Leaky plastic in compass housing?

Skipper11

Visit site
I purchased a Plastimo Hand bearing compass new back in about 1990 and continued to use it without issue until about 2012, after which the sailboat was laid up and kept under cover.
Very recently I decided to clean her out and, on finding the compass still in its vertical holding bracket, discovered it had leaked a considerable amount of the "oil" contained within the instrument
On advice from an instrument technician, I topped it up through the filler port (screw in plug) with baby oil until there was no air space remaining and thought that might be fixed
However, it now is showing signs that the oil in actually leaking "through the plastic body" (like it is porous) with miniscule, tiny dots of oil appearing on the outer surface of the compass clear plastic body edges
This is just above the side joint, so not actually the joint leaking, which appears to be a glued joint at time of original assembly - and I have never touched the oil fill until now
"Is this even possible!"
I have used a magnifying glass to examine after wiping the surface clean and leaving a few hours, it can be seen to be covered in these tiny droplets again, and is "oily" to the touch
Has anyone else had such an experience? Or am I just going mad in my old age?