LEG3 tomorrow morn

sarabande

Visit site
I am feeling generous this morning, so I am giving you all three hours start :)

What's the general policy ? Head S below the rhumb line and catch the big westerlies ? I can't see that the long way round via a N route is going to work, though it's going to be a bit of flog down S.

Ah. We are not breaking any SOL rules by discussing this away fromthe site are we ? There was a bit of a kerfuffle about an Italian 'team' doing that last race.

Spyro

Visit site
:)
I am feeling generous this morning, so I am giving you all three hours start :)

What's the general policy ? Head S below the rhumb line and catch the big westerlies ? I can't see that the long way round via a N route is going to work, though it's going to be a bit of flog down S.

Ah. We are not breaking any SOL rules by discussing this away fromthe site are we ? There was a bit of a kerfuffle about an Italian 'team' doing that last race.

Shortest route is across Antartica but we're not allowed to do that.
:)

You do know the rhumb line is not the red line on the map?. Have you used the measuring tool from start line to finish line?

Last edited:

Martin_J

Visit site
... and after telling so many people on the SOL chat that they can set a DC for the start.. I just thought I'd wake up in time and not bother with a DC.... How wrong I was! Should practice what I preach!!

Yes - missed start by 5 mins (and about .6 miles)

Sounds like that ITA team were all sailing different boats but then all went exactly the same way.. at least we've all started very differently!

Good luck to all.. What's your ETA? Feb 21st or similar...

sarabande

Visit site
thanks, Spyro, I am pretty familiar with the conflict of mercatorial / othogonal projections and great circle sailing, but it has caught out one or two people.

I am experimenting with a dash 'S', and then catch the wind express.

On the last leg, I came all the way down past S America and across - only to hit Inaccessible Island by St Helena by about 50 yards onthe N side ! Memo to self. Avoid SLIs

Spyro

Visit site
thanks, Spyro, I am pretty familiar with the conflict of mercatorial / othogonal projections and great circle sailing, but it has caught out one or two people.

I am experimenting with a dash 'S', and then catch the wind express.

On the last leg, I came all the way down past S America and across - only to hit Inaccessible Island by St Helena by about 50 yards onthe N side ! Memo to self. Avoid SLIs

More familiar than me by the sound of it. :)