Lockdown boat use

Frederick911

Visit site
Sorry to bring up the covid word and lockdown, there appears to be conflicting information regarding boating.

I can abide by the requirements on travel and social distancing. With that sorted, are we allowed to use our boats and go out to sea ?Portsmouth harbour out into Solent.

ICTM

Visit site
Lymington Harbour Notice to Mariners

LOCAL NOTICE TO MARINERS No. 2 of 2021
COVID 19: NATIONAL LOCKDOWN – HARBOUR USE (LEISURE VESSELS)

On Monday 4th January, the Prime Minister announced a new national lockdown to counter the steep rise in coronavirus (Covid-19) infections in England.

Through the British Ports Association, we have now heard that Government have confirmed that “boating is allowed as exercise [in England]. This covers all sailing boats/yachts as long as persons abide by the gathering limits, social distance rules and stay local rules”.

The use of kayaks, canoes and paddleboards etc, is also deemed as exercise.

More information about what is and isn't allowed is available on the government’s website. Further information is available on the RYA website and Sport England website.

Rappey

Visit site
what's he say anything interesting???
Qhm Portsmouth are saying similar to what lymington are saying, and also suggest consulting the rya for further information..
Last march qhm made it quite clear you could not use your boat.. currently you can.
There are hardly any leisure boats out and about in portsmouth harbour..

steveeasy

Visit site
Seriously. I know we like our sailing but why on earth would it still be permitted. Are the marinas still open, some are, some not, its a bloody mess and quite frankly a disgrace. How many people died on Wednesday ? Just surprised that life has not stopped for some, while others have had the businesses ruined and lives destroyed.

Steveeasy

Northern Star

Visit site
Haven't been out on the upper Thames since October and with the river on red boards again looks like that is it till end of lockdown.

Oh well at least I can still stay on my boat in the marina whilst having to work away from home.

Rappey

Visit site
I know we like our sailing but why on earth would it still be permitted
Why not? The risk is getting to and from the boat but I live on the edge of the harbour so can go out to my boat without seeing anyone or having to touch anything other than my own dingy..
I run a far higher risk every time i have to go to the shops.

ashtead

Visit site
Personally I think there’s a difference between visiting your boat to check lines or say the dehumidifier etc and staying on board . Don’t forget your insurance requirements regarding checking your lines btw -I doubt any marina would take responsibility if your line broke and caused damage to yours or another vessel.

steveeasy

Visit site
Why not? The risk is getting to and from the boat but I live on the edge of the harbour so can go out to my boat without seeing anyone or having to touch anything other than my own dingy..
Why not ?. One rule for one, and one for another, that's why. Food is essential and yes you are probably at a much greater risk of catching it going to the shop, But its not just about you is it ?. The trouble is we just don't get it, do we. I understand in your situation it may be completely safe and little chance you will ever be in contact with someone else, but you are very much a minority. I also am now quite annoyed that while my business is closed and has been quite a bit lately, quite a few marinas are carrying on like normal oblivious to what is going on.

Steveeasy

Frederick911

Visit site
This is what I mean, it is a bit of a mess with regards to the rules about boating mainly due to what people think... should or should not be allowed. I know I can visit my marina Haslar which is still open whilst keeping local. I can go out on my boat which is considered exercise even on a powerboat.

luke collins

Visit site
I think we need to also consider what happens if you go out and get into trouble and need assistance/medical support. One reason the lockdown is In place is to reduce the load on the emergency services as if we are all tucked up safe hopefully it reduces residual risks. I wish I could go out on my boat but feel we all need to support this lockdown so we can get back to normal life.

Momac

Visit site
Don't do it .
Stay at home.
Take a walk from home for exercise .
Go and check your boat but don't take it out .
Maybe in a few weeks things will be different

This is what I mean, it is a bit of a mess with regards to the rules about boating mainly due to what people think... should or should not be allowed. I know I can visit my marina Haslar which is still open whilst keeping local. I can go out on my boat which is considered exercise even on a powerboat.
As above.

Rappey

Visit site
Take a walk from home for exercise .
No because I will then be closer to other people.
Life is not fair. Some may live in a city in a flat while others might have the beach outside their front door or a boat at the end of their garden.
I would think you would encounter far less people going to a marina than doing the weekly shop ?
Common sense prevails.