Liveaboard face-off: Amel Sharki vs Nauticat

sv_lincoln

Visit site
Hi, we're a couple in our early 30s looking to buy our first fulltime liveaboard for living and sailing in and around the Med/UK/Canary Islands.

We've been lurking around the forum for a couple of years now while planning how to make the move. We have made a list of bulletpoints (we think it's easier to read) and we'd appreciate your thoughts.

From several years of extensive research, planning and with our budget limitations, our final candidates are an Amel Sharki and various models of a Nauticat. Bearing in mind our "must haves" please feel free to add other suggestions re model and makes.

We'd love to hear your thoughts and just get a bit of a discussion going.

Thanks everyone!

PS: this is not an extensive list, we've highlighted the key points so we're not here until Xmas!

OBJECTIVE
- Full time liveaboard in the Med and maybe trips to the UK and Canary Islands.

MUST HAVES
- Monohull
- Protected or semi-protected rudder.
- Easy access for large dog breed in sequence: down below > cockpit/pilothouse > deck. This means he can do it alone without needing us all the time.
- Sailboat or motorsailer.
- Between 36-38 and 45ft for sailboats and 33ft to 45ft for motorsailers.
- Under 100k
- Not a project.

IDEAL
- Full keel.
- Ketch
- Aft cabin
- Self maintenance possible (ie: fuel tank and motor with good accessibility)

PREFERRED
- Non teak deck.
- Without unnecessary cabins and heads (won't be chartered).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

EXAMPLE 1: Amel Sharki
- Pro: ticks all boxes and is Bluewater ready.
- Pro: Good accessibility for the dog and for maintenance.
- Pro: reputation
- Con: not many of them in Europe.
- Con: small galley
- Con: More pricey

EXAMPLE 2: Nauticat 33 && 331, 35, 44..
- Pro: better prices than Amel.
- Pro: Good accessibility for the dog.
- Ticks the "must haves" boxes.
- Doubt 1: how does it sail in light winds? We won't be in a rush to go anywhere. We've seen conflicting comments on this.
- Doubt 2: how suitable is the wheelhouse for warm weathers? We've seen conflicting comments on this too - promising ones from NC owners in this forum.

reefknot

Visit site
Having had 3 ketches I wouldn't have another. They never sail very well the only time they are useful is in a gale. and on anchor a reefed mizzen is useful.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Don't know the Sharki, Santorin would be my choice, see quite a lot around in Europe and never heard a complaint about them from owners, unlike the Nauticat 33 we sailed in company with across the Channel and Brittany, rolled like a pig and very hot in wheelhouse.

dunedin

Visit site
If planning to cruise the Mediterranean why do you want a long keel (and protected rudder)? With the amount of stern to mooring, and often tight spaces in marinas, I would want something easier to manoeuvre in reverse - which tends to be fin keel and skeg or spade rudder. Personally a long keel would be on my “avoid” list to minimise stress. But each to their own.

V1701

Visit site
I hate saying this but if you are UK citizens I'd get your skates on, buy a boat and go get residency somewhere in the EU before the end of the Brexit transition period because if you don't, as UK citizens you'll be subject to Schengen visa rules...

Back to boats - dunedin has a point, motorsailers are great for FT liveaboard in northern climes but wheelhouse can get very hot, saying that my Colvic Watson 34 is nice and cool below, it is very well insulated though. If you plan to anchor most of the time and overwinter in a marina long keel not so much of a problem, they do not go well in reverse though so parking on town quays would be stressful/difficult. Out of the two that you mention I'd go for the Amel but beware of how much money needs to be spent after you've bought the boat - new sails, rigging, canvas work, cushions, even engine - all very expensive if needing replacement. Good luck and follow your dreams if you can...

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
I hate saying this but if you are UK citizens I'd get your skates on, buy a boat and go get residency somewhere in the EU before the end of the Brexit transition period because if you don't, as UK citizens you'll be subject to Schengen visa rules...

Buying a boat (VAT?) and residency (Schengen!) - 2 completely different issues.

Suggest you keep them separate otherwise it will become totally confusing.

V1701, looking at your location, are you and interested bystander or do you have active involvement in these issues?

If you have an active involvement, which EU country/ies?

Different countries have very different attitudes to freedom of movement post the Transition Period.

Last edited:

dslittle

Visit site
If planning to cruise the Mediterranean why do you want a long keel (and protected rudder)? With the amount of stern to mooring, and often tight spaces in marinas, I would want something easier to manoeuvre in reverse - which tends to be fin keel and skeg or spade rudder. Personally a long keel would be on my “avoid” list to minimise stress. But each to their own.

We’ve done this and I agree with Dunedin. I guess it’s not helpful to tell you what you should avoid if you’ve made your mind up BUT most of your time on board in the Med will be spent on deck hopefully in a BIG cockpit. For those not so nice days, a cockpit canopy (one of out best buys) gives the protection. The best yachts for that do not meet your criteria in my opinion. A very good friend has an Amel and, when the sun was shining, spent more time on our boat than his... That being said, many people do live aboard in warmer climes on the yachts that you mention so it’s a case of each to their own.
Do continue your research and speak to/spend as much time with others who have done this. I would say that half of the stuff that I put onboard our yacht that we absolutely needed before we left has never been used !!!

V1701

Visit site
Buying a boat (VAT?) and residency (Schengen!) - 2 completely different issues.

Suggest you keep them separate otherwise it will become totally confusing.

V1701, looking at your location, are you and interested bystander or do you have active involvement in these issues?

If you have an active involvement, which EU country/ies?

Different countries have very different attitudes to freedom of movement post the Transition Period.

Depends on your definition of active involvement but I had booked a year off work this year to sail my Bowman 26 to Portugal in order to a) have the boat in EU waters and B) get a 5 year temporary residency before end of transition, thereby buying some breathing space/freedom to roam in Europe. Year off was cancelled due to Coronavirus, I was/am gutted but still hope to somehow be able to salvage something...

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Hi, we're a couple in our early 30s looking to buy our first fulltime liveaboard for living and sailing in and around the Med/UK/Canary Islands.

We've been lurking around the forum for a couple of years now while planning how to make the move. We have made a list of bulletpoints (we think it's easier to read) and we'd appreciate your thoughts.

From several years of extensive research, planning and with our budget limitations, our final candidates are an Amel Sharki and various models of a Nauticat. Bearing in mind our "must haves" please feel free to add other suggestions re model and makes.

We'd love to hear your thoughts and just get a bit of a discussion going.

Thanks everyone!

PS: this is not an extensive list, we've highlighted the key points so we're not here until Xmas!

OBJECTIVE
- Full time liveaboard in the Med and maybe trips to the UK and Canary Islands.

MUST HAVES
- Monohull
- Protected or semi-protected rudder.
- Easy access for large dog breed in sequence: down below > cockpit/pilothouse > deck. This means he can do it alone without needing us all the time.
- Sailboat or motorsailer.
- Between 36-38 and 45ft for sailboats and 33ft to 45ft for motorsailers.
- Under 100k
- Not a project.

IDEAL
- Full keel.
- Ketch
- Aft cabin
- Self maintenance possible (ie: fuel tank and motor with good accessibility)

PREFERRED
- Non teak deck.
- Without unnecessary cabins and heads (won't be chartered).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

EXAMPLE 1: Amel Sharki
- Pro: ticks all boxes and is Bluewater ready.
- Pro: Good accessibility for the dog and for maintenance.
- Pro: reputation
- Con: not many of them in Europe.
- Con: small galley
- Con: More pricey

EXAMPLE 2: Nauticat 33 && 331, 35, 44..
- Pro: better prices than Amel.
- Pro: Good accessibility for the dog.
- Ticks the "must haves" boxes.
- Doubt 1: how does it sail in light winds? We won't be in a rush to go anywhere. We've seen conflicting comments on this.
- Doubt 2: how suitable is the wheelhouse for warm weathers? We've seen conflicting comments on this too - promising ones from NC owners in this forum.
Have you taken the dog out on a boat? Lots of dogs take to it, some don't.

STILL AFLOAT

Visit site
Most people, with large Nauticats, rig an awning, under the boom. I have seen many configurations. Some put theirs up, once at anchor, or in a marina.
Others , with a sense of creativity, manage to rig awnings/ sunshades that do not need taking down, even while sailing ( In Normal Weather ) also, the Nauticat, at least in my day, was more of a Motorsailer, than a true Sailboat, I have not looked at the modern versions, but the 45 ft one from the 80s- 90s, had great ventilation with the awning up and the side doors open. Re Dog ? No Idea !
As regards, the Full Keel, or Cut away Forefoot, Then you need to seriously consider a large Bow Thruster !
Unfortunately, lots of people, buy bowthrusters, that are too small ! Especially, if you are trying to back into a space, in the Med ! The winds there, can often be quite strong, and nothing is more frustrating , than a bow thruster , that cannot combat, the normal wind !
( Obviously Im not talking about Gales ! )
Good Luck.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Depends on your definition of active involvement but I had booked a year off work this year to sail my Bowman 26 to Portugal in order to a) have the boat in EU waters and B) get a 5 year temporary residency before end of transition, thereby buying some breathing space/freedom to roam in Europe. Year off was cancelled due to Coronavirus, I was/am gutted but still hope to somehow be able to salvage something...

By any yardstick that is active involvement✅

Sending you a PM.

sv_lincoln

Visit site
Thanks for all your suggestions and comments folks.

Re rudder/keel, I guess ultimately it's personal choice but if we're to cross Biscay, head down to the Canaries or venture further we'd feel more at ease. We hope to spend decent time at anchor, hence ketch options, and do some UK sailing too. We want a versatile home basically, not a holiday villa.

We have both UK/EU citizenship and residency, and our lab loves being on board/underway, thankfully! :)

Re wheelhouse temp - it is a concern, having only ever spent time in the Med without one. We've read here and elsewhere some owners saying it is not bad at all, that open hatches and a craftily rigged awning (like STILL AFLOAT suggests) can mitigate having a greenhouse on deck. That said we're open to suggestions because we haven't tried it ourselves and value owners' experience.

You all make really valuable points and as mentioned we're open to alternatives. I guess we have two main items we keep circling around:

1- Do you happen to know other sailboats that have an accessible companionway for med/large dogs? Ie, not too deep or steep? To be honest this is the real selling point on the Nauticat pilothouse m/s options for us but we're mindful not to get blindsided.

2- Nauticat owners and those who have sailed them, how do they sail? We're not in a rush to get anywhere but ultimately we love sailing; A to B under sail is preferable.

LinTeal

Visit site
Thanks for all your suggestions and comments folks.

Re rudder/keel, I guess ultimately it's personal choice but if we're to cross Biscay, head down to the Canaries or venture further we'd feel more at ease. We hope to spend decent time at anchor, hence ketch options, and do some UK sailing too. We want a versatile home basically, not a holiday villa.

We have both UK/EU citizenship and residency, and our lab loves being on board/underway, thankfully! :)

Re wheelhouse temp - it is a concern, having only ever spent time in the Med without one. We've read here and elsewhere some owners saying it is not bad at all, that open hatches and a craftily rigged awning (like STILL AFLOAT suggests) can mitigate having a greenhouse on deck. That said we're open to suggestions because we haven't tried it ourselves and value owners' experience.

You all make really valuable points and as mentioned we're open to alternatives. I guess we have two main items we keep circling around:

1- Do you happen to know other sailboats that have an accessible companionway for med/large dogs? Ie, not too deep or steep? To be honest this is the real selling point on the Nauticat pilothouse m/s options for us but we're mindful not to get blindsided.

2- Nauticat owners and those who have sailed them, how do they sail? We're not in a rush to get anywhere but ultimately we love sailing; A to B under sail is preferable.

LinTeal

Visit site
I sailed across the Atlantic to the Azores last year on a friends Sharki and I can confirm they are brilliantly engineered boats.For instance they have a waterproof bulkhead and minimal skin fittings.If you want chapter and verse on them please PM me and I will put you in contact with the owner.

gvolos

Visit site
I sailed across the Atlantic to the Azores last year on a friends Sharki and I can confirm they are brilliantly engineered boats.For instance they have a waterproof bulkhead and minimal skin fittings.If you want chapter and verse on them please PM me and I will put you in contact with the owner.
Hi there. Do you think you can get me in touch with the Sharki owner? I'm also interested in buying one and his opinion would be of great help. Thank you.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I quite agree. I’ve sailed and owned long keeled boats and they’re a often a complete PITA. For all the claimed advantages of comfortable motion and tracking well, there are plenty of moderate designed fin keeled boats that track equally as well sail much better and are definitely easier to manoeuvre in close quarters and under power.

In some of the long keeled boats that I’ve sailed going astern was a complete lottery. One boat I know of cannot ever steer to starboard going astern. It doesn’t matter what you do it’ll either go vaguely straight or to port.

If you’re going to spend most of your time sailing high latitudes and hove to in outrageous conditions then I’m sure a long keeled boat has its advantages. For the average Liveaboard cruising in the Med and around UK and the Canaries I’m not convinced.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Why the fixation with minimal skin fittings? Well maintained skin fittings aren’t ever going to be a problem.

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
If you're interested in Nauticats join the NC owners group on facebook - it's quite active with lots of 'projects'/improvements going on. Nauticat International | Facebook
As well as a Nic39 I have a 1983 Finmar 361 which became the Nauticat 36. Nice interior. Wheelhouse is well ventilated when both doors are open and the large sliding coachroof hatch is open.
Ideal boat for UK waters. Med - I'm not so sure you can ask on the FB page. It's a very competent motor sailer.
I was interested in a very nice Sharki but the puny galley with the stove right next to the saloon seating put me off. I don't know why they thought that was a good idea. Perhapds Monsieur Amel, who was half-blind, didn't do much cooking.

V1701

Visit site
Hi there. Do you think you can get me in touch with the Sharki owner? I'm also interested in buying one and his opinion would be of great help. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum,

This thread is nearly 2 years old now but you could try a PM, you'll need to have made a few more posts I think before the system will allow you to do that...