Live aboard in British isles

Seven Spades

Visit site
A Nauticat is an excellent boat to live on. I think they are probably sluggish under sail but I would think that you are probably not in a hurray.

joha

Visit site
I am living aboard a Voyager 35 and have been since 2011 Its the deck saloon version of the Warrior and Challenger. Its comfortable, the saloon is light and airy and she actually sails not to badly either :)
Before that I lived aboard a carter 30 for nigh on 8 years which was ok for one person but a bit of a squeeze for two!

R1chB1ch

Visit site
No boat will allow comfortable all year living in the UK, .

What a silly statement!!

We have lived aboard for 11 years and are extremely comfortable - you just have to find the right boat. We have a 50' trawler yacht and to keep warm we have both a woodburner with radiators off the back boiler and a D5 Eberspacher. In the winter we use a couple of dehumidifiers. We have installed double glazed sealed units in our windows. Our wardrobes are all on internal walls. We have a domestic sized gas oven, fridge freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer. We've even installed a custom made full length bath!
We are NEVER cold.
We are NEVER damp.
We NEVER have water running down our windows.
Our clothes are NEVER damp and smelly.

And whilst she may sound like a floating flat she is used very regularly. We are currently cruising the north coast of France and over the years use her most weekends, even if it's just to go out to our favourite anchorage!

The OP hasn't mentioned a budget which will obviously play a big factor in things but it is possible to live aboard comfortably all year round :)

Atlanta_31

Visit site
We lived on a Colvic Atlanta 31 for 4 years, comfy warm and dry. I wanted a boat that sails better, we now live on a nic 43 and love it, it really depends what you want from a boat as what to what will suit you.

saltySide

Visit site
I've lived on my boat through the winter, mercury has read -7 on a particularly cold day. I have an Eberspacher on a timer & oil filled rads and a dehumidifer. Boat is a fairline 32 - GRP with almost no insulation.
Your comfort is usually limited by your creativity. We have liveaboards with diesel stoves, coal burners, and Eberspachers on a wide varity of boats.

Visit site
I lived on my kestrel 22 in my younger day. Ok in the summer except when it rained as I had a tiny leak above my bunk. The winter was a dark cold and sometimes lonely period for me, especially between girlfriends. But that was forty odd years ago.
I would go for the biggest you can afford, preferably with a wheelhouse and a Woodburner, plenty of free fuel around.

Sybarite

Visit site
"The £200 Millionaire" :

“I then asked myself: "Can I continue to live aboard this little boat from year's end to year's end in health and comfort of body and mind?" As far as the summers were concerned I knew I could answer that with a whole-hearted "Yes." But what about the winters? Could I endure being shut up in a small confined space while the gales blew and it was cold and wet, and the nights were long and dark? I wondered. And I had to admit to myseif, very much against the grain, that I probably would not be able to endure these things. I remember I went to bed after that, feeling very miserable. But when I woke up next morning the first thing I said to myself was "but why stay in England in the winter: Why be cold and wet when all you have to do is to follow the sun and sail your boat (your Home) south?"

http://www.bluemoment.com/200pm.html