LIDL Multi-Grinder guarantee/legitimate claim?

Visit site
I was merrily drilling a hole in a piece of wood when the drill stuck & having extracted the drill the unit ceased to function.Upon taking off the battery there was a burning smell & a small electrical thingamee was detached & rattling around inside.It looks impossible to resolder on.

Now I was happily contemplating buying another one as soon as the opportunity presents itself but I recalled the three year guarantee claim & wondered if I would have a legitimate claim,what do'yer reckon?

Yngmar

Visit site
There should be a warranty card that came with the manuals. It'll have all the contact details on it, and you'll also need the receipt. It might take a few weeks, but they should replace it (nobody repairs things anymore).

Visit site
There should be a warranty card that came with the manuals. It'll have all the contact details on it, and you'll also need the receipt. It might take a few weeks, but they should replace it (nobody repairs things anymore).

Just found the instruction manual & there is advice in there about a claim under warranty.There's an email address so I'll drop them a line & see what they say,thanks.

rjp

Visit site
I recently made a warranty claim on a Multitool. Exemplary customer service. Was asked to return the unit without case and accessories to Germany via a prepaid label using their nominated courier. Pickup arranged at my convenience and all that their cost. Brand new boxed set delivered in less than a week, so I now have a spare case and accessories! The unit was 3 months short of 3 years old but no quibbles whatsoever from them. We'll impressed.

colind3782

Visit site
I bought a vacuum cleaner from Lidl which packed up quite quickly. When I brought it back to the shop, the manager insisted on a refund rather than a replacement as he admitted that the model was ****!

Visit site
I bought a vacuum cleaner from Lidl which packed up quite quickly. When I brought it back to the shop, the manager insisted on a refund rather than a replacement as he admitted that the model was ****!

Very surprised at that because I have had one that I have used extensively not sparing the horses if you know what I mean & I reckon it is a cracking product.Did have a bit detach itself but it has staggered on without the performance being effected.Bought another cheap at one of their knock-down prices just incase but so far a year further on it has not been used.
I reckon both the Lidl vacuum cleaner & the multi-tool are about the best & most useful buys I have ever made.

PS:I suppose we are talking about the 12v model here that has a cigarette lighter type plug on it are we?

skyflyer

Visit site
No you don't need the receipt, and you are not restricted to a 12 month return period or even to the guarantee period.

Under the Sales of Goods Act an item must be fit for the purpose for which it has been sold (which by the way, means the purpose you have declared you intend to use it for, if you explain to the seller before buying it. Ie if I say i want to buy a banana to hammer in nails and they happily sell it to me, I can demand a refund when it doesn't work)

What many people don't realise is that this 'fit for purpose' clause extends beyond the declared warranty period to the end of the resonable life" of the item.

Thus if you buy a washing machine with a 12 month warranty and it fails after 15 months you have a right to return it as not fit for purpose. However, after the initial warranty period you would be expected to accept a deduction in the amount refunded that is proportionate to the life of the item and the use you have had from it.

So in the example of the washing machine: if we accept that the working life is 6 years and it fails catastrophically after 2, then you could only expect 2/3rds refund of the original price.

Obviously there is a problem in agreeing what is a reasonable life expectancy, especially with electronics. There are some guidelines though on t'internet.

David2452

Visit site
No you don't need the receipt, and you are not restricted to a 12 month return period or even to the guarantee period.

Under the Sales of Goods Act an item must be fit for the purpose for which it has been sold (which by the way, means the purpose you have declared you intend to use it for, if you explain to the seller before buying it. Ie if I say i want to buy a banana to hammer in nails and they happily sell it to me, I can demand a refund when it doesn't work)

What many people don't realise is that this 'fit for purpose' clause extends beyond the declared warranty period to the end of the resonable life" of the item.

Thus if you buy a washing machine with a 12 month warranty and it fails after 15 months you have a right to return it as not fit for purpose. However, after the initial warranty period you would be expected to accept a deduction in the amount refunded that is proportionate to the life of the item and the use you have had from it.

So in the example of the washing machine: if we accept that the working life is 6 years and it fails catastrophically after 2, then you could only expect 2/3rds refund of the original price.

Obviously there is a problem in agreeing what is a reasonable life expectancy, especially with electronics. There are some guidelines though on t'internet.

Yes, but in that scenario you still need proof of who supplied it, i.e. a reciept. (you have no contract with the manufacturer) I appreciate there are other methods of proof of purchase but even a card statement or cancelled cheque only proves that you spent money there not what you bought, a proper reciept detailing the goods, or a dealer stamped warranty card is always best if you want an easy life.

Tranona

Visit site

While that is broadly the correct position in law, it is not necessarily easy to exercise what you see as your "rights". You still have to determine who your contract is with, that the failure was due to a manufacturing defect, or that the product was not fit for the purpose for which it was sold. It is not just a case of sending it back and expecting replacement or compensation as there is always the possibility that the other party can refuse the claim and give a reason.

For a low value item like the one in this case it may not be worth the hassle for the buyer, but equally the supplier (and manufacturer) may well decide it is not worth arguing as a replacement has a low cost to them. However, with a higher value item they may well choose to reject the claim and the cost for the buyer in pursuing the claim may well outweigh any benefit gained.