Log not working and full of little Shrimps and Crud!

aadams1x

Visit site
Our boat is moored on the Hamble and we are finding that if we don't use the boat for 2 weeks the log has stopped working and needs to be removed cleaned (full of shrimps and other bits!

We had antifouled it with Cruiser Uno 2 but wondering if there is a different approach... considering leaving it out at the moment (dont worry with blank in place!) and only putting in for journeys but then we have that scary removing the log moment on every trip!

jwilson

Visit site
Moored in Falmouth a week unused will foul up my impeller.... Take it out when not using the boat.

Alan ashore

Visit site
I would always expect to take the log out between outings in the Hamble - even if it's just a couple of days. If putting it in and taking it out become routine parts of every trip, they quickly stop being scary, and with practice it's remarkable how little water need come in.

Leighb

Visit site
We always remove it when the boat is not in use.
Only takes a couple of minutes. With practice only a few teaspoonfuls of water come in. The log is then always clean, no need for anti fouling.

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
So far I have always removed my tri-ducer after a trip. Unfortunately, on longer passages there is already the beginning of a colony of tubeworm. Removing this with an old toothbrush is simple enough but I would like to avoid it. This summer I shall be trying out a water-based antifouling concoction that I have prepared and will see what difference it will make. One difference that will surely be there is between what the 'professional' product sells for and what my DIY stuff will cost me!

jac

Visit site
We are also on the Hamble and remove when the boat is not in use. That said something jammed it 3/4 of the way through the RTI so even when moving jams can happen.

Rarely get a sponge full in. Just make sure you have the blank / transducer ready and lined up and takes seconds. I spend longer putting the sole back than putting the impeller in.