Liveaboard choice for young newbie in London

RupertW

Visit site
Well, we've found a few possibles for sale with a transferable residential mooring, a couple in South Dock Marina, a long way from his original target but that might be the inevitable compromise. Any comments on that location?

It's near things is probably the best thing about it. I often walk past it on the way from Greenwich to wherever I give up and get a boat back.

Within 10 minutes - Surrey Quays station for quick tube line, Surrey Quays shopping centre which is big and comprehensive from food to clothes and a big Decathlon, fast boat to Canary Wharf and central London. A little bit further walk away is trendy Deptford and some nice pubs along the river on the Rotherhithe side and even better ones crossing to Limehouse.

Visit site
Well, we've found a few possibles for sale with a transferable residential mooring, a couple in South Dock Marina, a long way from his original target but that might be the inevitable compromise. Any comments on that location?
If he likes sailing, there is lots of dinghy activity. It's an interesting historic area, but the casual inner city violence and crime might be offputting.
S.Dock is a (relative) oasis of peace, but wander round the wrong local estate and there is a fair chance of being stabbed..(transport links etc are great, as said above.)
I suppose it depends if he is used to deprived, multiracial neighbourhoods of big cities, or leafy picture-postcard villages in the Cotswolds..

Last edited:

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
He's shown no interest in sailing (or not so far), but London is where he wants to be, he's lived in Brixton last year and Camberwell this year. The safety thing worries his parents more than him, but I totally take the point.

Found another boat today at Limehouse Basin, residential mooring included. Location looks OK on paper. (or screen). Original budget looks hopelessly optimistic, this is quite a bit more money again but still very cheap for a permanent pad in London.

GHA

Visit site
Limehouse is much better placed than South Dock, lived in both. Surrey quays is a bit fiesty but getting stabbed for wandering up the wrong street isn't really high onbthe risk scale. Limehouse is right next to dlr railway rather than the walk to the underground in Surrey quays, plus not too far to walk down to docklands for the river bus. Friendly office and you can get mail sent to the office.

RupertW

Visit site
Limehouse is much better placed than South Dock, lived in both. Surrey quays is a bit fiesty but getting stabbed for wandering up the wrong street isn't really high onbthe risk scale. Limehouse is right next to dlr railway rather than the walk to the underground in Surrey quays, plus not too far to walk down to docklands for the river bus. Friendly office and you can get mail sent to the office.

Agreed and you are right by the good pubs on narrow street - further to the Jubilee line in Canary Wharf than the walk from South Quay but otherwise a much better area so surprised it's affordable. But neither areas are Brixton or Camberwell - nearest trendy place is Deptford so I'm not sure why he'd be keen to move far from his social life at that age.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
...But neither areas are Brixton or Camberwell - nearest trendy place is Deptford so I'm not sure why he'd be keen to move far from his social life at that age.

Well that's right. To be fair it's good to do the research now (and I'm pleased he's finally woken up a bit!) and if it results in him making a better informed decision, then all good.

RupertW

Visit site
Is this from extensive experience of living in Limehouse and Rotherhithe or the advice notes from the 2002 countryside alliance march?

I did wonder as I live close the area. Both those areas are pretty safe apart from the Pepys Estate which is grim, has knife crime and I only occasionally walk through it, rather than safely around it on the river side.

laika

Visit site
Thanks. Local knowledge!

Sounds like RupertW has the sarf side covered. I've have a fair bit of experience of living and working around Limehouse.

The area around narrow street is full of upmarket apartments. The worst thing I could say about it is that it's dead at night and that I've never fancied going into the Barley Mow since Gordon Ramsey took over and changed the name. Lack of life might have made it a dull spot for an art student 20 years ago but these days a mountain bike from the marina will take you up the regent's canal to victoria park and hackney or up limehouse cut to the delights of hackney wick. The Regent's canal will of course take you to Camden which you mentioned as an objective in the original post. Where is he studying? It's about 7 miles on the towpath. public transport would be DLR to bank, northern line to camden.

I'm suspecting that you've modified your £15k budget. A residential mooring with token hulk attached is surely well into 6 figures

Hmm...I think maybe we could benefit from GHA commenting on the marina community aspect of both places. This is something I have no direct knowledge of

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
He's at Camberwell with 18 months to go.

Budget - you're right, original budget blown completely, it's not at all realistic once the need for the residential mooring became clear in Bru's post #5. Though there's a few to be found at 30-50k which don't look at all bad in the photos. Having said that. he can't raise that kind of money and I'm not willing to stump up that much of a difference....!