Log transducer

EdEssery

Visit site
The paddle wheel log transducer on my Stowe Navigator 1 log has packed up - does anybody know where I might get hold of a replacement. I don't want to have to invest in a whole new log and the cost of lifting the boat to fit it at the moment.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

ccscott49

Visit site
I think you can get a solid state transducer, to convert yours, no paddle wheels, no probs! yours might be too old, mine was. but I agree with Byron, maybe its time to modernise.

Footpad

Visit site
Re: Depends What You Want

At the risk of starting up old and tired discussions a GPS speed read out gives you different information to a log and is (IMHO) of less use to a navigator, having both however arms you with very useful information.

EdEssery

Visit site
This forum is *fantastic*. Less than half an hour after posting a request I have the information I need.

Spoke to AWMarine today (023 9250 1207) - they have the transducers in stock. The down side is the cost: £95+VAT. Alan was very helpful in helping me explore the options of getting a new transducer for the Stowe or fitting a new log entirely - something I was planning to do at the end of next season anyway.

I'm now trying to decide whether I bite the bullet and upgrade now and incur the cost of lifting the boat now (a week after she has gone in) to fit the different sized transducer or spend the c£110 on a Stowe replacement in the knowledge it'll be written off at the end of next season.

Thanks all.

Ed

PS I agree with the post saying you need a GPS *and* a log - they provide very different data.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Ed,
If you are considering replacing your instruments, may I suggest the Navman range sold by Plastimo. It is New Zealand made, and the best investment I made last winter. A bit dearer than the NASA range, but a sight less than anything else on the market.

I fitted a set of Wind, Speed, and Depth instruments. All are NMEA output, with the Speed giving information to the Wind unit to show either Apparent or True wind speed. Mine (NMEA) all lead back to the GPS where I can access the info from the chart table - even depth. Again, the GPS, is then fed to the Autohelm. Integrated. In this way, the Autohelm can either steer by its' own fluxgate compass, the GPS, or, from the GPS - wind direction.

It all works. I've used it.

This winter I am fitting a GPS repeater at the cockpit display array.

regards,
Philip

G

Try the wanted section of boats in your local free-ad paper - if you are UK ...... there may be someone who has a dead display and just may let you have the transducer ....... seems a lot to pay for a paddle wheel that has a small magnet in one blade and a sensor in the body !!!!!
Most paddle wheels will work on other displays .... despite what the 'experts' say ...... it is only a pulse counter and as long as it has same design - it should work. You can tell if its got same number of magnets etc. ..... look at the paddle blades and one will have a 'bump' at the edge ... this is the small magnet pellet embedded in the plastic.

Otherwise ask around local boats / clubs with a notice on their boards ..... anyone got a paddle wheel transducer ???????

Finally ..... it has happened before that the magnet pellet has 'broken' out of the blade .... has that happened ? If so glue a magnet bead back in !!!!! Sounds silly - but think about it !!!!

onenyala

Visit site
Try Regis Greenham tel 01590 671144
I bought an unused Stowe Micro transducer paddle wheel for £68 inc vat. It may have been the last one but worth a try.
The AW marine one is extortionate at £110
Stuart Jones