liveaboard on a mooring

AndrewB

Visit site
My impression is that there are comparatively few liveaboards on moorings in England, and none long-term on anchor. (But then, how would one know?)

Key factors are the wind strengths in winter, and the strength of tide, which may make dinghying a problem; the cold and damp in winter, which makes access to round-the-clock shore power an advantage; the long, dark and boring winter evenings.

Those that can't afford a marina will opt for a mud berth up a creek, within reach of the shore.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mainshiptom

Visit site
I live part time on my boat !

Some of the time in a marina like enviroment on a mud berth with a floating pontoon which has water and electricty available !

Other times would be a float in a marina (costly)

One item which I find is very good is a water connection to mains which by pass the Water tank and pump so I can take long showers and not worry about running out of water and also no noise of any pumps !

<hr width=100% size=1>

wpsalm

Visit site
The reason I ask ,cruising on a micro budget in the tropics no problem..live at anchor more or less continuosly....was in Cornwall 2 years ago to pick up a boat for delivery back here to the West Indies liked the look of the place and seems cheap enough ,bought my winter clothes at Oxfam and found lots of good secondhand book stores for the long winter nights...but living in a marina beyond my means unless I take regular employment and thats out of the question...so what exactly is a mud berth ?

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Yes, I did just the same when cruising in the tropics. But we moved back into a marina when we returned to England.

Living on a mooring would be OK in the summer, but for the reasons I gave, personally I wouldn't like to between October and April. Most yachts are taken off their moorings and stored ashore during that period. Some people live aboard like that, but it's not the easiest with the sanitation.

Mud (tidal) berths are a result of the big tides we have. Places on rivers and creeks where you are only afloat a couple of hours each day. They are to be found in most parts of the country, more in the east than the west. The mud gets so soft even a fin-keeler will settle down easily. Often they have pontoon access. They are cheaper than marinas but dearer than moorings.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
I have a friend who has lived aboard his rather nice smack for quite a few years now -on a mooring whilst not sailing in the summer months and in a mud berth in the winter.

Another friend does the same sort of thing on a more modern boat but he actually goes on a mooring within very easy dinghy range of the shore in the winter.

I have thought of doing the same. Much nicer than a marina.

Good mud berths have a decent gangway and shore power.....

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Mirelle on 02/07/2003 23:45 (server time).</FONT></P>