Lochboisdale marina alternative - anchorages?

jlavery

Visit site
We're planning to head over to the Outer Hebrides in the middle of this week. Looking at the forecast for Saturday/Sunday, it's looking strong from the SSW/SW, so planning to head in to Lochboisdale.

I'm slightly fretting that lots of others will be doing the same, so the marina will be full. Are there decent anchoring spots in the loch? My research online indicates local moorings may be taking up anchorage space these days. My cruising guide is on the boat and I'm currently back 'down south'. I'm also assuming the marina doesn't take bookings - but I plan to call them to find out.

jamie N

Visit site
I've sailed past the Loch a few times, but not anchored there, As a parallel enquiry, the entrance up to Upper Loch Eynort really looks terribly tiny, or am I over thinking it? I do see that it's in the region of 30 metres, but don't know whether my cajones are steely enough?

dunedin

Visit site
I think they sometimes do accept bookings there - certainly have in the past. But it may depend on size, as don’t think they have a lot of berths for over 12m boats.
Regarding anchorages, Antares as ever is your friend. I have spent a couple of nights in the anchorage between Eilean Iasgaich and the marina - that Bob has kindly since surveyed. He has also done a couple of others in the area.
Also there is a lot of Loch B with suitable depths for anchoring in the bay closer to the Hotel - but would be worth using a tripping line as may be remnants of the old visitor moorings still there.
Eriskay or Barra are other options nearby.

Last edited:

NorthUp

Visit site
Lochmaddy pontoons are closed to visitors as a result of serious damage from a dredger last year- the liability arguements are still ongoing..
Plenty anchorages in the loch, or pontoons at Loch boisdale or Tarbert / Scalpay, Harris