Lazarette Locker Hinges

stevd

Visit site
Sorry for the boring post. I have been searching for suitable replacements for my lazarette locker hinges, but I can only find what I am after in America. They are a simple 3x2 inch butt hinge, with the 3 screw holes on each leaf all in a perfect straight line. Obviously looking for something that can handle the marine environment - which is where my search is struggling. I would prefer a simple direct replacement rather that having to mess around trying to make a different style of hinge work.

Any ideas where I might be able to source replacements?

Boathook

Visit site
Sorry for the boring post. I have been searching for suitable replacements for my lazarette locker hinges, but I can only find what I am after in America. They are a simple 3x2 inch butt hinge, with the 3 screw holes on each leaf all in a perfect straight line. Obviously looking for something that can handle the marine environment - which is where my search is struggling. I would prefer a simple direct replacement rather that having to mess around trying to make a different style of hinge work.

Another for a picture.

ashtead

Visit site
Have you considered adding as make boat in post as that might elicit more interest? Also ask on owners website perhaps? If you have tried that have you thought of marine refurbishers ie those who provide materials to cover cushions etc . They might stock hinges or know who would.

Daverw

Visit site
Getting someone to make stainless steel butt hinges as you need would be easy, it’s only two bits of plate with hinge tube welded and pinned.

stevd

Visit site
This would be the closest I can find in terms of look. This was taken from a website which supplies internal door hinges.

It is for a moody 33s lazarette locker, but it really is just a bog standard style butt hinge, but looking for something that is suitable for marine use that wont corrode and leave stains all over the gelcoat.

Attachments

• butt hinge.jpg
    butt hinge.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 9

stevd

Visit site
I genuinely thought it was going to be simple to source such a hinge. The 316 grade 3x2 inch hinges I can find online dont have the screw holes in a straight line......nothing is ever easy :)

It doesn't have to be 316 though I am open to alternatives

Daverw

Visit site
Buy the hinges with the wrong screw holes, get them welded up and polish back, then drill them as needed, would take a good welder 15 min each and you polishing about 1 hour with wet and dry, polish compound and elbow grease

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Close. I'd ask them.
Excel Hardware 3 Inch Stainless Steel Ball Bearing Hinges, Satin Stainless Steel - 834 (sold in pairs) from Door Handle Company
833-SSSa1.jpg

Ammonite

Visit site

penfold

Visit site
What is wrong with the existing hinges? Exploring whether they can be refurbished is sensible if facsimiles cannot easily be found.

Stemar

Visit site
Your difficulty is probably going to be finding hinges that match your screw holes, as screws for wood tend not to have them aligned so as not to spit the wood. However, it wouldn't be too hard to fill the hole(s) in the boat that don't match with a bit of thickened epoxy and redrill. Might be easier, and certainly quicker than waiting for a container to arrive from China.

Plum

Visit site

Go to https://metalhardware.co.uk/butt-hinge-mhpb079-61 and search for product code JSPB08 which has 2 holes each side so you can drill your own centre hole in line.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

zoidberg

Visit site
I spoke with ASAP Supplies today, on a near-identical task. The young lady who replied was most helpful, understood my garbled explanation of need, and offered a most suitable solution from stock 'just like that'.

I was mucho impressed.... and bought some.