Liveaboard Sail Boat for £10k?

steveej

Visit site
I lived aboard my Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 32 over the 2020/2021 winter whilst going through my divorce - I was in my late thirties at the time.

This boat had all the mod cons including a shower cubicle. Truth is, living on a boat gets tiring after a while and is not as glamerous as many think. Most of the issues relate to the weather. When the weather is bad, it's noisy, wobbly and it kind of grinds you down after a while. Very difficult to do your laundry. I ended up fitting rubber snubbers on all my lines to help get the noise levels down. When the weather is crap outside you can start to get cabin fever.

I was spending £300 a month on gas, electric and diesel for the webasto heater. The water in the Marina actually froze one morning. The staff turned off the water supply to the pontoons for fear of the pipes freezing and so there was me in the dark and the rain trying to pour gallon bottles of supermarket mineral water into my deck filler, with most of it blowing down the side deck in the roaring gale. I gave up after about 10 minutes.

Fibreglass boats cool down very quickly as soon as you turn the heating off.

You also have to do your food shopping much more regularly as you don't have room to do a big weekly shop.

The point I'm making is that this is not an easy option.

Would I do it again? After that winter I vowed not to spend the following winter on it.

Saying that, I know a few liverboards that have been fulltime for many years, mostly older guys on some very old boats completely unsuitable for living aboard in my view. I get the feeling though that they don't really have any alternatives for various reasons and so have to make do with what they've got.

The boat was in great condition though as being on it all the time meant I could keep on top of all the maintenance so the boat was like new.

It was also a total chick magnet which helped at the time!

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com
I lived aboard my Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 32 over the 2020/2021 winter whilst going through my divorce - I was in my late thirties at the time.

This boat had all the mod cons including a shower cubicle. Truth is, living on a boat gets tiring after a while and is not as glamerous as many think. Most of the issues relate to the weather. When the weather is bad, it's noisy, wobbly and it kind of grinds you down after a while. Very difficult to do your laundry. I ended up fitting rubber snubbers on all my lines to help get the noise levels down. When the weather is crap outside you can start to get cabin fever.

I was spending £300 a month on gas, electric and diesel for the webasto heater. The water in the Marina actually froze one morning. The staff turned off the water supply to the pontoons for fear of the pipes freezing and so there was me in the dark and the rain trying to pour gallon bottles of supermarket mineral water into my deck filler, with most of it blowing down the side deck in the roaring gale. I gave up after about 10 minutes.

You also have to do your food shopping much more regularly as you don't have room to do a big weekly shop.

Would I do it again? After that winter I vowed not to spend the following winter on it.

Saying that, I know a few liverboards that have been fulltime for many years, mostly older guys on some very old boats completely unsuitable for living aboard in my view. I get the feeling though that they don't really have any alternatives for various reasons and so have to make do with what they've got.

The boat was in great condition though as being on it all the time meant I could keep on top of all the maintenance so the boat was like new.

I can concur with all of that - I am currently living in mine for the same reasons while I work out what to do. Mine is a 50ft fly but I really wouldn’t want it to be any smaller tbh.

Mino

Have nicked the Tardis, so could be anywhere
Visit site

Check on the Bristol Channel forum, sounds like various big problems at Watchet, silting and the operator in financial difficulties
Thanks for the heads up.