Laptop power problem

JonoSlatter

Visit site
I am using Meridian software with ARCS charts on my Sony Vaio.

Problem I am having is that the Vaio battery is very poor - so have tried using the 12v supply. Basically I have been using a converter that runs from the cigarette lighter (it was one I bought for airtravel use) Trouble is that it makes the Sony Vaio go crazy - screen just blinks and the mouse goes off around the screen on it's own...

Anyone suggest a way to get this working?

Thanks,

Jono
Bath UK
Beneteau 285 Poole

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
airtravel will provide a 12v source. Your 12v onboard is a tad variable (going as high as 14.4v). You can get a 12v supply that runs from your boats power, and provides a smoothed 12v regardless of the battery voltage - frequently available on ebay, and also in maplins IIRC.
This problem of power, is why I prefer to use a plotter for hour-hour navigation cause it is designed for this voltage fluctation. keep the laptop for passage planning, then it is less likely to get damaged.

<hr width=100% size=1>

steve28

www.falmouthgypsy.com
It will also help to remove the battery from thr laptop and run it just from the boats supply, make sure its from the domestic batterys though or the laptop will reboot when you start the engine !
I agree with the above but will add that pcworld sell them too

steve

<hr width=100% size=1>

JonoSlatter

Visit site
Thanks for that - Just noticed that the AC supply transformer has a 19.5V output... So would the only way to run it be through an inverter?

Thanks,

Jono

<hr width=100% size=1>

Neraida

www.neraida.org.uk
Hi Jono,

Go have a look <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.eurobatteries.com/sitepages/power-adaptors-dc-dc.asp>here</A> and look at the "ad.LT20-3500-DC+Airline". it claims...

Input 12 volts DC
Switched output
15v, 16v, 18v, 19v, 20v
at 3.5 Amps
22v, 24v at 2.9 Amps
Stabilised output - low ripple
- low interference
Short circuit and overload protection.

19V or 20V should be fine for the Vaio.

My father uses one, and by all accounts its v good. Mine has just been ordered! (I have a 19.5v Vaio too)

Cheers

James

<hr width=100% size=1>

JonoSlatter

Visit site
I think the one I had was a Targa one.

Soke to the ony shop they were suggesting getting an inverter - but I guess your device is doing the same kind of thing to lift the voltage up to 19.5?

Jono

<hr width=100% size=1>

kesey

Visit site
Dell recommend and sell a DC to DC transformer for their laptops. The manufacturer is LLPower.

They have a built in cigarette lighter type connection. Mine has worked flawlwessly for a number of years.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://homepage.eircom.net/~ajpower>http://homepage.eircom.net/~ajpower</A>

wiggy

Visit site
MAplin do a 12v dc to various dc ouputs with different adaptorsas long as centre pin on back of laptop in + (check plate on rear. I have used one of thes and for £20 or so they are great but bear in mind that at say max 90W they drink a good few amps.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
Inverter will use a lot more power than a 12v to 19v transformer. If you are planning to use this as your main nav station, then available power may well become an issue.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Nick_Pam

Visit site
I use a DC-DC convertor with my IBM Thinkpad and it is fine, unless madam goes crazy with the electric winches, which are of course powered from the house supply......laptop decides its battery is flat and hibernates!!!
Have to go to the chart table and acknowledge the "needs recharging" message on the screen every now and again to keep it happy - I only use it as backup to my radar/plotter though, so it's not the end of the world!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>Byeee...Gone Sailing!!!!
6b796780.gif

moodycruiser

www.pctony.co.uk
Try www.laptopshop.co.uk and go to car adapters - they have a universal one in either 70 watt or 90 watt versions which handles multiple voltage outputs required by different laptops. I'm using one right now with USB wireless LAN and USB optical mouse and have no power problems at all.
No vested interest in the above company except as satisfied user.

<hr width=100% size=1>Tony

Beagle

Visit site
Alternative solution

Blew up my own DC-DC converter, so looking for a solution as well. Has anybody ever tried a full DC-AC converter? Some say that the modified sinus wave could damage you laptop in the long run, others say no problem (all sales persons!).

Advantage is to have a general 220V plug (ie for charging cell phone), but I think the disadvantage is that perhaps it is not the most efficient way.

Any comments welcome!

<hr width=100% size=1>Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get

pragmatist

Visit site
That must give it a Surprise ! Well she'll just have to winch by hand - feed her some raw steak !

<hr width=100% size=1>a pragmatist is an optimist with a boat in the UK

Nautipete

Visit site
Hi, I also use a Sony Vaio on board, mine uses a 19.5V DC adaptor, therefore you need an inverter to run from the ship's supply ... available Maplin, multi voltage inverter, make sure you select the correct o/p voltage, (covered the select switch with tape to stop accidents!). The inverter is about the size of a cig. packet, costs, as I recall around £29. I run the Sony continuously with SeaPro, docking station etc and have no problems. (Vaio PCG-600HMPG).

<hr width=100% size=1>

MainlySteam

Visit site
Re: Alternative solution

I have run desktop and notebook PC's on a quasi sinusiodal invertor for years and never had a problem I could attribute to that. The efficiency argument is a bit of a myth cause my laptop when charged or the battery is out only draws a couple of amps even when writing continuously to hard drive and display going, and the supply efficiency difference between using an invertor or a DC voltage convertor may be 200mA at most.

The cheap DC-DC buck convertors I have never had a problem with - the only one I have checked for voltage stability is the one I use on the boat (a Vanson one) and it is rock steady in its output when the boat side voltage is anywhere between towards discharged up to over 14 volts during the bulk charge step of the service batteries.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Beagle

Visit site
Re: Alternative solution

That's useful information John!

Just checked the Maplin site and discovered that their converters are more robust compaired to the in Holland commonly available ones. My old converter (2,5A max) was good enough for an old Compaq Presario, but with my new Acer I might need the 80W Maplin's version.

Unfortunately, no Maplin in Holland! Hence my question regarding the DC-AC alternative.

<hr width=100% size=1>Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get

steve28

www.falmouthgypsy.com
As others have said if you get an adapter get one that is dc to dc and not an ac invertor to plug the existing laptop supply into.
Unless of course you have other things on the boat you want to supply in which case argos do the coke can sized ones that are about 39.99 and provide up to 140watts of power. this will take an average of 2 amps from you batteries when running. i know this as i just checked a sony vaio pgc737 on an argos invertor.
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...0001&langId=-1&catalogId=1751&productId=90420

thats the link, you may get it cheaper when they have a sale on electrical goods.

steve

<hr width=100% size=1>