Lightweight Gangway recommendations

Neeves

Visit site
This meant to be PBO not a forum for 'which chandler'. :)

GRP covering a foam plank backed with 2 of Concerto's square/rectangular ducting, post 17 (down pipes) glassed onto the underside. Some one will be able to suggest rollers for the shore side end, a way to securely attach to the yacht and making it two part should not be beyond the wit of man (not a forum member)

That's basically the build of many catamaran bridge decks (and why the longitudinal bracing on some cats looks so familiar).

Irish Rover

Visit site
This meant to be PBO not a forum for 'which chandler'. :)

GRP covering a foam plank backed with 2 of Concerto's square/rectangular ducting, post 17 (down pipes) glassed onto the underside. Some one will be able to suggest rollers for the shore side end, a way to securely attach to the yacht and making it two part should not be beyond the wit of man (not a forum member)

That's basically the build of many catamaran bridge decks (and why the longitudinal bracing on some cats looks so familiar).
Thanks. That's very helpful 🤬 . I should have consulted you before I bought the boat and you could have told me how to build my own catamaran.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to go with #10. No customs issues delivering to the boat in Croatia so we'll have it to use for the delivery trip.

Bouba

Visit site
I went through this dilemma several times over a long period of time…I have boarding planks all over the garden…folding ones and sliding ones. I spent a fortune and a huge amount of effort. At the end of the day only a hydraulic passerelle will ever do the job properly…

Irish Rover

Visit site
I went through this dilemma several times over a long period of time…I have boarding planks all over the garden…folding ones and sliding ones. I spent a fortune and a huge amount of effort. At the end of the day only a hydraulic passerelle will ever do the job properly…
You're right, I suppose. I have one on my current boat. On the other hand a hydraulic passerelle takes up a lot of room on the swim platform and below decks and is another bit of tech to go wrong. Did I mention, by the way, that they're also crazy expensive. An original replacement remote for my present Bezenzoni is almost as expensive as #10.

Bouba

Visit site
You're right, I suppose. I have one on my current boat. On the other hand a hydraulic passerelle takes up a lot of room on the swim platform and below decks and is another bit of tech to go wrong. Did I mention, by the way, that they're also crazy expensive. An original replacement remote for my present Bezenzoni is almost as expensive as #10.
Absolutely correct…which is why I hunted so desperately for a cheaper solution…including electric Passerelle (not hydraulic) and inflatable

Bouba

Visit site
This is just one of my many solutions....first I electrified the winch on my mast (remember I have nearly as much rigging as a yacht)...so with a remote control I could raise and lower the gangplank....plus I had enough rigging to properly secure the whole system...

The first big wind it flew up in the air and wrapped around all the ropes 😩😖

Bouba

Visit site
I later came across this boat with a similar set up....he also had a lot of rigging, and he has attached the passerelle to the boat much more sturdier...helps that he has a metal boat

Bouba

Visit site
This is one of the alternative systems I investigated....but there are probably even more things available nowadays ( five years later)

vas

Visit site
IR, didn't go through all the links, but the good old solution of a circa 2m ali ladder with a piece of 10mm (or less) plywood cut just at the step width and drilled bolted every few steps is not good enough?
I understand you need to find a pivot and it doesn't fold, but even #10 is a joke 500euro for that? ffs!

Irish Rover

Visit site
IR, didn't go through all the links, but the good old solution of a circa 2m ali ladder with a piece of 10mm (or less) plywood cut just at the step width and drilled bolted every few steps is not good enough?
I understand you need to find a pivot and it doesn't fold, but even #10 is a joke 500euro for that? ffs!
You're right of course :giggle:. I'm going to pick up my new boat in Split late April and motor to Türkiye. I'm allowing myself 6 maybe 7 days in Split pre departure, and and I have an ever increasing list of things to sort out there before I leave, including paperwork to export a VAT not paid boat. I don't even know my way around the place or where to find stuff so everything will take longer and, of course, I'll have limited access to tools. So any almost ready to rock solution even @ €600+ may help save my sanity.

dunedin

Visit site
You clearly don’t understand boat economics. One BOAT unit is £1,000.
So a passarelle at €500 (ie just under £500) is less than half a BOAT unit and therefore, applying rounding, is 0 BOAT units - ie free. :cool:

DownWest

Visit site
Wot he said.. I made one from a section of a sliding ladder, 'paved' with aluminium checker plate. Didn't need to fold n the old wooden pilot boat, but a hinge would have added a little. Price was a reasonable meal level. It was quite light and I added side poles with a rope hand rail.

Little story...
The big ketch company yacht was in for it's winter work. CEO had some friends down and decided to show them the boat. Drinks were served.. When they were leaving, CEO was halfway down the gangplank when the deck pivot came out of it's socket. (it was on the todoitlist..) it shot inboard, being suspended from the mizzen mast, Ceo did a forward sumersault and we were all thinking of looking for a job... But, he came down on his feet on the pontoon and his G&T was still in the glass. Such prowess on front of his business mates saved our collective bacon. Nothing was mentioned...

Oh, 'Little story' was in '84, The ladder passeral was in 2000.. So, no, I didn't the one that popped out..

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
One of things I used to use was a folding aluminum motorcycle ramp....cheap, light weight and strong

Boathook

Visit site
Who's laughing? It looks a lot more robust than a lot of the gangways I've been looking at, and a fraction of the price. If there was a way to attach it to the swim platform I'd be interested too.
Use something like a rigging toggle attached and the pin drops through a 'hole' in the deck, a bit like the one in your first post.