Layup in the Baltic

MikeH99

Visit site
Ladies and gentleman of the panel.
We have entered into the Baltic ARC which starts in Kiel in July and goes anticlockwise round the Baltic taking in Estonia, St Petersburg, Helsinki Marienhamm, Stockholm and ending in Mon Denmark, which is just south of Copenhagen.
We are then looking for a marina to lay up in probably until summer 2015. As ever price is an issue but we are both still in full time work so time is even more of an issue (I have pulled in major favours to get the unpaid leave to do the trip). We therefore need a pretty much full service marina who are able to look after the boat through the Baltic winter.
Stralsund in Germany has been mentioned as an option and Germany seems to be cheaper than Denmark. Any suggestions most welcome.
Boat is a Jeanneau DS 50 and summer 2015 the outline plan is to do west coast of Sweden and then perhaps get the boat delivered to east coast Scotland.

johnalison

Visit site
Look at Kissen's website. He has almost everything you need to know. I haven't laid up there myself but there are loads of German places advertising winterlager. A popular one is near Burgtief on Fehmann island and I have heard good reports of there, but are plenty if you ask in good time.

slowsailor

Visit site
We have our boat in Marina Boltenhagen. Bay of Wismar. Save and they take care. They have excellent craddles. Either outside or in the heated hall.
Not cheap though. Weilandt or Schröder on the island of Fehmarn are an alternative. Have fun on your sailing in the baltic.

han34

Portsmouth, northern France in the summer
Visit site
Stralsund is a very popular sailing area, with several marinas nearby and on Rugen, its a bit like the Solent with lots of charter boats and boat services. Not that easy to get to from the UK. Fly to Berlin or Hamburg and get the train or car hire. Kiel may be an option, another very popular sailing area with several marinas and thousands is sailing boats, more popular at weekends than the Solent!!

johnalison

Visit site
Stralsund is a great place but nearby Barth would be my preference for laying up. It's a lovely little town with an active sailing club and a large marina.

jofb

Visit site
[We have entered into the Baltic ARC which starts in Kiel in July and goes anticlockwise round the Baltic taking in Estonia, St Petersburg, Helsinki Marienhamm, Stockholm and ending in Mon Denmark, which is just south of Copenhagen.]

Bit of a drift in subject, but we hope to do this next year so will be very interested to hear how it goes for you and hope you will use the forum to keep us posted - or maybe you will have a blog we can follow?

johnalison

Visit site
The CA has an active Baltic Section. Worth joining for informed, sensible opinions from people that you can have direct contact with. usually they will be known to you by name and not be hidden behind a pseudonym. Cruising reports and other information will normally have been reviewed.
I don't think Kissen's is a pseudonym, it's just the name of Ivan's boat. I've known him for many years and his site is normally reliable, though he has been very busy in recent years and I don't know if it has been updated lately.

MikeH99

Visit site
Thanks all for the responses.
Frank, have applied to join the CA and am just waiting for all my login details.
Slow sailor, Johnalison and Han, thanks for the suggestions, will look into those suggestions. Han, take your point about access from the UK but probably not too much of an issue as we'll only be able to get there once for a week before sailing off. Work is the curse of the sailing classes.
All, would my assumption that a full service marina would be significantly cheaper in Germany than in Denmark be correct? My experience of Denmark is that everything is expensive.
Jof, not sure we'll get round to a blog but we'll try and post a bit on here. So far our experience on the B ARC has been very positive. I know there are some on these forums who feel rallies are not for them but it gave us a target date and a degree of commitment. In some ways BARC makes more sense than the ARC - lots of berthing arranged in advance - less of a problem in Mid Atlantic . Plenty of social events, tours and parties. Documentation and visa support has been excellent. Yes, I could do it all myself but the time saved is significant by having the support of WCC. I have also found that it is much easier to get friends to commit against a clear programme than just me going on a sailing holiday. I know I'm sounding like a salesman but no connection,honestly! One word of warning, it filled up very quickly this year and with every yachting mag seemingly full of "I went to the Baltic" stories so I can only imagine it will be more popular next year. Perhaps if the demand is there they will do 2 fleets, one a week after the other. I believe 30 boats is very much the limit for some places in the Baltic so it's never going to be like the ARC. So Jof, go for it and take Windhover back to her spiritual home!

micha571

www.teamswashbuckler.com
A friend who races with me has a marina in Greifswald, that's about 20miles south of Stralsund. I live there and have my boat laid up there during winter, too. It's a good place with full service. If you're interested, shoot me a pm and I can give you further info or get you in contact directly.

han34

Portsmouth, northern France in the summer
Visit site
Greifswald would be worth considering, I have been there once, very sheltered and good facilities. I have been to about six marinas in Denmark, all but one were very reasonably priced compared with the south coast of England. The more expensive one was a private island, west of Mon, can't remember the name.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Thanks all for the responses.
Frank, have applied to join the CA and am just waiting for all my login details.
Welcome aboard! An early thing to do is look up the Baltic Section Newsletter. It reports on the Baltic Seminar held on 15th Feb, one of our big regional seminars. Chart swaps, discounts, cruising guides for each country, a layup directory, lots more. Most of it downloadable. Ideal for someone who is short of time to research and plan.