Lyme Disease And Ticks

ctva

Visit site

Adios

Visit site
Might be worth pointing people suffering the after affects of a lyme infection to the Perrin Technique. Can't vouch for it myself but this usually highly cynical person does and I wouldn't expect he would be fooled by placebo. There is a book with a lot of self help things to do if no nearby clinician.

Rustyknight

Visit site
I used to volunteer for Natural England on the Somerset Levels, and more recently I walk and camp a fair bit on Dartmoor. Ticks are plentiful, but I always carry small plastic tick removers, which I've had to use a few times.

I often see people advising using alcohol or other liquid antiseptics to try to make the tick release its hold, but this can make the tick regurgitate its stomach contents, thus making it more likely to pass any disease carried onto the host.

Wansworth

Visit site
I used to volunteer for Natural England on the Somerset Levels, and more recently I walk and camp a fair bit on Dartmoor. Ticks are plentiful, but I always carry small plastic tick removers, which I've had to use a few times.

I often see people advising using alcohol or other liquid antiseptics to try to make the tick release its hold, but this can make the tick regurgitate its stomach contents, thus making it more likely to pass any disease carried onto the host.
What are these tick removers

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I wear wellies when walking in woods popular with deer. But got a tick somehow on return from a fortnight sailing around Corfu a few years ago. Discovered it on my person (=scrotum) on showering the morning after return. Thought my GP would remove it, but no. Had to go to A&E and wait for hours, but at least was given a course of antibiotics.

Charlie Boy

Visit site
I wear wellies when walking in woods popular with deer. But got a tick somehow on return from a fortnight sailing around Corfu a few years ago. Discovered it on my person (=scrotum) on showering the morning after return. Thought my GP would remove it, but no. Had to go to A&E and wait for hours, but at least was given a course of antibiotics.
Must’ve been a Kamikaze tick

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
What are these tick removers
My local pharmacy, a national chain (not in an area known for ticks), carries them. They basically hook round the head of the tick and allow it to be pulled out without squeezing the body of the tick. Mechanical means of removing ticks are preferred, as long as they don't squeeze the tick's body. Basically, chemical methods of removing them can make things worse as the tick regurgitates it's stomach contents which can then infect you. As long as the tick sucks, you're less likely to be infected.

Those with dogs in a tick infested area might wish to consult their vet about appropriate anti-tick medication (like anti-flea medication) as there are some serious infections for dogs that are carried by ticks.

Sybarite

Visit site
It's worth knowing that it is not only ticks which can cause Lyme's disease.

Swmbo caught it from a horse fly bite.

nortada

Visit site
Granddaughter got it but quickly identified and treated so hopefully no long term effects.

This was about 5 years ago and to date, no noticeable after effects.??

Keith 66

Visit site
It's worth knowing that it is not only ticks which can cause Lyme's disease.
Swmbo caught it from a horse fly bite.

I will remember that, the poxy things love me for some reason!

As for ticks, my parents lived in north Lancashire near Silverdale & the whole area was tick country, lots of woodland lots of deer & if you took the dog out for a walk even up the garden you could see the horrible things dropping off the bushes onto him. The area was absolutely infested.

Neeves

Visit site
Someone will explain:

Why is it that it is possible to provide domestic pets with devices or medication that will deter ticks - why is it so difficult to design something similar for humans?

As far as I can ascertain the investment in researrch has come up with

wear yellow

wear Wellington boots

its the 21st Century!! ??

Jonathan

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Someone will explain:

Why is it that it is possible to provide domestic pets with devices or medication that will deter ticks - why is it so difficult to design something similar for humans?

As far as I can ascertain the investment in researrch has come up with

wear yellow

wear Wellington boots

its the 21st Century!! ??

Jonathan
Good question! But I guess it's like fleas. We prevent fleas from getting established by washing clothes and bedding; the result is that human fleas are becoming an endangered species in western countries; if you do encounter a flea, chances are that it's a cat or dog flea that can't actually make a living from you.

Ticks are generally easily prevented by wearing appropriate clothing; socks and trousers are very effective counter-measures, and in tick country you're advised not to wear shorts or sandals. Further, humans have dexterous hands so we can remove any that do grab on pretty easily. Dogs don't have either, and a tick could easily attach where it isn't apparent, and where a dog can't dislodge it.

The other thing is that dogs are short-lived compared to us, and medication that does no harm over the 15-20 years a dog lives might have bad side-effects over the 80 odd years we can hope for. Certainly my dog is sleepy for a day or so after taking his flea medication; it's on the list of side effects. As flea and tick medication needs monthly doses, that might be something to avoid.

dutyhog

Visit site
Here's a photo of two of our tick removers. One's in credit card form, with two sizes of removers and a magnifier, and the others come in two sizes as well (this pair was bought from a vet's, but most pharmacies here have them). Ther's also a photo of a tick that had taken all the blood it wanted from a cat, then dropped off onto concrete.

GDXT6292&DSCF3400.jpg

wully1

Visit site
I’ve been using this stuff recently and had no ticks since starting spraying it from the waist down. Fingers crossed it keeps them away.

Tick Magic - Midge Solutions

1 tick removed from behind my knee after a full day tramping about woodland with trousers tucked into boots and Tick Magic applied..... Noticed just after lunchtime that the tick bitten legs trouser had come out of my boots.
Going back to wearing gaiters from now on.