Letter from EA

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
I received a letter from the EA yesterday, in essence stating all the drivel about licence increases, again, but promising me that I was being sent a questionnaire and begging me to fill it in.

Anyone else got one of these? The tone implied "you have been selected to get" rather than "we've sent this to all licence holders". If not many are sent out I'll be very happy to put iup a link to it here and get a consensus set of replies.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
I got one, and I'm pretty sure it will have been sent to every licence holder.
As I read it the questionaire is something that we will (may?) see at some unspecified time in the future!

Note that they are stiio quoting the misleading info re average cost to average boatowner - I am trying to get more accurate info on the source of their information.

BG1

Visit site
I got my letter today. It would be nice if they made a (free)concession for tenders carried on the mother boat. I used mine less than half a dozen times this year but am still expected to buy a full licence. In three years time my combined licences will be nearly £700!

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I got my letter today. It would be nice if they made a (free)concession for tenders carried on the mother boat. I used mine less than half a dozen times this year but am still expected to buy a full licence. In three years time my combined licences will be nearly £700!

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically a licence isn't due on a tender until you drop it off the davits and into the water. Many boats never use their Tenders on the Thames they are just there for decoration so I wonder why they licence them.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Surely it is for that very reason you need a licence. Is it worth a fine if you get caught collecting the morning papers?

[/ QUOTE ]
You seriously expecting to see a Patrol boat before 9.30am?
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BG1

Visit site
Think more laterally, its also good fun to explore backwaters and clean the water line whilst moored.
It seems like everthing in life these days is all take, take. The EA could easily not charge for a tender if the main boat is licenced, think of the good customer relations such a gesture would promote.

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
sorry to be a party pooper but it seems to me that you are really whingeing poms

looking at your bois you are mostly not short of a few quid so why moan

try owning a horse I have for many years £ 450 per month full livery some times now at grass £ 250 pm and thats without shoes and swindlevets bills

personally I am fine with ea fees it is cheap in comparison

apollo

Visit site
You mean the £3k a year we pay for mooring which is the closest comparison, do you pay a TAX disc for your horse?

And for my car to travel the thousands of miles of road also maintained, the princely sum of £125.

Nah, the £480 I pay now and the £670 I will be paying for 200miles of River are definitely not good value.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
sorry to be a party pooper but it seems to me that you are really whingeing poms

try owning a horse I have for many years £ 450 per month full livery some times now at grass £ 250 pm and thats without shoes and swindlevets bills

personally I am fine with ea fees it is cheap in comparison

[/ QUOTE ]
You pay £250 p.m. for a horse at grass? Jeeze! they saw you coming. I don't rent pasture any more but if that's the going rate I had better reconsider. Better yet I can do a boat owning horse riding family a joint deal, moorings + grazing side by side. Farrier's bills, SHHHHH! you are lucky to get one.

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
[ QUOTE ]
[You pay £250 p.m. for a horse at grass? Jeeze! they saw you coming. I don't rent pasture any more but if that's the going rate I had better reconsider. Better yet I can do a boat owning horse riding family a joint deal, moorings + grazing side by side. Farrier's bills, SHHHHH! you are lucky to get one.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not just the grass we pay for care as well someone has to give him feed etc he is 24 yrs old no teeth and needs some care my point is we all have hobbies and we shouldnt moan about the cost

pheran

Visit site
I'd have thought the main point here is the increase in the (already substantial) costs and the detrimental effect most informed parties think this is likely to have not only on individual boaters but the Thames leisure environment as a whole.

pheran

Visit site
Ah yes. The cost of keeping a horse. Last time we had one, when the kids were small, we had sole use of a 3 acre field for the princely sum of £1.50 per week. A trip to the farriers cost £6 for a full set. Ah, those were the days................. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally specious argument.

Whether we are , or are not, short of a few bob, is irrelevant. The issue is whether or not we receive value for money.

(oh, and you won't endear us to your POV by referring to us as "whinging Poms" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

theguvnor

Visit site
200 miles ?

Not in my reach. Come November I`m stuck between 2 locks that are shut !

I`ve got about 2 miles of river for my licence fee

SimonA

Visit site
They seem to be sending the letters to everyone on EA Rivers. I'm on the Gt Ouse and just got my letter.

The points raised in this thread about tenders are good. Mine has been in the water once this year. Not exactly good value.

jcmmarine

Visit site
I was onced asked by a lock keeper if I had a licence for my tender. I told him that, should I ever find myself sinking in a wide part of the Thames, I would be sure to buy a licence before abandoning to the tender.