Leaking injector sleeve / good old Volvo 2003

BarryT

Visit site
Problem – lots of exhaust blowing back up between 1 injector and the copper sleeve it sits in inside the cylinder head.. Having taken the injector out and found no obvious further problems, I’m now advised that the sleeves do wear and have to be replaced. So head has to come off, and sleeve professionally replaced.

Any ideas for cheap alternatives as before starting the work I can already see the costs mounting up.
• Might as well do all 3 sleeves
• Get the injectors serviced whilst out.
• Check valves etc & regrind if needed (bound to be) whilst head is off
• New gaskets
• Labour cost
• All on an old engine, so ought to check the gearbox spline whilst the engine is out of action
And before I know it, that’s over a grand. Now given previous comments on Volvo 2003 series if I’m spending that money just to maintain the engine's current condition I ought to consider a whole new engine ? And all because 50p of copper tube needs replacing.

As far as I can see, the seal relies on a tight fit of the injector in the sleeve and it resting on the base of the sleeve around a central hole the injector pokes through, so what’s wrong with just putting in a little gasket sealant ?

Any suggestions please

Barry

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
I do believe I would consider a soft or annealed thin copper washer under the injector first. If it works, it should last quite a few more hours and considerably cheaper. Lots of older engines had copper washers under the injectors. Try it, the cost is tiny, it's also an easy job.

<hr width=100% size=1>

burgundyben

Visit site
CCS is right, 2000 series volvo's have a sof copper washer under the injector, has a habit of staying in the hole when you pull the injector out (which may need a gentle tug with a slide hammer)

the westerly charter boats I worked on did about 600 hours a year and once a year the vale seats needed to be re-cut so if your engine is above say 500 hrs and its not been done then worth while, but as you say, if its gonna cost a grand buy a new engine if your keeping the boat etc

<hr width=100% size=1>Sod the Healey - I think I'll buy an E-Type.

colvic

Visit site
The BMC Thornycroft diesels had a copper washer for the injector to sit on. Only a few pence from AMC Diesel...but then its not a VOLVO. As for having to reseat the injectors every 500 hours well I've never had to in the older engine.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

Juggler7823

Visit site
No! The 200x series does not normally have a copper washer. Checked this several times in the past.
On a previous 2002, leaking fuel and exhaust from the injector sleeve was cured by a judicous tap with a hammer on the top of the injector. Protect the threads on the injector. This is probably worthwhile to try, just before removing the head.

Grinding or reseating the valves, particularly the exhaust valves has a dramatic effect on improved starting.

<hr width=100% size=1>LOM

G

havent doe a 2003 yet but most of the engines i have done either have a copper washer on the injector or you can get a hand cutter that fits in the tube and cuts a new seat in the copper tube, it only shaves a few thou off.
ask a good diesel man to have a look,
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>

BarryT

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

As various of you have said, there is indeed no copper washer. I assume the lip on the bottom of the sleeve performs the same function. If I shave this, I will need to remove the head anyway to stop anything going into the engine.

Presumably the head casing stops the sleeve falling into the cylinder if I hit it with a hammer ?

Being ignorant on these things, what I dont understand is why copper washers or the 2003 set up have to be used to seat the injector. What is wrong with a little gasket sealant or is the compression pressure too great ?

Barry

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Pressure and temp too high. But my suggestion still stands, I know there is no washer, as the sleeve is the washer, but you could always add a new one. A wallop with a hammer to reseat the injector, would be a good idea anyway. Use a copper hammer or "dead blow" hammer, then the shock doesn't bounce, it's an old trick, but not known/used much these days.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
Head off?

I've got a 2003, and I'm not convinced you'd need to have the head off to replace the copper sleeve. There's a Volvo Penta special tool which is used to remove the copper sleeve, I believe. Not everyone will have this tool. Are you being advised by a VP dealer?

If your injectors haven't been serviced for, say, 500 hours it might be worth having them done.

But first, I'd try the suggestion of the gentle blow with a hammer, and maybe a smear of sealant.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Heckler

Visit site
we used to put a blob of grease on the cutter to catch the shavings and did hundreds of them with no probs, havent read the manual but i bet that is what you are supposed to do and that vp have a horribly expensive tool for doing the job.
have put a vp parts manual on the www.beneteau-owners-association.org.uk front page, it is in pdf format and needs adobe to read it and will take up to 10 mins to download, but there is an exploded diag of the head in it with all the bits including the sleeve so you can see how it goes together. there is a washer there with a funny name but the swedes
stuas explained to me by an expert) do not always use a logical name for it.
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
I think your problem may be more serious than you think. The usual symptom for wear on the copper sleeves is diesel leaking up past the injectors. If, as you say, you have exhaust blowing up there it sounds quite serious. You also have to remeber that the copper sleeve is all that seperates your injector from the cooling water, so if the sleeve gives way you have a real problem. As for putting a washer on top of the seal in my view that would be quite likely to make your problem worse, since the exhast will still be leaking into an area where it should not be.
I would add that once a gas starts leaking up a small groove, the rate at which it scours out the groove is not linear but expondential, in laymans terms it does not get steadily worse at the same rate but the rate of wear increases dramatically.

I am not a Volvo dealer, but I used to have a boat with a Volvo 2003, and I had fuel leaking past the injector sleeves. I took the head off and took it to the local Volvo man who fitted new sleeves, seviced the injectors, lapped the valves in and I replaced all the fuel pipes. Cost me £420 for that plus about £20 for a torque spanner. I wished afterwards that I had had the fuel pum[p refurbished whilst I was at it but had that done a bit later by the local Lucas lorry agents.

I then had an engine I could rely on to start and work effectively. If you are flush you can often buy a fully overhauled engine for about £2500 but I believe for the amount of work the engine do, if you have kept the oil changes up to date, there is unlikely to be anything wrong with the bearings so why take the engine out. As to the gearbox I often found that a bit problematic but could never get to the bottom of the problem.

My strong advice would be that if you sail in an area where the engine is important for safety do not cut corners.

Good sailing

<hr width=100% size=1>Chris Stannard

scottie

Visit site
if all else fails you could use the tool 885289 that volvo suggest you use to clean the injector sleeve

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

good old scottie

i only guessed there would be a tool and you have confirmed my thoughts. all the bollocks about leaking exhausts is just that, it isnt exhaust it is combustion chamber products!! it is exhaust once it passes the exhaust valve. the copper tube/seat will sit on the head between the injector and the cylinder head and will be firmly held in place by the injector (see the volvo spare parts manual i have posted on the www.benteau-owners-association.org.uk site, in pdf format, takes about 5 - 10 mins to download) if you use that tool to cut a new seat all will be well.
it can be done in situ by smearing greae on the tool which will collect the minute shavings.
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: good old scottie

A little copper that could fall in the combustion chamber probably wouldnt do any harm anyway! (melt away and be vapourised by combustion temperatures)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Xtrovert

Visit site
After years of starting problems wiyh my 2003 I had the sleeves replaced by a Volvo dealer last year. It cost £100 + £45 to have the valves reground. The injectors were also knackered but thats another story. It now starts and runs like a dream. I removed and replaced the head myself. The engine is now14 years old and will have to do a lot more years yet! Stop messing about with washers, I tried that and it didn't work. Do a proper job and get out sailing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BarryT

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions, and the parts manual link, I am much happier starting this job now, either with a recutting of the seat in situ, or if it is not totally successful, by removing the head and replacing the sleeves as a worthwhile investment. I'll let you know how I get on.

Barry

<hr width=100% size=1>