chaser!..........what an outrageously stupid accusation that was!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

As an aside one of the other boats was a motorboat. The stern drive was badly damaged (around £3000) and the owner lost the use of his boat for the rest of the season.

If you are able to get insurance details a direct approach to the insurance company may help, if a sensible approach to the culprit does not. In the end though, you may have no option but to make a claim on your own insurance.

On the other matter of some of the replies that have come up on this thread, all I can say is that if Mad Max or Mr Mead are going to continue smashing into other boats I would prefer it if they hit the boats of people who are happy to casually shrug it off, make an insurance claim, pay any excesses and extra premiums and then wait till it happens again. They don't seem to mind if their boats are damaged.

Good luck, and I hope you are able to pin the man down.