Life Certificate

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I am an expat on a state pension. I have just received another request from the Pension Service for me to contact an approved official (Doctor, lawyer, Minister of Religion etc) then show him or her my passport and ask them to sign that I am alive (and who I say I am).

This is the second time I have been asked to do this in the last few years.

Is the Pension Service picking on me or do other expats get the same attention.

Why must I select such an official who can barely speak English rather than anyone from my family when most of them are qualified. My son for instance who is a lawyer is disqualified from the deal because he is a relative. What difference should it make. Why is the word and integrity of a British Lawyer be disregarded in favour of some snivelling little foreign squirt.

Also (I'm not finished) "They" sent me this request on the 1st of July (top of the holiday season) just when I was hoping for an extended boat holiday. If "they" don't get a reply in eight weeks they stop my pension. I could be blissfully swanning around the Med unaware that I was about to be bankrupted. Fortunately it arrived in my post box a few hours before I left for the boat.

End of rant.

MoodySabre

Visit site
When I was in practice I dealt with such things for clients. It seems eminently sensible.
If you had died abroad and a relative did not notify UK authorities then the pension could be paid and the family benefit thereby. This is why a relative cannot certify.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
When I was in practice I dealt with such things for clients. It seems eminently sensible.
If you had died abroad and a relative did not notify UK authorities then the pension could be paid and the family benefit thereby. This is why a relative cannot certify.

I understand the reason. My point is that it is not logical. If the word of a British Lawyer is not good enough because he is a relative, why is (say) the word of a Greek Physiotherapist (they are on the list of acceptable people) have greater weight.

It is all about integrity. They are implying that a relative cannot be trusted because they will benefit. But so will a relative who moves in such circles that a corrupt listed person can be bribed for a cut of the action. After all, both scenarios would be initiated by a relative.

I find it amazing that a Judge or Magistrate does not qualify if they are a relative, This system does not work because the real targets of a Pension Fraud are those very people who will have no problem finding a bent "official" to sign them off.

Anyway this is a ten minute rant. My ten minutes are up.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
Every few years I also receive such a request. With the last, and recent, one I phoned the local British embassy, which incorporates a consular service, expecting to make an appointment for the usual witnessing, stamping and signing ritual that they have always offered. I was eventually told that they no longer provide any such service and that I must go to a notary or other public functionary as witness to my signature.

I was incensed enough to start a thread on the Lounge forum about it here.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Appreciate you frustration, but your argument is surely with the UK authorities. Does that really warrant such gratuitous stereotyping?

You are correct. My anger should be solely against the UK authorities. Extra frustration because I am away from my home base where I know where to go for a signature. So I have to approach a total stranger, who may not be willing to accept the risk of being implicated in a scam. Folk are very wary these days.

Resolution

Visit site
Speaking as a UK taxpayer who is therefore contributing to your state pension, I am delighted that someone is making the effort to check that you are still alive. If the system is difficult for you because you have chosen to desert Blighty for an expat existence, well, tough. Your choice.
Sorry, this sounds unsympathetic, but taxes and pensions are seldom charitable.

Last edited:

boatmike

Visit site
As an expat I also am in the same boat as you. I went to an Undertaker who singed and stamped the form. Has to have rubber stamp.
No charge.
So you went to an undertaker to certify that you weren't dead! Made I chuckle that did.........

bedouin

Visit site
So you went to an undertaker to certify that you weren't dead! Made I chuckle that did.........
Why not - after all an undertaker can be assumed to be an expert in dead bodies and so is qualified to say that you are not one of them :)

Sandyman

Visit site
''Feels like the feeding of the 5,000 all over again, only this time without the miracle!'' :) :)
You're welcome to come & join us. Life is hell out here living on state pensions, a naval pension & a war pension + a private pension. Real hell :) :)

lindsay

Visit site
I had same problem. Delay in getting the letter and sailing around meant I was cut off the pension and only learnt of it when it did not come up on my bank statement when checking on line. I phoned up Newcastle and told them what had happened and a kindly lady said she would put me back on but that I should return the form asap. Very reasonable, I thought. I found someone who operated a proper local business, with local chamber of commerce and the proper numbers, license etc and we quoted those numbers and returned the form, without a stamp actually. All ok and got double pension the next month.

rivonia

Visit site
Speaking as a UK taxpayer who is therefore contributing to your state pension, I am delighted that someone is making the effort to check that you are still alive. If the system is difficult for you because you have chosen to desert Blighty for an expat existence, well, tough. Your choice.
Sorry, this sounds unsympathetic, but taxes and pensions are seldom charitable.

I say old chap that is jolly decent of you. It is so kind of you to mention it as well.drinking-wine.gif