Leaving the Boat - Shore Power on or off

mark1882

Visit site
Hi
We are over wintering in Lagos in the Algarve and currently preparing the boat so we can leave her for 2/3 months whilst we head back to the UK for Christmas and New Year etc.

One issue I have not decided on yet is to whether or not I should leave the boat connected to shore power or not.

In terms of batteries we 4 x 115amph in the domestic bank 1 x 100amph engine start and all sealed wet cell plus 1 x 90amph for the bow thruster. The charger/inverter is a Victron 12v/1600w/70a.

We have a Ampair 100 wind generator and 2 x 80w solar panels controlled by an MPPT controller

Any advice as to what we should do would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

GrahamM376

Visit site
I would disconnect the shore power, tie the Amapair up in case of high winds and leave the solar to keep the batteries topped up. Our batteries survive fine on the mooring when left just on solar for 2 - 3 months.

Bobc

Visit site
I would disconnect the shore power, tie the Amapair up in case of high winds and leave the solar to keep the batteries topped up. Our batteries survive fine on the mooring when left just on solar for 2 - 3 months.

Yup. That's what I would do too.

Dockhead

Visit site
If you had no solar, this would be a hardish question. But since you have solar, a no-brainer. What the others said.

Shore power creates risk of stray current corrosion, and it can be accidentally unplugged, killing your batts if you leave any load on.

reeac

Visit site
I always just give my batteries a 24 hour charge in December and another in April. Present batteries lasted 10 seasons with no problems until a month ago but need replacing next Spring.

VicS

Visit site
Oh bu**er
Guess who left his on in Turkey 2 weeks ago.
Prob have no prop when I return in Spring.

Hopefully your boat is fitted with a galvanic isolator. ......... If not I would get someone to to unplug the shorepower sooner rather than later

2nd_apprentice

Visit site
Due to the uselessness of my Rutland 503 I had to think about this too. Chandler suggested leaving it plugged in - and indeed that's what most boats do around here it seems - but I'm not comfortable with that at all. Now fitting a 50W solar panel instead, should arrive tomorrow.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
I agree with the disconnect strategy in this thread but would add, for interest, that my Victron "Easyplus" (which I believe is what the OP's charger is) has been on for the past ten years (excepting when we are away from the berth cruising). No apparent detrimental effect in that time. We have to leave the Easyplus on to provide 240v to the ring main for the dehumidifier. I could supply an isolated circuit for this purpose but haven't troubled to do so. We do have a galvanic isolator.

RupertW

Visit site
We have a galvanic isolator, but not solar yet, but find that even with shorepower disconnected for 5 months the engine starts and domestic batteries are ok (12.5 volts last April).

However we are now in a much cooler moister environment (Kassandra, Greece) and found even after 6 weeks of Sept/Oct everything was a bit damp and some mould was starting to form on the headlining so are very tempted to go back for a long weekend with a dehumidifier and leave it plugged in all Winter. Done lots of research on them and know what will will get and how we will set it, but am still very put off by the idea of shorepower on for months unattended.