London Boat Show 2002

G

We are currently recruiting staff to assist with the promotion of ybw.com, and the sale of the magazine subscriptions at the London Boat Show from January 3rd to 13th.

We have some vacancies for "enthusiastic, hard working people who would enjoy working a long day on their feet, ensuring our users and readers are treated really well"

The work pays £55 per day (9.30am to 7.30pm) and is ideal for people keen to earn some cash after the Christmas binge. Please email Fiona Scully on fiona_scully@ipcmedia.com with a copy of your CV.

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Sarah, I suspect that most of us are hard working bods who only ever take the occassional glance at these forums. I am sure however that we could all find the time to help you in the recruitment process, if you post the CV's and photos on the the site we could help you decide who is most appropriate to help you at the show.

Any suggestions anyone for the criteria which are most important for this job?

zefender

Visit site
Anyone who is prepared to work a ten hour shift for £5.50 an hour, smiling all the time, thrusting carrier bags at miserable old buggers all day long deserves an OBE, let alone employment.

G

Be serious

10 hour day for 55 quid is beyond a joke. And then someone reckons it is reasonable for this forum to vet their cv.

G

Boat show miseries

fair enough. Pity the people at London werent joking. Mind you is it me or are all the exhibitors fairly miserable, especially if you have kids with you. The look of horror on the face of the bloke from Hunters when I took my (clean) daughter aboard at Southamton put me off Hunters for life. And it wasnt just them.

G

Re: Boat show miseries

Perhaps you ought to know that the boats Hunters were exhibiting belonged to customers and you were welcomed by its owner! Certainly, my daughter was welcomed readily enough, by all the gentlemen and the lady on the Ranger 245.

david_e

The last resort

On a serious note, I am not defending poor Salesmanship or Exhibition skills, but the people who do this regularly have to speak to/entertain hundreds of "suspect buyers" and most likely only one or two real prospects so it will wear away at them from time to time no matter how much they get paid. A simple question or two should help them establish one from from the other. To help them it is often worth asking if it is OK to have a look. Having said all that it goes with the territory so it is up to the manager/proprietor to ensure they are bright and perky to avoid negative reactions.

Whether £55 is a decent amount or not is relative to the individual and IPC. If they get no takers then it speaks for itself, whilst we all may have opinions it is not really for us to pass judgment. Could be though that this is not the best arena to advertise or it could be that all else has failed and we enthusiasts (I think that is what you call forum devotees!) are seen as the last resort!

G

well I am very pleased for you and your daughter. The fact still remains, and I believe it is a fact, that the chap on the Hunter stand was not welcoming. If an owner does not want hundreds of people tramping all over his boat, and why on earth would he, then perhaps he ought not to exhibit it.

iangrant

Visit site
Re: Be serious

Now, when you think about it - you get in for free (maybe) then get found out that you are a miserable old git, get sacked, but you got in for free.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Re: The last resort

I for one don't think it's a last resort. How many of us have teenage offspring that are at college or uni ? I'll mention it to my daughter who might fancy fluttering her lashes at curmudgeonly old gits for 55 quid a day. The money would come in very handy.

zefender

Visit site

I agree that reluctant owners 'vetting' visitors is appalling. If I pay £10 or whatever to get into a show I expect to be able to get onto or into every exhibit. I had a similar experience with a Legend owner/exhibitor once -I just reminded her that I was at an exhibition and walked past. After making a few loud comments to myself about poor taste of decs etc, I left, with a slightly self-satisfaied smile.

claymore

Visit site
Re: The last resort

What an excellent parent you are proving - would you be letting her keep it all or perhaps you might consider creaming a sliver - sort of taxed at source basis? I run a number of such exercises - apparently the offspring call it Fathers Added Tax - at least, I think that's what the F stands for.

G

Does'nt this prove that the very last place to buy a new boat is at a Boat Show? I mean, trying to think of meaningfull questions to ask the poor harrased sales person, who is otherwise occupied with watching out for "potential buyers", who bored offspring are busy poking, prodding and eyeing up the aft berths as some potential future love nest? Maybe Boat Show boats should all be by appointment only and exhibiters should employ knowledgeable, enthusiastic persons to properly SHOW boats.

cynthia

Visit site

An ex-boatshow salesman once told me how they decided who was worth spending their valuable time with. They check the men's shoes, the woman's handbag and jewellery. This probably explains why we never got offered the free glass of wine when we were aboard - even the year when we went with the express purpose of ordering! Is it surprising that we bought from abroad?

Snobbery rules, O.K?

david_e

After all these comments and views I see that a certain chandler is advertising for staff on this site at a flat rate of £500 for the show. Now 3-13 Jan is 11 days which is..........well less than £55 per day!!!! So maybe IPC aren't the big bad boys after all! Over & out!