Looking for new residential mooring

uma

Visit site
Dear all
I live on a tugboat conversion moored on a residential mooring in poplar dock, london. I was hoping to leave london like lot of people post corona ....
Her dimension are 23m overall length, 6.24m beam and 2.9 m draft.
The draft has been the reason lot of marinas have rejected her a berth....
I have the option to continue where i am but i was hoping posing this question to a wider community might be helpful.
I am looking for safe mooring close to transport links as i dont drive...
Ramsgate, gravesend, hoo marina have said no...
I have attached the link of the boat when prepped for sale. High mooring rents in london have been a reason for interested buyers to back out...but she has been on sale just 5 mths...part of it in corona.
Please advise...

V1701

Visit site
I'm surprised Hoo said no, would have thought you'd be perfect for them. I went there recently and there's another little place just up the way with some moorings, when I asked there the woman told me my boat was too small to live on & no I couldn't have a mooring. You might fare better. A bit further on from the little cafe go left and walk 200 metres or so along a path to get there. Looking at Google maps it might be Whitton Marine or Stagate Marine, might be worth a look & hope you find somewhere...

Nice boat and choice of music!

PlanB

Visit site
There are also some residential moorings near Medway Bridge Marina, diagonally opposite Hoo.

uma

Visit site
I'm surprised Hoo said no, would have thought you'd be perfect for them. I went there recently and there's another little place just up the way with some moorings, when I asked there the woman told me my boat was too small to live on & no I couldn't have a mooring. You might fare better. A bit further on from the little cafe go left and walk 200 metres or so along a path to get there. Looking at Google maps it might be Whitton Marine or Stagate Marine, might be worth a look & hope you find somewhere...

Nice boat and choice of music!
Thank you for compliment. Will have a look at both places.

uma

Visit site
There are also some residential moorings near Medway Bridge Marina, diagonally opposite Hoo.
Thank you. Making a list ad calling them and yes. ...will visit
Please kerp them coming...
Hoo said ok inittially and came back and not the look they are going for....

V1701

Visit site
Thank you. Making a list ad calling them and yes. ...will visit
Please kerp them coming...
Hoo said ok inittially and came back and not the look they are going for....

"Not the look we're going for" - unbelievable, presumably they're desirous of gentrifying in some way. It's hardly the most salubrious place FFS...

uma

Visit site
"Not the look we're going for" - unbelievable, presumably they're desirous of gentrifying in some way. It's hardly the most salubrious place FFS...
Sadly thats the case in most marinas. I prepped and painted her entire superstructure in lockdown. Also recaulked her deck with oakum and pitch and painted it with traditional " boat soup". . Its their loss. She can change look of entire marina by being there. She is a swedish icebreaker with atlas polar engine and rolls royce variable pitch propeller and gardeners generator.
Lets hope i can sell her in current mooring.
Thanks again
Uma

Lucy52

Visit site
Boats have been selling sight unseen with no survey. Residential moorings in London are at a premium and command high rents, this is to be expected. What is holding a sale back? Low-cost accommodation, or a small flat close to the city, should be quite attractive.

uma

Visit site
Boats have been selling sight unseen with no survey. Residential moorings in London are at a premium and command high rents, this is to be expected. What is holding a sale back? Low-cost accommodation, or a small flat close to the city, should be quite attractive.
Its canal boats that are selling. And few dutch barges. As a tugboat conversion, though she offers better living space, people look at engine and think lot of work.
Other factor is they can take barge on holiday....even though they never do they can think of it as a possibility. Lastly mooring rent is very expensive in poplar marina.
They are not fazed by price as i have priced it less than a dutch barge that size.
To be fair she has been on market only for 4 mths that too during covid. I have given myself couple of years as she is unique. Lets see. Enquiries are on. Mooring rent def a big factor

uma

Visit site
WWe
Don't take this the wrong way...

She looks a lovely vessel but I wonder if the choice of paint colors might be the issue for some places as not overly conservative?

No, i dont think so as people who are interested are aware i have prepped and painted 2 coats of epoxy primer and 2 coats of topcoat.
If they want colour change they just need to add a layer of topcoat.
Most people have liked the colours. Inside its magnolia and white, solid oak flooring with pine ceiling.
No colour is permanent. They need to be ok with shape, layout, survey.
Also aquavista are blocking blocking people from renting spare room to help with mooring rent....which bwml allowed.
I paid 16.4k plus individual band A CT for 2022 at zero vat. And its rising....
Most people backout citing mooring rent
If she doesnt sell within the time i have set for myself, i am happy to keep her and cancel other plan.
Ll

jdc

Visit site
Frankly the colour scheme is so un-nautical that on first glance I supposed she's not actually a boat but a wreck with temporary superstructure made from a garden shed. At Pin Mill you can see myriad examples of boats like this which will never float again, and this may have informed my prejudice.

I now realise that she's much loved and well cared for and rather lovely, but what were you thinking? Not really surprising that no one wants her in their marina or dockyard. Dislike me and the message by all means, but recognise that I won't be alone in thinking like this, so it might just have some bearing on your issue.

KevinV

Visit site
Frankly the colour scheme is so un-nautical that on first glance I supposed she's not actually a boat but a wreck with temporary superstructure made from a garden shed. At Pin Mill you can see myriad examples of boats like this which will never float again, and this may have informed my prejudice.

I now realise that she's much loved and well cared for and rather lovely, but what were you thinking? Not really surprising that no one wants her in their marina or dockyard. Dislike me and the message by all means, but recognise that I won't be alone in thinking like this, so it might just have some bearing on your issue.
A rather harsh way of saying what @PilotWolf said more gently.
I think it's rather fun, but then I don't have to look at it every day, and that wasn't the question anyway.

jdc

Visit site
A rather harsh way of saying what @PilotWolf said more gently.
I think it's rather fun, but then I don't have to look at it every day, and that wasn't the question anyway.

I quite agree, but the OP's response to PilotWolf's sensitive post was

which I found a bit cryptic, possibly implying that the point hadn't been understood, so I was being rather less subtle. But hey-ho, it's not really my business nor skin off my nose.

PilotWolf

Visit site

I found it a bit cryptic, and possibly implying that the point hadn't been understood, so I was being rather less subtle. But hey-ho, it's not really my business nor skin off my nose.

I took the reply to be having the same problems I often have replying to posts where the comment jumps all over the place as you type - especially on the phone/ipad.

W.

uma

Visit site
Dear all, many thanks for ur comments. Most marinas even Hoo have issue with draft. She has 3m draft with a keel so it is a problem. Hoo also has a 2.5m draft restriction.
I take ur point reg colours but so far i have received mainly compliments mainly because londoners who want to live on boats are not traditionalists but alternatives.
Again i have noticed that when people dont have answer to a question asked they decide to throw their personal opinions in.
I never asked why she wasnt selling....
I asked if u know a mooring she could go to.
I am ok if u dont know the answer....
But u dont have to answer anything to pass time....
I am expecting people to see her and buy after survey and not at first glance.
People are looking for boats as cheap way of living in london and this marina and big boat is not cheap way....
Also i am getting more enquiries as restrictions are being lifted and summer on the way in.
Not desperate to sell but just a new plan i am toying with...
Time will tell...
Please answer if u understand the question and have a relevant useful answer. Ta

uma

Visit site

which I found a bit cryptic, possibly implying that the point hadn't been understood, so I was being rather less subtle. But hey-ho, it's not really my business nor skin off my nose.
Not cryptic reply....but had to leave urgent before i could type...and it got sent by mistake...didnt realise i sent it.

PilotWolf

Visit site
Dear all, many thanks for ur comments. Most marinas even Hoo have issue with draft. She has 3m draft with a keel so it is a problem. Hoo also has a 2.5m draft restriction.
I take ur point reg colours but so far i have received mainly compliments mainly because londoners who want to live on boats are not traditionalists but alternatives.
Again i have noticed that when people dont have answer to a question asked they decide to throw their personal opinions in.
I never asked why she wasnt selling....
I asked if u know a mooring she could go to.
I am ok if u dont know the answer....
But u dont have to answer anything to pass time....
I am expecting people to see her and buy after survey and not at first glance.
People are looking for boats as cheap way of living in london and this marina and big boat is not cheap way....
Also i am getting more enquiries as restrictions are being lifted and summer on the way in.
Not desperate to sell but just a new plan i am toying with...
Time will tell...
Please answer if u understand the question and have a relevant useful answer. Ta

Sorry if offended you.

If I was in the UK and in a position to buy she'd certainly be one I'd look at. But not everywhere is London or it's residents or as 'modern'.

You were given answers as to why you were struggling to find a mooring, size apart. An ex and I looked at a fleet tender - absolutely a beautiful ship and home but nowhere would take us - she ended up in the Med I believe.

I wish you luck.

PW

uma

Visit site
Sorry if offended you.

If I was in the UK and in a position to buy she'd certainly be one I'd look at. But not everywhere is London or it's residents or as 'modern'.

You were given answers as to why you were struggling to find a mooring, size apart. An ex and I looked at a fleet tender - absolutely a beautiful ship and home but nowhere would take us - she ended up in the Med I believe.

I wish you luck.

PW
Not offended. But lets say i was looking for useful answers. Only Hoo said anything about type of boat ..they said they have mainly sail boats and barges. I looked up and found that 2.5m they sit in mud.
Other marinas also seriously had draft issue.i have checked through dock people i know.
But i dont think she is not selling....as its only 4 mths and i waited for summer and restrictions to end to pay for premium listing. Usual period for big boats to sell is 3 years in london.
I didnot ask how to sell...
I have personal reasons for wanting to leave london so asked for help reg mooring just so i can still keep her.
I would like to thank the few who gave genuine answers instead of digressing.
Since i dont know the waterways and just lived in london i asked for advice about moorings and locations from experienced people.
Conversation has been a bit like u go to doctor for expert advice on brain surgery and he wants to talk about ur haemorroids and why u are in pain.
It can be frustrating.
I am only saying this so people can learn to helpful to the question posed with great hope thinking all of u out there are more knowlegeable than me for that specific question.
I am hoping this feedback helps u all in the way you interact with people who are seeking help and advice thinking better of u.
Regards.
Ps. I am still hopeful we can get back to question in hand and if someone thinks of a marina for its dimensions ...then i can deal with what marina has to say.