learning

bogart

Visit site
as some of you might know im only a learner, somedayday sailor, but recently at the boat show , i took the opportunity to take a trial sail, on a hanse 30, it heeled a lot , i must admit i was a bit scared, how easy would it have been for this boat to capsize, when the person in charge let this rope tied to the boom it did,nt heel so much, and what are lazy jacks,
ps i know i ask some stupid questions, be tolerant with me please,

G

Did you ask the skipper on the trial sail what was happening?

bogart

Visit site
thanks steve, but i want to sail , not go in a shiney motor boat, and it was my first time , i did ask you to be tolerant, im only learning, you all started somewhere, but thanks anyway,

rhinorhino

Visit site
Assuming this isn't a Steve101 style wind up :-
Any yacht will heel to what seems to a non-sailor to be an alarming degree when a strong brezze catchs it. I always warn novice crew about this and explain that with 5 tons of lead hung under the boat it really won't fall over.
The short answer to your question is then, that in smooth water it is almost impossible for a yacht to capsize, the worst that might happen is that the mast will be forced down to touch the water, what is called a "knock-down. Uncomfortable and scarey but not a capsize. It really needs waves (and big ones breaking ones too) to roll a yacht. Depending on the boat between 10-20 degrees of heel is the most you probably want on.
Too much heel (lean) is not a good thing, beyond a certian piont it just slows the boat down and makes deck work very difficult. Excessive heeling can be caused by too much sail for the wind and way you are facing relative to the wind or the wrong sail shape. Easing (letting out) the main-sheet (the rope tied to the end of the boom) will let the boat come upright in most situations, indeed if hit by a big gust, letting the main go is the best emergency response.
Lazy jacks are lines betwwen the boom and the mast which catch the main sail as it is lowered. This makes lowering the sail much easier and faster especially if you only have a small crew. They are not found if you have in-mast furling.
Hopes this helps.
Some people on this forum ( I am afraid to say) have recently got into a silly mood hence you may get replies that treat you as someone trying to make a fool of them. Till the contary is proved I will assume you are serious.

jimi

Visit site
Probably driven by a motorboater! Funny ain't it put a MB on a sailboat & they cram up all the washing get the leerail under etc.. put a raggie on a powerboat and they go like Mr Toad cutting up all the yachts seeing if they can get 'em to gybe etc ... or am I being unfair indulging in such generalisms .. I want a shot of a big beastie !

Jim

tcm

Visit site
Re: Not wrong

We do most boating in the med, and for larger boats, above 70 or feet, I understand that 75% of private/charter boats are actually motor/powerboats....usually helmed by raggie skippers. So of course they drive as fast as poss and cut up everyone. More generalisations!

bogart

Visit site
Re: learning rhinorhino

Thank you rhinorhino. i enjoyed reading your responce to my genuine querie, very well explained, obliged