Lodestar NSA260 Inflatable

JFowler

Visit site
We need a new dinghy and are seriously considering a Lodestar NSA260. I don't want to buy without seeing one and the importer (only uk source) is in Kidderminster. We can't go to SIBS as we'll be away sailing.
Is there anyone in the Solent area, who has one and will let me look at it? I know it's a bit cheeky but it will save a long drive.

Any feedback from owners also appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Ammonite

Visit site
I have one of the 220 models and it's a great tender - can't fault it - apart from the price (ours came with our boat). Really stable, light, and motors / rows really well. Oh - one more thing - make sure you buy an electric inflator. The tubes are quite large and the standard pump gives you backache!

richardbrennan

Visit site
I think that's the model I have and I am based in Gosport Marina but do not know when I might be able to show it to you. As you probably know, it won the YM review a year or to ago and it's probably worth you getting a back copy of that. I can confirm it's an excellent product, it rows well and will almost plane with just my son in it and a 3.5 HP engine. It also has other excellent features such as the anti spray bumper.

sailorman

Visit site
We need a new dinghy and are seriously considering a Lodestar NSA260. I don't want to buy without seeing one and the importer (only uk source) is in Kidderminster. We can't go to SIBS as we'll be away sailing.
Is there anyone in the Solent area, who has one and will let me look at it? I know it's a bit cheeky but it will save a long drive.

Thanks,

John

we had a small lodestar for possibly 15 yrs it was superb, well made.
i only sold it as it had too many bits to assemble ( inflatable floor & keel), i bought a very nice Zodiac
rollaway jobbie

Alyssa

Visit site
Currently in Croatia so you cannot see it....but we have had a Lodestar NSA260 since 2005. At that time it came out as "best of the rest" (after Avon) in the comparison tests in Sailing Today and YM.

It spends a lot of time in the Med being either towed or on the foredeck.

We have a Mariner 3.3 HP 2 stroke O/B which is perfectly adequate to power it. It also rows well.

Rather heavy and, when folded, it occupies a fair volume.

Strongly recommended.

Dave

Trundlebug

Visit site
From my research into inflatable tenders I would generally agree with the above comments - the Lodestar is good but very expensive.

A very similar alternative at lower cost is the Excel 260. A friend bought one a few years ago and it's been superb. The only difference in spec from the Lodestar as far as I know is absence of the spray rail with coloured reflective tape. For a saving of well over £100 I seem to remember (maybe more like £200, I haven't checked) it seemed an easy decision to me.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net

Thanks,

John

I've also got one of these dinghy's. Excellent, and planes with just me in it with the Johnson 4 Twin.

Mine has inflatable keel and floor, and is very dry, even in a bit of a chop.

I did a part exchange with my old Bombard AX3 dinghy, and the Lodestar is far better, and with bigger tanks.