Letter from Culatra

emandvee44

Visit site
I have posted this in the Liveaboard link although I appreciate that it is of interest to a wider audience.

We visited Culatra a few days ago, by ferry with the intention of finding out for ourselves ( and for others) what developments are going on.
There were 22 yachts at anchor off the village, some remainers:rolleyes: from the Summer. ‘Kleen Breeze’ (20m Harry Proa design) is no longer there.
Coming off the ferry we saw a large number of square concrete slabs on the beach – perhaps a couple of hundred which appeared to be the same dimensions as those existing and forming the pathways through the village.
The old ‘bus shelter’ which was next to the ticket office has gone, well not exactly – the pieces of it are now in two skips.
The notice beside the pathway just before the church states that the improvement project will cost €1.23m.
The waterfront between the corrugated steel arms of the present ‘marina’ has been cleared of all the old nets and other rubbish.
Diggers were working in the area in front of the church, between the pathway and the harbour, installing cable conduits?
There was a (Spanish) landing craft delivering supplies / materials onto the beach between the harbour and ferry jetty.
We walked over to the lagoon immediately East of the village and noted that some of the fence posts across the entrance have been pulled out. Our local informant says that a bridge is to be built across the lagoon entrance.
The yachts and catamarans previously moored on and around ‘the bank’ just outside the lagoon have all moved further West, actually West of the ‘yellow buoy’ – yes it does exist as you can see.
The reason for the move is apparently because a new harbour is to be built immediately East of the existing, and some of the yachts were in the way.
There is some demolition of houses in the Hangares village -we actually saw that taking place.
DSCN7264.JPGDSCN7268.JPGDSCN7271.JPGDSCN7272.JPGDSCN7275.JPGDSCN7280.JPGDSCN7284.JPGDSCN7287.JPG

Michael.

Heckler

Visit site
I have posted this in the Liveaboard link although I appreciate that it is of interest to a wider audience.

We visited Culatra a few days ago, by ferry with the intention of finding out for ourselves ( and for others) what developments are going on.
There were 22 yachts at anchor off the village, some remainers:rolleyes: from the Summer. ‘Kleen Breeze’ (20m Harry Proa design) is no longer there.
Coming off the ferry we saw a large number of square concrete slabs on the beach – perhaps a couple of hundred which appeared to be the same dimensions as those existing and forming the pathways through the village.
The old ‘bus shelter’ which was next to the ticket office has gone, well not exactly – the pieces of it are now in two skips.
The notice beside the pathway just before the church states that the improvement project will cost €1.23m.
The waterfront between the corrugated steel arms of the present ‘marina’ has been cleared of all the old nets and other rubbish.
Diggers were working in the area in front of the church, between the pathway and the harbour, installing cable conduits?
There was a (Spanish) landing craft delivering supplies / materials onto the beach between the harbour and ferry jetty.
We walked over to the lagoon immediately East of the village and noted that some of the fence posts across the entrance have been pulled out. Our local informant says that a bridge is to be built across the lagoon entrance.
The yachts and catamarans previously moored on and around ‘the bank’ just outside the lagoon have all moved further West, actually West of the ‘yellow buoy’ – yes it does exist as you can see.
The reason for the move is apparently because a new harbour is to be built immediately East of the existing, and some of the yachts were in the way.
There is some demolition of houses in the Hangares village -we actually saw that taking place.
View attachment 74335View attachment 74336View attachment 74337View attachment 74338View attachment 74339View attachment 74340View attachment 74341View attachment 74342

Michael.

Excellent info. Just booked out on the 8th Jan. Cheap as chips at the mo, 12.99 out and 14.99 back!

greeny

Visit site
Great info, but i still can't see the infamous "yellow buoy". Maybe it's the colours on my computer. Which photo is it in please?

Ah, think I've got it now. the other side of the sand bar to the right of the blue hull?

Greeny

emandvee44

Visit site
Here is an update. Go to Docapesca S.A.- Facebook page and there are some pics. of developments, such as the new 'marina' pontoon and various earth(sand:rolleyes:)works. If you can read the narrative it is quite interesting.

I will be going over to the Island next month so will then post some more pictures and information.

Michael.

Visit site
Here is an update. Go to Docapesca S.A.- Facebook page and there are some pics. of developments, such as the new 'marina' pontoon and various earth(sand:rolleyes:)works. If you can read the narrative it is quite interesting.

I will be going over to the Island next month so will then post some more pictures and information.

Michael.

The new pontoon on Culatra is for fishermen.

emandvee44

Visit site
Helipad.jpgNew path&lights.jpgNew pathway(2).jpgNew pathway.jpgNew pontoon (2).jpgNew pontoon.jpgNew pontoon(3).jpgThese are some pics. from our visit of yesterday.
Picture 1 is just South of the sports club restaurant/bar - looks like it might be a helipad (for sure it's not going to be a car park:p)
Lots of new pathways and existing ones widened.
The new 'fishermen's' pontoon is not as yet connected to the shore.
Pleased to report that the bar prices are holding steady;)

Cheers,
Michael.