Lidl - oil/diesel pump

awol

Visit site
If it's the same as mine it specifically says not for use with water. I haven't tried it to see what would happen.
What happens is the vanes stick together and stop pumping! Found that out about 5 years ago but disassembly and freeing off only took about half an hour and it has pumped oil every year since. I have inserted a bicycle spoke into the suction tube to keep it stiff otherwise it goes soft and curls up when pumping hot oil.

steveeasy

Visit site
0.2 ltrs per min and a max run time. How many of these will end up in land fill within a year ?. What is so wrong with a suction tube. same price and lasts almost forever. id not waste a tenner in Lidl.

Steveeasy

thalassa

www.wv-saeftinghe.nl
0.2 ltrs per min and a max run time. How many of these will end up in land fill within a year ?. What is so wrong with a suction tube. same price and lasts almost forever. id not waste a tenner in Lidl.

Steveeasy
My Lidl pump lasted two oil pumpouts. The switch was the first to go.

coaster63

Visit site
Hi quick heads up for those that have problems non running pump there is a fuse inside these pumps soldererd inline to wire from switch covered in heatshrink so not immediately apparent ,best fix cut it out and replace with one external to check first when it stops.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
How did you know it would be in your area and when?

More to the point, how can I find out when it might be in my area? I don't want to have to traipse to LIDLs every day in case it appears.
It's in their weekly leaflet, which gets popped into suburban letterboxes over here, (I live in the country, so have to pick it up in the shop),and you can also see all their special offers on their website.
It will be in your area at the same time as all other areas in the UK and in Ireland also.
I' m surprised that there are still some people who are not familiar with Lidl. I should stop here for fear of being accused of advertising?

Last edited:

awol

Visit site

Steveeasy
I've used brass suction pump (works with water!), Pela (never tried with water but why not?), hand pump on an engine and the Lidl toy is the easiest, just switch on and go. .... and yes, I removed the fuse. Still have brass hand pump in case. Anyway, I only use it once a year!

ashtead

Visit site
Also in are some work lamps which for those who already have a few batteries for their angle grinder,hedge trimmer or such like are a useful addition at the price .

Bodach na mara

Visit site
I've used brass suction pump (works with water!), Pela (never tried with water but why not?), hand pump on an engine and the Lidl toy is the easiest, just switch on and go. .... and yes, I removed the fuse. Still have brass hand pump in case. Anyway, I only use it once a year!
I have also used all of these. The Pela is great and it does work for pumping water. I have used it for pumping water from inaccessible areas of the bilges. The rest are a pain in the 4rse. I have about 3 brass hand pumps, some of which were left in lockers of boats that I have bought. Without exception they all leak oil from the shaft 'gland' and that goes everywhere. The same for the engine mounted pumps which are usually awkward to use and hard work.

I hope to get one of the Lidl pumps on Thursday, mainly for use in putting the oil into the engine. The filler is right under the fuel tank with only about 8 inches of clearance and refilling with 4 litres of oil using the only jug that I can get in ( a 250 ml one, half-filled) takes an age. Anyway I saw in the specification that the maximum allowable temperature of the oil is 50 C, and I think that the actual temperature of the hot oil is more likely to be well above that.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I have also used all of these. The Pela is great and it does work for pumping water. I have used it for pumping water from inaccessible areas of the bilges. The rest are a pain in the 4rse. I have about 3 brass hand pumps, some of which were left in lockers of boats that I have bought. Without exception they all leak oil from the shaft 'gland' and that goes everywhere. The same for the engine mounted pumps which are usually awkward to use and hard work.

I hope to get one of the Lidl pumps on Thursday, mainly for use in putting the oil into the engine. The filler is right under the fuel tank with only about 8 inches of clearance and refilling with 4 litres of oil using the only jug that I can get in ( a 250 ml one, half-filled) takes an age. Anyway I saw in the specification that the maximum allowable temperature of the oil is 50 C, and I think that the actual temperature of the hot oil is more likely to be well above that.
My previous boat had Beta engine with a brass hand pump attached, for oil evacuation. It was only when I bought my present one that I had to buy a Pela, which I also used to remove seawater that used to accumulate in one particular inaccessible spot. (I have recently found and repaired the source of this).
The problem with this was that it caused the metal reinforcement in the tube to rust, resulting in leaks due to the outer cover being penetrated. I did manage to obtain a replacement tube, but did not subsequently use it for extracting seawater. I would recommend thorough flushing with fresh water after using it for seawater.