Liveaboard Sail Boat for £10k?

Tranona

Visit site
My comment was that as a liveaboard boat in a marina, dropping the mast will make things a lot quieter, it will be more comfortable, if the boat has dodgy rigging it can be put off til the OP has had a chance to save up etc - in context its a very sensible idea if he wants to buy a boat as a house boat for now and thus can ignore things like rig in favour of a dry boat with good space...

Also, will save a fortune in ear plugs if he's not used to the rigging noise in wind when living aboard :D
I know it was, but I still would not drop it. Vast majority of liveaboards I have seen leave their masts up and even their sails on to avoid the hassle of storing them. No reason why he should not be able to get a boat with good accommodation and reasonable rig and sails as the ones suggested show.

Sunny265

Visit site

Might be worth watching Mads getting to grips with living aboard an Albin 30ft. He is off around the world now, but the earlier videos are informative and could give you some ideas.

Mino

Have nicked the Tardis, so could be anywhere
Visit site
My comment was that as a liveaboard boat in a marina, dropping the mast will make things a lot quieter, it will be more comfortable, if the boat has dodgy rigging it can be put off til the OP has had a chance to save up etc - in context its a very sensible idea if he wants to buy a boat as a house boat for now and thus can ignore things like rig in favour of a dry boat with good space...

Also, will save a fortune in ear plugs if he's not used to the rigging noise in wind when living aboard :D
Upon reflection, rigging noise has never really bothered me, even on blustery days.

ridgy

Visit site
There is a JOD 35 going for a song (3 to 5k) on the Boat Scrapyard Facebook group. Actually is in good condition the owner just wants rid. Would be a very spacious liveaboard indeed, huge double bed at the back. Loads of storage in the forepeak. Giant cockpit for entertaining.

clyst

Visit site
@ Tranona Thanks for the advice and wishes. I'll be UK based and am currently looking at liveaboard friendly marinas. Flexible as to location as I work remotely.
Li ving onboard in a marina will prove difficult ult in the UK.

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
There is a waiting list for annual berths at Milford Marina. Berths don’t get transferred to new owners of boats already there; if a boat is sold, the berth is offered to the next person on the list.
It is very popular with liveaboards though, at least 7 boats on our leg of the pontoons, and 3 of the boats immediately adjacent to mine.
The marina being within sight of Tesco and the tiny train station helps the popularity with liveaboards.
Neyland marina is very quiet and pretty, but deserted after 6pm in summer, for weeks on end in winter. It’s more about smashed avocado on toast in the cafe and the right deck shoes than liveaboards. I believe there is also an 11 month afloat policy, with all the boats being moved out 1 month every winter for dredging.

Last edited:

nova_castria

Visit site
I think you will find that Milford Haven marinas allow liveaboards and maybe others in the more "fringy" parts of the country. It is perhaps best to find the marinas that will accept you first as that will give you confidence that you can actually do what you want to do then look for a suitable boat locally. Moving a boat of this type and value any distance is a mugs game - I paid £2500 to move a 10m boat from Milford Haven to Poole. Even sailing for example from the Solent where there is more choice of boats to Wales is hard work, time consuming and costly. You need to spend as much on the boat as you can.

I agree with the advice that Westerlys are high on the list, particularly the Longbow and Konsort as well as Moody 29 and Mirage 28 all of which can be had for under £10k. However there are lots of lesser known designs that might be suitable but with older designs of pure sailing boats you usually need to go over 9m to get decent living accommodation. I have a 31' Golden Hind that makes a very comfortable liveaboard but a decent one is outside your budget, although when I was looking I did consider one of the early ones that was sold for around £7k and had been used for some time as a liveaboard. Unfortunately the owner's "improvements" rather spoiled the boat for any other purpose!
Milford Haven have a list i tried to stay this winter .. they said no

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
That's a cracking little boat that needs buying if it's generally as sound as it looks. . . and probably could be purchased for less!

I agree. There are no 'known problems' with the Stag. A virtually new engine. All liveaboard mod cons. In the right part of the country.
A slight bit of headlining droop/detachment in the forecabin is little reason to shy away. As you say well worth a cheeky offer.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Thanks. Added to my list. Looks like a possible damp problem judging from the headlining in the forpeak but seems very liveaboard freindly. Bilge keel is preferable but can't be too choosey right now!

If bilge keels are a definite requirement but you find a good keel boat why not think about fitting a pair of legs.

Mino

Have nicked the Tardis, so could be anywhere
Visit site
There is a waiting list for annual berths at Milford Marina. Berths don’t get transferred to new owners of boats already there; if a boat is sold, the berth is offered to the next person on the list.
It is very popular with liveaboards though, at least 7 boats on our leg of the pontoons, and 3 of the boats immediately adjacent to mine.
The marina being within sight of Tesco and the tiny train station helps the popularity with liveaboards.
Neyland marina is very quiet and pretty, but deserted after 6pm in summer, for weeks on end in winter. It’s more about smashed avocado on toast in the cafe and the right deck shoes than liveaboards. I believe there is also an 11 month afloat policy, with all the boats being moved out 1 month every winter for dredging.
From what I've heard about Milford Haven, I can understand its popularity.

I approached Neyland but they don't allow liveaboards. Does look pretty though. However, I don't like avacodo and my newish mid grade deck shoes are already looking grubby, so clearly I wouldn't fit in anyway. 😁

Whiterose

Visit site
From what I've heard about Milford Haven, I can understand its popularity.

I approached Neyland but they don't allow liveaboards. Does look pretty though. However, I don't like avacodo and my newish mid grade deck shoes are already looking grubby, so clearly I wouldn't fit in anyway. 😁
No one checks if you’re a liveaboard or just frequent visitor.Always thought Milford Marina was run for the benefit of its staff

V1701

Visit site
I stayed in Milford for four nights a couple of years ago, reasonable prices, super friendly staff, everything you need, I'd have no qualms living aboard there. It is run by the local authority, i.e. is not a private business...