Knife ban

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Exactly. True ex-pats are what is called in law "posted workers" - those sent abroad to work and date sfrom days of Empire when people from the UK were sent to manage government or a company's affairs in a foreign country

Some Ex Pats like me were employed for their expertise that were/are locally

Knives are not the only dangerous equipment in my toolbox.

A hammer, a wood chisel or a heavy spanner can also do serious damage to a person if hit with the tool

Bouba

Visit site
Some Ex Pats like me were employed for their expertise that were/are not available locally

Forgot the highlighted words that should make it clearer
I’m sorry to disagree…. I’ve been to many remote regions of the world…and bodging is what they do best

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I’m sorry to disagree…. I’ve been to many remote regions of the world…and bodging is what they do best

Exactly why my Ex pat employer came to the Uk to employ the expertise the needed to do the project properly

This local bodging frustrates me but doing the job correctly is precisely I made lots of money using my design and computer knowledge so now retired with a comfortable income

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Bodging has it's place when there are no alternatives but in the developed world it's the refuge of the incompetent.
Of course, bodgers were originally highly skilled, green wood turners. They lived, during the bodging season, in well constructed temporary huts called "hovels".

Interesting how the meaning of words change.

Birdseye

Visit site
Recently I discovered BlackBeltBarrister on Youtube, and he has a series of videos about what is and isn't legal under UK knife law:
BlackBeltBarrister on UK knife law

He's very clear and knows - or ought to know - what he's talking about.
Dont agree. For example he says that a machete is only made to cause harm to another person. It was and still is in many areas a simple tool for cutting trails through undergrowth.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Dont agree. For example he says that a machete is only made to cause harm to another person. It was and still is in many areas a simple tool for cutting trails through undergrowth.
Yes, a machete doesn't fall into the new "banned" category - a gardener carrying one for brush clearance work or opening up a path would be fine.

The Q

Visit site
Yes, a machete doesn't fall into the new "banned" category - a gardener carrying one for brush clearance work or opening up a path would be fine.

Yep, though I have a billhook for clearing the jungle in my garden good for chopping the ivy growing up trees too.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Another problem is that the Police have no real clue about Laws, perhaps not utterly surprising as their function is Order not Law but still annoying. My son was told not to film an arrest, but when a photographer he used to carry print out of law restriction on what he can photograph - which is basically everything that can be seen from public spaces except when specifically prohibited (ie MOD) - so anyone can film the police even if they dont like it while arresting some miscreant or innocent.

No one bothers me carry billhooks to community orchard and I dont wave it around, but if I was young and black it might be otherwise

Last edited:

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Yep, though I have a billhook for clearing the jungle in my garden good for chopping the ivy growing up trees too.
Yes, having done a lot of hedging back in the day, a good billhook is a pleasure.

For some reason, my wife gets billhook & boathook mixed up!