leaving the Med from Gibralter

saxonpirate

Visit site
Well I've done it a fair few times, about eight I think, and usually leave Algeciras Bay just before slack water if all's well, and always try to make the most of the Westerly set for the ride. This is not a hard and fast rule, I've punched the tide a few times to gain an hour or so, but usually if I'm single-handed I take it easy on myself and the boat, and use wind and tide to my advantage, weather permitting. Be aware though.. you don't want a fresh Westerly breeze springing up if you can avoid it. It happens, and on a couple of occasions I've turned back to Gib. If you carry on it makes for an exciting time off Tarifa.. :D

saxonpirate

Visit site
Saxonpirate, thanks for the advice. Looking at the tide tables low tide will be about 10.00 when I want to depart.
RPP
You're more than welcome.. if you can get yourself into the straights by slack water, and with no Westerly's you should have a smooth passage. Do keep an eye out for those high speed hydrofoils though while crossing Algerciras Bay.. they are on you very quickly and can be quite unnerving..
Enjoy your sailing.. I'm in wet and windy Cornwall at the moment.. (y)

capnsensible

Visit site
Hi All, what is the best time/ state of tide to leave Gibralter heading to Ayamonte in atlantic Spain. TIA
RPP
Best to be off Punta Canero around HW Gib +3.5 hours. Then you will get the most of the ebb against the standing current. Edit, stay close to Spain shore and watch out for very metal weather buoy east of Tarifa entrance.You will probably start to loose it around Trafalgar if you have made decent progress. Then you can take the very inshore route just off Trafalgar....100 to 150 metres. May need motor.

Re wind, if a westerly sets in, don't worry. Downwind end of Straits is always windiest. If you use engine with tide to punch past Tarifa, after a few miles the wind generally, but not always! drops a force or two.

I really enjoy the passage through the Straits, have made it dozens of times.

I like Ayamonte too, cracking little marina plus loadsa fab bars and restaurants across the River. Bit shallow if entering at low water.

Enjoy your trip!

capnsensible

Visit site
Welcome!

If you are taking the inshore route following the coast or orca avoidance, watch out for the tuna nets off Conil and as you get past Cadiz, about 11 billion unlit pot markers! The local fishing fleets often leave around dusk and they operate outside the pots. Can get a bit sporting. :)

lusitano

Visit site
Welcome!

If you are taking the inshore route following the coast or orca avoidance, watch out for the tuna nets off Conil and as you get past Cadiz, about 11 billion unlit pot markers! The local fishing fleets often leave around dusk and they operate outside the pots. Can get a bit sporting. :)
11 Billion ???? Don,t be ridiculous, there are lots more than that.