Learning to sail?

dignity

Visit site
I have been a motor-boater for just about all my life, but I feel it's time for a change. I've always fancied a motor-sailer but I've got to be truthful I ain't got a clue about sailing i.e. (masts, sails, rigging).

How easy is it to learn, I am also slightly disabled so leaping around decks at great speed is out (or have I been watching too much TV)? Would this be a problem?

Obviously a lot has to do with the type of boat, I quite fancy something like the Macgregor trailer/power sailer, or the Odin. Would these be a practical boat for a beginner?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
As you've probably noticed motor-sailors vary from a motor boat with a stick to a sailing boat with a big engine. You pays your money and takes your choice. I've always liked the look of the MFV type - Fisher etc. - as they look like they can do both, without too much effort. In my opinion any sailing boat that can do her hull speed to windward in a F5 is a motor sailor, but that includes most new boats so I'm in a minority.

Modern sailing boats come with roller furling and reefing, even electric windlasses and winches so given the right amount of money you can tailor your boat to suit your need. Having said that I sail an old-fashioned boat with no roller reefing at all (and precious little working electrics) but I don't feel I need to go leaping about the decks to get anything done.

Why not put your name down for a few test sails at the Southampton boat show?

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
<In my opinion any sailing boat that can do her hull speed to windward in a F5 is a motor sailor>

What on earth do you mean???

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
Defining a motor sailor

Well, I said I thought I was in a minority. I always thought that a motor sailor was a boat that could motor as well as she could sail. That would include almost every modern grp sailing boat since the Centaur. The definition of an auxhillary sailing yacht would be a sailing boat that has an engine that can push her along when there's no wind. If I had a modern boat with a big engine I'd probably be less pedantic, and motor more often, but I don't, so I try to make a virtue out of a necessity.

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Motor Sailing is more a state of mind IMO. Some people will sit becalmed or tack back and forth for hours to make a mile or two, others (me) will turn the engine on and role up the genoa. So my boat is a Motor Sailer.

<hr width=100% size=1>
ladybug_zigzag_md_wht.gif

Reap

Visit site
I always thought a motor sailor was a boat that did neither well /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yacht-links.net>http://www.yacht-links.net</A>

kingfisher

Visit site
A motor sailor is in port on even days because of engine problems and on odd days because of rig problems.

But seriously, fellow boater has a Dart 30, and this thing actualy sails. He's a heart patient, so there's no deck leaping for him as well, and he manages just fine. But I've seen his sons, both avid sailors, take out his yacht, and I was glad he wasn't there (didn't know motor sailors could handle an angle of 30° over starboard :)

<hr width=100% size=1>Group of people on the pontoon: skipper is the one with the toolbox.
http://sirocco31.tripod.com

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
You'd probably be best with a Fisher or Colvic Watson type traditional motor sailer - they motor very well, are good sea boats and show a reasonable sailing performance in stronger winds (not so good in light airs).

Personally I would avoid the Macgregor - they look unstable, are definitely not a proper yacht and there have been reports of them falling over in a terminal manner . . .

- Nick

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bluemoment.com>http://www.bluemoment.com</A></font size=1>

G

There are plenty of more stable and better boats for someone not able to 'leap' around !!!! The Mcgregors etc. are a bit lively and have water ballast high up .... with also high topsides / windage.

For less money you could buy a Searider, Sunrider, Colvic, Pageant, Jag 25 etc. etc.

If you want a Motor Sailer with reasonable room - my Sunrider at 25ft and round-bilge design gives reasonable room and is heavy / stable and also fitted with big diesel ..... 32hp. NO I am not selling her ...... but she is typical of the type...... and expect to pay honest about 8000 to 10000 for a good one.

Odins, McG etc. are a bit lively, but good boats in their way.

Have you chatted to a Club or yard you will be staying in etc. ? I'm sure that a) you will find people more than willing to help you, b) crew to show you the 'ropes', c) examples of boats !!

In fact joining a club BEFORE getting the boat could be worthwhile and offer to crew for others and get to know what to do, what boats do etc. etc.

Plus of course the Weekend Course with a good Sailing School is not a bad idea ...... take the wife also - so both have a good understanding of basics.

Above all enjoy it ........

(If I was back in UK and you were close to me - I would be more than happy to show what I mean with mine ......)

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !

G

25ft + 32hp - it does something well !!!! nm

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !