Laptops on boats

Robin2

Visit site
Well, could one buy two identical cheap laptops for less than the price of a chart plotter with a similar sized screen?

If so you could have them running in parallel. It is far less likely that both will crash at the same time - provided they are not side by side and get doused by the same wave.

Laptops are much more functional than chart plotters.

And, presumably, chart plotters have technical weaknesses also?

jimboaw

Visit site
I have been useing "The Captain" software for the past 5 years. Now on my second cheap laptop. The only advice I can offer is to get the cheapest one with a TFT screen.

charles_reed

Visit site
relative costs

Not if you know what you're doing.

The chartplotter and all the instruments (wind, log and depth) came to £832. All are the now obsolescent Navico Corus range.
I added a Garmin 35 at £46 to feed the chartplotter through the NMEA. This is additional to the 65 I've had for 8 years. (The 35 is usually supplied to OEM manufacturers, so you won't find it in the shops).

The last laptop I bought has a Pentium 3 Speedstep 650/950 MHz, 12Gb HDD, CD/RW as well as a normal CD and FDD, plus a spare battery which gives it 12 hours working and cost me £922.

I'd still not rely upon a laptop - I used to make my living in applied IT - and my OS of choice would be Linux - tho' one has to use a Windows OS for many programmes, I'd stick with NT or its derivative 2000 Professional. XP is so bug-ridden that I'd not touch it for another 18 months.

Both systems were brand new and include VAT.

falcon5

Visit site
Tablet pc is better

Hi, look at tablet PC's, like a laptop but the screen is touch driven and you don't have to have a keyboard getting wet, I use an RM manufactured one from Adris LTD in Southampton, it is seriously better for on board use than a laptop,
you can also use it through a plastic cover!!!!

Opinionated

Visit site
Re: Tablet pc is better

I am an IT manager. We dump our old computing equipment - as well as PC's we replace comms equipment as new performance comes available - we hit hard drives with a hammer to avoid any secure info getting out, but we are not some super secret organisation, so don't worry if we get it wrong.

I have a Toshiba (surprised at how many others use Toshiba here) but I only use it for passage planning and for looking at my track by download after a journey. I use conventional nav, based on paper charts - as my Tosh is not built into the boat's fabric and is too fragile for real work where it could get severely banged. If I wanted to use it in real-time (oh, yes, it does that, but I don't) then I would want to get it solidly, and waterproof-ly, built in - but I don't want to do that anyway.

(For reference, my Tosh has OziExplorer, Neptune Passage Planning, Autotide and Navpac).

(I don't have to agree with YOUR opinions, but I'll defend your right to express them).

Badger

Visit site
The Ultimate bit of kit

Try these guys, super military spec toughbooks with non slip rubber feet, waterproof keyboards etc. They also do nice tablet Pc's for boats.

TerraLogic Ltd.
Ocean House, 20 Harrowby Street, Cardiff Bay, CF10 5GA
UNITED KINGDOM

Tel: +44 (0)8707 415533
Fax: +44 (0)8707 415534

www.terralogic.com

email: sales@terralogic.co.uk

BrendanS

Visit site
Thomas,

this not aimed at you, but at thread in general, so I can answer several questions in one.

I've worked in the software industry for 15 years, and still do.

Not all companies destroy hard drives nor computers, many don't really care, and don't have a policy on it. Most that I know of don't donate the really old machines as the recipients only want reasonably up to date machines.

Yes, most are sold to staff, but these are the staff who rely on this process to replace the last one they bought, and then bin the previous one. If you get connected, you can get hold of the 5 year old machines for peanuts.

There are still many companies who sell off old computers, and the older ones have few takers unless the price is very low.

Even with more modern models, bargains are still to be had. This time last year I bought several Sony Vaio laptops, stunning looking current models that people who have to live with brick like IBM Thinkpads would kill for, less than a year old, which were retailing new for thousands, for under 200 each. Great xmas presents for close family who were delighted with them.

I understand that many IT professionals here work for companies who destroy machines, but there are many many more companies who are happy to release old 'spares' which are past their sell by date rather than dump them.

I can't supply to people here, as I have friends who will take off my hands anything I get my hands on, understanding that there are no warranties.

I should be more proactive though, as I recently dumped a whole lot of even older stuff that would be quite suitable for web surfing for instance, including Mac Powerbooks, as there were no immediate takers.