Liveaboard on the Clyde

Alistairr

Visit site
Hi all,

Do all marinas allow liveaboards, or only certain ones?

Does anyone liveaboard on the Clyde, if so which marinas allow it and is it their normal berthing rate or different for liveaboards?

Thanks in advance.

V1701

Visit site
The advice used to be that you'd probably be fine just don't mention the "L" word and be quiet and respectful, don't hang your laundry out making it obvious, etc. However it's never been the case that coastal/sea marinas officially allowed it, but most have or had a few living under the radar that were or are tolerated. Covid/lockdowns meant we all became more visible, consequently some marinas have now insisted that the terms of their contracts are followed and pretty much all of those contracts state that living aboard is not allowed.

But wait for some more replies from those local to the Clyde, perhaps make a few discreet enquiries if you possibly can of those already with boats in the marinas you have in mind but in some places liveaboards have a bad rep so be prepared for perhaps even a bit of hostility. That said I'm on the south coast it might be different where you are...

Good luck with your plans...(y)

Jodel

Visit site
Largs has the following wording...
10 Living aboard is prohibited in the Marina. Berth holders and their guests may not stay on board the Vessel for more than 14 nights per month over a 3 month period, without the prior written consent of the Company.
Whether it is possible to obtain written consent and at what price I do not know.

It would seem to me that if you work nightshifts you are in the clear ;)

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Largs has the following wording...
10 Living aboard is prohibited in the Marina. Berth holders and their guests may not stay on board the Vessel for more than 14 nights per month over a 3 month period, without the prior written consent of the Company.
Whether it is possible to obtain written consent and at what price I do not know.

Yes at the discretion of the manager on site, to occasionally extend a stay beyond an average of 14 days per month as a one off and not for long

Yes, for a price, if you've been living on the boat in that marina for a long time (like five to ten years) already

Definitely not as a new arrival looking to live on board

That's the official word anyway

CapPugwash

Visit site
Doesn't it depend on the marina. Largs is very up market yet I know some liveaboards there. I've known others at other marinas too. Often they work at said marina which helps I guess.

cherod

Visit site
I think we all know the official position on live aboards , here or anywhere else and the worst think to do is broadcast where or how anyone may be managing it , surely if anyone wants / needs to elaborate it is best done throo PM ?

Minerva

Visit site
It’s certainly very common for boat owners on the Clyde and West Coast in general to spend the full summer living aboard. They’d usually be moving about a bit though.

question being; do you need to be in a Marina 12 months of the year? Why not spend the summer months being on a sheltered swinging mooring? (Gareloch / Port Bannatyne ?) Power shouldn’t be an issue even with working from “home” on a laptop given suitable solar and battery bank. Just pop into a marina every week or so to top up with water.

Come winter, then your not a “live aboard” but a “full time cruiser” looking to stop off for the winter to shelter for the winter…