Linking depth data to Navionics on a tablet

seanfoster

Visit site
Hi All,
Been a member on here for a long time but not posted in a while.

I am really scratching my head at this one, seems like there should be a relatively simple solution to this but I just cant find it, I want to input depth data into Navionics on an android tablet (cheaply!).

I have seen another thread very similar to this but no real answer was given.

As I see it I can use a quark-elec AIS Receiver with NMEA Multiplexer + WiFi + GPS for less than £150 which can provide AIS, and NMEA 0183 interface and also wifi and GPS, this can be picked up by the tablet.

I thought it would be relatively easy to find a depth sounder that could send NMEA 0183.

I can't find anything that will send an NMEA 0183 output, emailed NASA and their clipper depth won't sent it although I found someone had created a DIY interface for one using very complex electronics (to me) and raspbery pi programming.

It was sugessted that a cheap fishfinder would be a good solution but again I can't fnd anything that would work.

I have found someone selling new old stock ST30 bidata units with transducers for less than £200 but looking at the manual won't output NMEA 0183 only seatalk (1 I believe).

I think there is a solution using a seaalk 1 to NMEA 0183 bridge that may work, could anyone give me a bit of advice, or suggest any alternatives?

Thanks in advance!

Minerva

Visit site
I think the only way to make it work will be via NMEA2000 then feed it into a chartplotter to mirror on the tablet - I know OpenCPN has this functionality and I think Garmin does too.

Baddox

Visit site
We have a actisense multiplex wifi dongle linked to a Sea Talk box and it works well transmitting data including depth to Navionics.

Previously on a different boat I had a down scan fish finder which had no screen, only a wifi output. I think it was dragonfly from Raymarine but cannot be sure.

Navionics have a 2019 guide to interfacing sounders with tablets https://www.navionics.com/media/Boating_app_AIS_Devices.pdf

There are other posts on YBW too, which may help… NMEA data on iPad Navionics chart

AMOREST

Visit site
Hi - Old B&G Network Depth (if you can get one) can give out NMEA0183. But you need to get the right cable core out of the multi.

I got NMEA0183 out this way and via a Quark - got to see depth on Navionics.

Here’s a link from another place which describes the process a bit better.

Old B&G Network Instrument Wiring - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

You can also get an E85001 Seatalk to NMEA 0183 box if you get a Raymarine unit.
A.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I think there is a solution using a seaalk 1 to NMEA 0183 bridge that may work, could anyone give me a bit of advice, or suggest any alternatives?
It depends what electronics you have already and what your budget is - without that information, no-one can give you meaningful suggestions.

If you're starting from scratch today then you should probably choose an NMEA 2000 network, but obviously each sensor / instrument adds to the cost.

Integrating a pile of old sensors and instruments makes it much more complicated and no-one can help you without the details of what you have already.

If you're starting from scratch and literally all you want to do is get depth data into Navionics then you might use something like Garmin's GDT 43 transducer then Quark's QK-A034 talks NMEA 2000. Then you have a backbone with only 2 devices T'd off it, but it's very easy to add additional devices - e.g. wind transducer, Raymarine i70 display - by adding T's.

Refueler

Visit site
The Depth output will need to be NMEA ...

If you have that - then a simple item as :

NMEA4WIFI - 4 x INPUT NMEA 0183 WIFI MULTIPLEXER WITH SEATALK1 INPUT | eBay

will take that data and transmit it via WiFi to your tablet .... in fact if you feed in all your GPS / Speed / Wind / Depth / AIS - that unit will combine and send it all ...

No need for fancy bits and bobs ... I'm about to upgrade my NMEA2WiFi unit to the 4 ... note it also has Seatalk capability ... not That I use that.

Note that it can also pick up external WiFi such as weak marina and relay it ... giving you better connection.

seanfoster

Visit site
Thanks for everyone's replies here, very useful and will investigate the suggestions made.

I think I may be on to something, as I mentioned I was looking at geting a new old stock ST30 bidata which has a combined depth/speed transducer, it has seatalk output as standard (but older standard) and came across this unit from Quark-elec wjilst looking at their site and it has a seatalk interface with nmea 0183 output (which can go to my 10 yr old dsc vhf for gps input), AIS, GPS and wifi output all for £150.

QK-A027 Wireless AIS Receiver with GPS + SeaTalk Converter -

1704818149576.png

I think this may work....

Refueler

Visit site
Thanks for everyone's replies here, very useful and will investigate the suggestions made.

I think I may be on to something, as I mentioned I was looking at geting a new old stock ST30 bidata which has a combined depth/speed transducer, it has seatalk output as standard (but older standard) and came across this unit from Quark-elec wjilst looking at their site and it has a seatalk interface with nmea 0183 output (which can go to my 10 yr old dsc vhf for gps input), AIS, GPS and wifi output all for £150.

QK-A027 Wireless AIS Receiver with GPS + SeaTalk Converter -

View attachment 170430

I think this may work....

Why are you going to spend 3x the money that an NMEA4WiFi costs ??

For 62 euros - you can have the NMEA4WiFi unit that accepts Seatalk1 as well as any other NMJEA 0183 ... combines and outputs to 0183 .. USB ... and WiFi ...

Your money mate !

Minerva

Visit site
Why are you going to spend 3x the money that an NMEA4WiFi costs ??

For 62 euros - you can have the NMEA4WiFi unit that accepts Seatalk1 as well as any other NMJEA 0183 ... combines and outputs to 0183 .. USB ... and WiFi ...

Your money mate !
FWIW I have a yakker NMEA to wifi converter thing. I also have a Nasa Wireless Wind instrument installed. I think these two devices speak / operate on a too similar frequency or otherwise are not friends operating on the same system/boat.

I found the Yakker strong and reliable when set up for a few weeks my my shed, took it to the boat and wind instrument unreliable connection and the wind instrument became un reliable too.

Gave up after a season and the wind instrument back to strong reliable service.

Appreciate a niche set up, but may save someone a headache

chris-s

Visit site
Umm…does navionics actually accept depth data? I know it does support ais but have never seen anything mentioned about anything else.

seanfoster

Visit site
Ah, I wasn't aware of the Yacker, that looks very good value and simple setup, the only thing is I like the built in AIS and GPS on the Qwark elec unit.

Thanks for the replies, the recommendation for the garmin fish finders look like a good possible option as well, and also good to see others using similar set up.

Once again, thanks everyone for your reples!

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
Ah, I wasn't aware of the Yacker, that looks very good value and simple setup, the only thing is I like the built in AIS and GPS on the Qwark elec unit.

Thanks for the replies, the recommendation for the garmin fish finders look like a good possible option as well, and also good to see others using similar set up.

Once again, thanks everyone for your reples!
i also have AIS data going to my Navionics via the Yakker.
PM me if you need help setting it up...

Refueler

Visit site
I have and can recommend the Vela Navega NMEA2 WiFi which takes NMEA and Seatalk 1 data and transmits it on WiFi to Navionics on iPad and Android on my boat.

You can buy a kit (solder it yourself) for €32.

Have a look at the website SeaTalk1 Bus

I have the 2 .... he does a 4 version now which I have ordered.

My NMEA2WiFi works excellently ..... others come on board and are surprised by it .. especially when I give the password and they log into it for the data stream ..