Keeping a boat in the Canaries (non-resident)

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks, Stu, so basically my next question is, would it be possible to keep a boat in a marina for say 12 or longer, and spend 6 months in the UK and 6 monthis in the Canaries?

Yes. The issue is about residency of the person, then the implications for the person's assets. There are no restrictions on a non resident keeping a boat there an dusing it whenever they want provided they keep clear of the requirements for residency.

nortada

Visit site
The person, interestingly in Portugal its the boat, hence the dash to Ayamonte a few times a year.
Stu

True. Now to get the record straight, a bit of thread drift.

If you keep a boat continuously in Portuguese Waters, after 183 day, you are required to pay circulation tax, which is about €70 for a 40HP boat. The tax is based on engine HP. This is such a small amount it makes it hardly worth the effort or cost of trecking over to Spain!

However, if you depart Portuguese Waters (for say, an overnight stay in Spain), the clock restarts. Thus, if your boat is out of Portuguese Waters for the first week of July, it never becomes liable for circulation tax.

Older boats (pre 1976?) and boats with smaller engine (25HP?) are exempt this tax.

In sum, the amount to be paid is significant if you have a powerful mobo but not significant if you are a yottie.

This tax is on the calendar year and is not retrospective.

In practical terms, this tax is rarely, if ever, enforced. No doubt somebody will challenge me on this last statement. :encouragement:

Last edited:

Ian.S

Visit site
I’ve got 10 days booked on a mobo in June at Puerto Calero which we loved when we visited in October last year.

balder

Visit site
We've bought a second boat which we plan to sail to the Canaries and leave there as a Winter escape. Hoping to do the odd AirBnB let to help with Marina fees. (We stayed on a 39ft Jeanneau in Feb via AirBnB, so I know people are doing it successfully)

I lived aboard in the Canaries for six months ten years ago and we have friends with a boat who have been resident in the Canaries for many years and largely under the radar, but would appreciate helpful advice of a non-doom-laden nature from people with genuine relevant experience.

Boat is currently on Part1 in Guernsey, but will fall off it in a month due to insufficient paper trail and I will put her on Part3. I will have an ICC.

- W
Honestly, AirBnB in marinas is a nightmare and should be forbidden or strictly regulated as a true business with dedicated berths in the marinas. We saw people coming on boats, knowing nothing about " etiquette", boats, sea...Cockpits full of teenagers drinking and making noise all the night, non considering the bloody noise of their suitcases....The end of yachting..