Kick the tires - East coast boat for sale.

mjcp

Visit site
Morning all,

There's a boat I'm interested in on the East coast (Ipswich, its ashore, details to follow).

Its verging on "project" status, rather then going concern, so I'm looking for someone to go an "kick the tires" / take some photos / video etc before the full cost of a survey... happy to send beer tokens for your trouble.

Ideally you'll have some experience with 30-40 year old plastic sailing boats 25-40 foot range: osmosis, spongy decks, faded gelcoats, knackered winches etc...

Any interests / takers?

Cheers,
Marc

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Morning all,

There's a boat I'm interested in on the East coast (Ipswich, its ashore, details to follow).

Its verging on "project" status, rather then going concern, so I'm looking for someone to go an "kick the tires" / take some photos / video etc before the full cost of a survey... happy to send beer tokens for your trouble.

Ideally you'll have some experience with 30-40 year old plastic sailing boats 25-40 foot range: osmosis, spongy decks, faded gelcoats, knackered winches etc...

Any interests / takers?

Cheers,
Marc
I am based in Ipswich and wouldn't mind taking a look and some pictures, but checking for osmosis, spongy decks etc seems bit beyond tyre kicking.

mjcp

Visit site
Thanks Paul,

Its more trying to determine if the hull is effectively bubble wrapped / covered in bubbles etc or just a few isolated areas.

As for the decks - do they noticeably flex when stood on / is that uniform or located in certain areas etc? i.e. trying to work out if the decks / their support are shot...

End goal is "Is this worth pursuing?", If I spend £10k on renovations / remediation, will it still need another £10k because the 1st lump was sunk in major works... that kind of thing. The target is a day /weekend boat with 5 seasons of life in it.

Its been ashore for a couple of years and is self described as "tatty", but unsure if that means cosmetic refurb or more in depth... so if someone can cast their eye and say "nope, its a full rebuild project, run away" or "its tatty, but solid" then that helps with deciding on if to go with a survey / talking offers etc vs moving on.

Marc

GunfleetSand

Visit site
Could you not find something closer to home to kick or is the Pin Mill football a steal?

If you are Scotland based (looking at your profile) then the project has to get to your home probably by road which is a few £k of the fixing up budget spent

mjcp

Visit site
Could you not find something closer to home to kick or is the Pin Mill football a steal?

If you are Scotland based (looking at your profile) then the project has to get to your home probably by road which is a few £k of the fixing up budget spent
Yup... but when has logic applied to sailing ;-)

Everywhere is a drive from where I am, Oban / Appin etc are 3-4hrs, so not ideal for "go see" trips. Yes, trucking it will be a few ££££, but then there's more choice when looking UK wide.

And then there's the heart strings. I sailed this specific boat when I was in my teens. 🤦‍♂️