License

Viking23

Visit site
A bit bad that we can’t renew online. Especially if people are away. I guess most people will have little change to their details - so not rocket science to do. Bizarre that you have to phone up to give info. And you can’t do in advance either. Rant over!

Lower Limit 1909

Visit site
(1) Enabling online payment would be very simple and cheap to implement and save money spent processing thousands of phone calls. ROI < 12 months.
(2) It would make life easier for customers (License paying boaters).
Out here in the real world where we have to make our businesses survive by keeping costs low and keeping customers happy it is what is known as a 'no brainer'.

The fact that is isn't done seems completely consistent with everything I see about the way the EA manages the Thames.

Got mine today. In a 'large letter' size that costs a lot more to send than 'standard letter' but with contents that could easily have been sent 'standard letter' by folding it in half. A typical example of wasteful use of resources.

There were 14119 boats licenced by the EA last year. Using a commercial mailing house the difference between standard and large letter format would be around £0.32p

14119 x £0.32 = £4518

If any of my managers blew £4.5K in such a completely wasteful and avoidable way they would be out of the door immediately.

Online reminders and registration would save:

14119 x £0.82 (est. cost mailed large letter inc printing) = £14K approx.

14119 x human processed 6 minute calls labour cost say 14119 x £1.80 = £25K

Total £40k saving to do online.

Cost to set up online registration and payment. £10K ish max.

The maths above took 5 mins. If the actual number is half or double that it makes no difference to the argument. No doubt the EA would pay £10K in consultancy fees to get the same answer.

Big John

Visit site
A bit bad that we can’t renew online. Especially if people are away. I guess most people will have little change to their details - so not rocket science to do. Bizarre that you have to phone up to give info. And you can’t do in advance either. Rant over!

Received my renewal notice this morning and as in previous years the renewal can be done by sending an email to boatreg@environment-agency.gov.uk. What is difficult in that?

Did any one of you notice that on the reverse of the letter there is a declaration you have to confirm you have read the "Boat registration data privacy notice" to help you find this document the link is here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/river-thames-boat-registration-privacy-notice/river-thames-boat-registration-privacy-notice

and if you read the contents you will come across "We may pass on your personal data in certain limited circumstances if it is lawful to do so; for example if there is an incident on the waterways or where mooring fees are unpaid." So how does that work if you just e-mail the information back to register and not by posting the form back?

Seems a little draconian demanding your consent when they don't bother to give you the link to read the notice. What are they trying to hide from?

The other interesting point is the Gov.UK notice has just been issued 20 November 2019.

Last edited: